Sponsored by:

Looking for track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Used GT3 wheels seem to go for $1200-1500 a set these days.
Not sure what you are using as data points. Haven't seen a set go for less than 2K. If you know of a place where they are selling them for $1200 then they'd be selling them all day long.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
dwishen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
can't beat BBS Racing wheels!!

...I just got these from a previous 996 GT3 owner (current 997 RS owner) and I love them!!!

Fronts are 10.0kg each, rears 10.2kg

Juha - Post more pics!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
can't beat BBS Racing wheels!!

...I just got these from a previous 996 GT3 owner (current 997 RS owner) and I love them!!!

Fronts are 10.0kg each, rears 10.2kg

Nice looking wheels, but not that lite. At those weights the fronts are 22 lbs and the rears are around 22.5 lbs. That's more than most of the lighter weight wheels out there. Also the rears should have more of a weight difference than the fronts due to the extra material from the width. Are you sure you have the weights right?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Nice looking wheels, but not that lite. At those weights the fronts are 22 lbs and the rears are around 22.5 lbs. That's more than most of the lighter weight wheels out there. Also the rears should have more of a weight difference than the fronts due to the extra material from the width. Are you sure you have the weights right?
My scale shouldn't be more than 1% off so yeah, that's what they weigh.
The width doesn't make a huge difference in the weight because the material thickness of the "drum" is rather small...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
02 Carrera, Very good points especially with the marginal improvement. At the end of the day I want to improve by my driving skills, but a little mechanical help does not hurt. My car is slightly lowered and has the basic saftey equiptment (DAS roll cage, harnesses, seats), and MPSC & pagid 19's. I am fighting the urge to go a total track setup because I still like driving the car on the street. Also, I want to continue to do upgrades one at a time. Expanding the performance of the car expands the gap between my skills and the cars ability which increases the ability for me to screw up.

CCW C14s were my second choice, but it is so much easier to have the wheels/tires sent from tirerack plus I save $200 + mounting which will be around $150 + dropping / picking up car. Seems like people on Rennlist are split between the Volks & CCW's, but both are good at a reasonable price.

I would be open for a good set of used track wheels which will be the best value.
Sorry, I have the advantage a good friend of mine owns a wheel and tire shop. I don't pay for mounting and balancing. He lets me come in and do my own whenever I want. I've gotten pretty good at I can easily have them done in under an hour. The fronts are always easy to mount up, but the rears are always a pain.

I dynamic balance my CCW classics with stick on weights on the outside edge and inside near the wheel center. I've never had a problem with wheel weights coming off and I don't tape over them. If you are having this problem, it is most likely the surface is not being properly cleaned before the wheel weights go on. I use Excello rubber prep, which strips off all the dirt, grip, grease and even dissolves adhesive from previous weights. Once they go on, you can pull the weight away from the adhesive easier than pulling the adhesive away from the wheel.

Last, I really don't care what my race wheels look like. We both have the same criteria, the best wheel for the price. I just want good quality, cheap and light set of wheels for racing, not car shows. I did specifically want a 3-piece wheels because if I ever had an incident, I only have to replace a wheel halve; which is a fraction of replacing an entire wheel. This is the only real true advantage of a 3-piece wheel over a 1-piece wheel. Why CCW? Because if BBS, iForged, HRE , Forgeline, etc. made a quality set of custom light 3-piece racing wheels cheaper than CCWs, I would have bought them. Since they don't, John got my business. This is also the reason why you see his wheels more than any others at SCCA national events, which is also how I found out about these wheels since John doesn't advertise and his only marketing is word of mouth.

Quick Reply: Looking for track wheels