Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lets start another oil war(JK) Mobil 15-50 is bak

I was in Wally world today trying to find some Rammstein music
and I walked through the oil section and I notice a sliver cap red labeled
Mobil 1 15-50 was there. The bottle was marked NEW design for high performance autos. Again out here it gets VERY hot (120 at Willow) and
15-50 is a popular choice. On the label it said designed for High performance driving, towing, hauling, and racing. It said original fill for corvettes cadillas,Dodge vipers and half of all NASCAR teams.
I think its the OLD formula that we all liked and they re re labeled it as new. Interesting as its also available in the 5 qt bottle to at a $5 savings. the old New extended performance 15-50 was not available in the 5 qt bottle. So anyway its out there again with asilver cap and red label (the place where its says 15-50W)
the rest of the bottle is silver.
anyway I thought I would pass that along.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This should be good.........once again.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

My dealer told me to use 0-40W Mobil 1.

There, how's that for fanning the flames?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marv
My dealer told me to use 0-40W Mobil 1.

There, how's that for fanning the flames?
Here, let me add some too.
I believe the Porsche technical papers also says 0-40W Mobil 1...

Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 0W/40 is the factory fill and is an extended oil change formulation. I don't think that Mobil 15W/50 is the same formulation and it will most probably cost a couple of HP because of the thicker viscosity.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe in montreal but try coming out here and sitting on the grid in 111 degrees. I am suprised you guys think there is one oil for all conditions. How many times does germany see 115 ambient? as an engineer I would think for different conditions a smart guy who changes his oil after each event or two would choose a different viscosity for different conditions. In Feb at Willow it can be 40 degrees and in july 110. I dont think ONE manual can cover all the conditions available all over the world. You can READ THE FREAKING MANUAL all you want.
Again
out here in the desert 15-50 is a favorite of all kinds of different racers(none from canada) Open wheel guys vintage guys motocross, street bikes and that oil disappeared and this new extended crap showed up and now the New formula( I think its our old favorite back because of complaints) just my opinion. I dont think Mobil would say Especially formulated for racing and extreme conditions (do they have extreme conditions in Montreal?) and then just put out some crap like the extended performance .
And do you honestly think the dealer is going to carry 3 different fills for various conditions? No he is going to carry one to keep costs down.
AND how many dealers are in hot areas? Vegas and Bakersfield. But I think for out here at willow springs and Buttonwillow 15-50 is a great choice. And its back which was the point of this post- its been gone for a year.

Another thing that is humorous is none of you guys trust your "stealer" then
the "dealer" says use 0-40w and all of a sudden its gospel.

Again the point of this post was that the RED cap Mobil one 15-50 was a great oil and it disappeared for a year. Now its back I am happy, you dont have to use it but in the spring summer and fall out here I am going to.
I was kidding about starting an oil war (hasnt someone done that before?-dont go there!!) just wanted to let you know a good oil is back.

Last edited by OldGuy; 04-15-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it in WW today as well. Thought about posting it, but I figured I'd let someone else do the honors of starting another oil pi$$ing match.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I really didnt want to start a pissing match just wanted to let the ones who used this stuff that is was back. At least I think its the same stuff. I was not comfortable with this new 15-50 extended refoumulated gold cap thats been out for a year. Its almost the "New coke Classic coke scenario" remember that brohaha? enough complaints and you can get stuff changed occasionallly.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

The dealer/factory have different reasons for their "approved list"... Remember, they have to warranty cats (emission system) for a long time in CA. Some additive packages have been shown to be somewhat harmful for the longevity of the catalytic converters. But, the same additives are needed for wear protection in the engine--- so a trade off has to be made.

If Porsche were to throw out the emissions considerations, throw out the CAFE requirements, throw out the various considerations for climate differences where they sell their cars, and focused on what lubricant was best for the performance and longevity of the engine, would the approved list still be the same?

Some claim to know what the race teams run in their cars, and I would bet that is most likely proprietary information, it's probably not released to the public. Besides, the requirements for racing are not the same as street cars, so even that isn't a good measure.

So, considering all of that, is 0W/40 still the best for an engine in California? Or, is it possible that a 10W/40, or 15W/50 are actually better for high temp, fast driving?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Blackness
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
Some claim to know what the race teams run in their cars, and I would bet that is most likely proprietary information, it's probably not released to the public. Besides, the requirements for racing are not the same as street cars, so even that isn't a good measure.
Don't take this as an endorsement from someone with legitimate authority. Just reporting what I saw. I realize it's a racing V8 vs. a Flat-6, but the Penske Spyders at Sebring were running Mobil 1, 0W40. Unless they had secretly refilled the several cases of it sitting in their pit stall with a secret sauce.

OldGuy -- Not trying to criticize. It just seems these discussions can spiral out of control rather quickly.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh I know -but that 15-50 red cap has been missing for a long time and I know guys here use it so when I saw it I posted it. I dont think Sebring sees the temps we do here in the Mojave. Again I didnt want to start a debate and posted the title with the just kidding JK symbol so that we WOULD NOT get into it again. I know where we work out here in the desert when we blow up helicopter transfer cases or what ever else we study fo surviability we change oils based on temps and conditions. Like I said I know for a fact having been at WS and button willow many time- lots of guys use the Mobil 1 15-50 and it went away. I wanted to let
them know that I think it might be back. I keep forgeting we have all these petroleum engineering experts here. I was just trying to pass on info not start a pissing contest. And seperate of the track guys I know alot of desert racers and MX here all use 15-50 in the summer- those arent 45K motors but alot of guys have up to 10K in their four stroke honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawaski and KTM motors and to them thats alot of dough. They were all pissed when the red cap 15-50 went away. But I think the same formula is back. Of course all the hot weather and desert experts from Canada think we are all stupid. I was just trying pass on info for those who used to use it.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve in San Diego thats a good question I am not an expert in your temps. I know (obviously) closer to the coast its really cool (60's) then just out a few miles Escondido it can be over 100. I dont know what I would run there. Here in june I get up at 6 AM to go to work and its already 88 and will hit the top of the thermometer by 1pm. I try to use my car only early on weekends and not drive it during the work week if I dont have too but sometimes I just cant help it.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Here is Mobils explanation of the new 15-50

I was wrong I guess about it being the old formula This is directly from the
Mobiloil site regarding the reintroduction of the 15-50 oil:

Why are you reintroducing Mobil 1 15W-50? Have there been any changes to the formulation, or is it identical to the previous product?

Mobil 1 15W-50 is being reintroduced based on popular demand. Mobil 1 15W-50 provides higher viscosity, designed to provide extra protection for performance vehicles and vehicles that operate in severe service, such as towing, hauling and racing. Additionally, Mobil 1 15W-50 contains higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP or Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) that may be required for certain racing applications and camshaft designs. This is a new Mobil 1 15W-50 formulation and is not the same as the product that was marketed a few years ago.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know several cup racers here in So Cal use the 15/50 in the summer months for hot tracks like WIllow Springs. I now have about 50 hours on my motor and will switch to 15/50 before the summer...
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks JR- I was beginning to feel like a man on an island!! I just wanted to pass on some new info.

Quick Reply: Lets start another oil war(JK) Mobil 15-50 is bak