Sponsored by:

Second wheel balancing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second wheel balancing issue

Food for thought. As I was absorbing all the different sensations a GT3 delivers over my 996 I felt there might be a wheel balance issue. I decided I would take it to Moroso, Guilford, CT. Those guys are perfectionists and a certified Tire Rack installer WITH the Hunter 9700 machine. Not to take anything away from Moroso but the moral of the story here is the 9700 machine....
My first car, a 996 had more obvious balance issues the dealer tried to correct during the purchase. They did not get it right. The dealer did not own a 9700. After they said they did all four and I could see the weights were the same on two sides so I took that car to Moroso. One wheel was way out of wack. Guess what fixed it? They took off ALL THE WEIGHTS and the wheel balanced perfect!!!
So, back to the GT3 at hand. A little vibration maybe, only had 75 highway miles on it and was still feeling it out but was prety sure. Over to Moroso. Three wheels pretty close but we cleaned them up, stripped the lead and re-did them perfectly. The fourth- yup, way off and a right front at that. We stripped all the weight, spun it again and you guessed it- perfect with no weight. I think they throw the wheel on a balancer. They see it might be off so they keep adding weight to fix the bad weight already there. Rediculous.
I will check my wheels on every car purchase fom here on out. I will do it with some frequency, annually, twice a year, whatever. More often, I know that for sure. I will never go to a dealer for this service. I will never let anyone balance my wheels without a Hunter 9700. I love being able to shoot the bull with the guy doing the work, in this case a great guy at Moroso and something about watching a high tech machine come up all 00.00 for required weight is a good feeling and a very good drive.
Check your wheels guys, especially if you bought your car from a dealer and haven't done this since then.

Quick Reply: Second wheel balancing issue