Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging lazy LVDell. Nitto report due ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 12:01 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sucky review. Need better.
Old 03-08-2007 | 07:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
That's a sucky review. Need better.

I could review the PS2's instead

Originally Posted by Holger B
Dell, it it's not in the sidewall, why not just patch it until the new one comes in?
My guy at Discount Tire he "could" do that with both a plug and patch but that he didn't feel comfy giving me a tire patched that he knows is going to see serious triple digit speeds and alot of lateral load. His boss HIGHLY rec'd against it as well. I totally agreed with that and decided I could just wait till the new one comes in. The idea of that tire failing and having rapid pressure loss or changing the property of the grip level was a risk I just wasn't going to take. It probably would have been just fine for one weekend but not worth it IMHO.

I'll ready for VIR!!!!
Old 03-08-2007 | 08:47 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yup, but that got nowhere. I even talked to my sales agent about it and she said "tell me about it!, I have replaced 2 sets myself" to which I followed up asking her if the builder reimburses her for the cost and she laughed and said not a chance. Needless to say I am not very impressed with the subs out here. At least all my tires are now on road hazzard so it isn't to pricey when I replace them. But when each of the tires went for the first time I didn't have a road hazzard since they were new tires on a new car (the GT3 and Caynnene).
Wow that's a first for me. I've been in and around construction site my entire life and find this wierd. Inside and around the houses is normal but out on the street. Unless the foreman drives around with is tailgate open and box full of nails, this looks more like the carpenters or roofers are pissed and sprinkle nails at the end of the day.

In any case, this sucks big time but hope you'll have fun at VIR this week-end. Watch out for Larry and his boys and don't forget what the mirror says; object are closer then thay appear!!
Old 03-08-2007 | 10:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Tell me about it! There is crap everywhere. The worst part is when it rains I see nails, etc, shooting down the gutters out onto the driveway and running down the street

Just chaps my ***. I have never seen such a crappy group of subs in my life. Built my last home as well and the manner in which they built, the subs that were used, and the cleanliness of the 'hood during construction was impecable! WTF is going on here. You complain and it goes nowhere. And the kicker? Same builder from before but different city.
Old 03-08-2007 | 10:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

sprinkle some nails around the jobsite office
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:03 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
sprinkle some nails around the jobsite office
Big time! You know, what's good for the goose.....
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thought about that Chris, but I am a big believer in in that little thing called karma. Those guys will get their's at some point.
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:39 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thought about that Chris, but I am a big believer in in that little thing called karma. Those guys will get their's at some point.
I was just joking btw.

I believe in karma. What goes around comes around.
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:41 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I believe in karma. What goes around comes around.
Yeah, but who says it's against Karma to help it come around a little?
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:43 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

I'm sure Dell could conjure up a creative solution to bring it to the construction company's attention.
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Old 03-20-2007 | 11:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, in lieu of Dell's report, we'd like to say that the Nittos work great. My son Dan in his 951 was chasing Chris L, 930 Rocket and Forklift around the track this past weekend on brand new Nitto NT01s. They work right out of the box; no long break-in time like Toyo RA1s. We'll give them 2
Old 03-20-2007 | 11:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

ok ok ok, I'll get my report done. I am just going to stop prepping for the lecture I give in 15 min.

I can confrim what Larry stated about "ready right out of the box". I needed only 1 good warm up lap to get them to temp and another lap to get them dialed in.

The grip level was AWESOME. But more importantly I could totally control the car with these tires. The break-away was VERY progressive. Almost like a trailbrake feeling that you feel whether or not you have to throttle or feather off. I was really able to rotate the car beautifully trailbraking from the entrance of 11 and through oak tree (T12). As well I was able to trailbrake both LEFT and RIGHT entrering the top of roller coaster and then rotate in the bottom just before you enter hogpen at the compression. Grip level was very confidence inspiring.

Moving from PS2's to these NT01's I noticed one major difference. I was able to brake deeper without ABS kicking in. With the PS2's the ABS would always kick in if I called for more brakes especially at the turn in of T1. These tires can grip what the RS19's give you in terms of braking.

The price was right, the grip level was great. My only 2 complaints were (1) they temporarily flat-spot after a run session of spirited driving. Resting the car you could tell at the beginning of the next session a speed depndent thumping sound for about 1-1.5 laps and then the compound would relax once again and the "thump" was gone. (2) for some reason these tires generated a TON of heat in my first session out. I was aiming for 37-38F/39-40R by starting at a cold temp of 30F/32F. When I did, my temps coming in where really high 38F/43R. I changed to a start of 27F/31R and got them dialed in nicely (37F/39R). Trust me, you will know when you exceed 40psi on the track. sliding is WAY pronounced.

Just like Larry, I would definitely gives these boys a

I have been on street tires for 3 years now and this is my first experience on R-Comps so take that for what it's worth. FYI....my lap times dropped 5-6 seconds and that was even in traffic! I would estimate 7-8 seconds if I had clear track. I'll follow up again after my next VIR event in May if I have more open track to get a better feel.
Old 03-20-2007 | 12:17 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dell!

Been watching this thread and others on the NT01's. Your info is great and just what I was hoping to hear! Especially since I just ordered a set less than an hour ago.

Questions about the conditions, what was the temp and weather that day?

My first time out will be March 13th. Can't wait!
Old 03-20-2007 | 01:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oops, forgot to post weather and temps. Weather was in the 40's and windy with partly sunny to sunny conditions. In otherwords, FLIPPIN cold

Like I said, the great thing is these are ready right out of the box and do NOT need to be heat cycled and then rested to maximize their performance like the MPSC, etc.

Next, I will see how many heeat cycles I get before they are corded since from what I have read and heard you can run these until they cord unlike the MPSC that start to get hard and take alot more heat production to get them to temp as your heat cycles increase. From what I have heard the MPSC really drops off around the 15 heat cycle mark.

Also, next time out I will make sure to take more info down like tire temp across the tread, air pressure gain, etc.

Quick Reply: Paging lazy LVDell. Nitto report due ASAP!