Sponsored by:

Carbotech brake pads for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:52 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech brake pads for GT3

I've been looking at switching to Carbotech pads on my race cars as they've gotten a lot of good reviews among the club racers in my circles (obviously in the racing, not street, compounds and use.)

So I'm wondering what the feedback is in the GT3 world. They are one of the few (only?) alternatives to the Pagid pads for the GT3. Any of you guys run them on the street or track? They've got street, AX, and three racing compounds to choose from. Which ones have you tried, and in what application?

-Juan

Last edited by 9juanjuan; 02-09-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

you may want to PM cosmos. he may be on carbotech, i can't remember.
but 95% of GT3 are on pagids, if they used aftermkt pads.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:12 AM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Mooty, Thanks for the pointer! -Juan
Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

I run Carbotech XP10 on the E46 M3 and love them. As far as I know they do not have GT3 pads in stock but they can make any pads you like if you send them the backing plates. Very good people to work with and a phone call is all it takes.

Peter
Old 02-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
but 95% of GT3 are on pagids, if they used aftermkt pads.

Why is this? Somewhat a rhetorical question mind you. The guys at Synergy are advising me to try the Performance Friction pads. I understand that depending on what series you run certain pads are mandated but...

When they returned from Daytona he told me how they had the brand new cup car delivered with the Pagids and when all of their drivers tested those and then switched to the PFC 97s that Westbrook, Leitz and Huisman all preferred the feel of the 97s to the Pagids.

I wonder if the 97s would be enough given the additional weight and non adjustable bias of the street cars and whether PFC 01s might be better.

Sorry to get slightly
Old 02-10-2007, 12:02 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I run Carbotech XP10 on the E46 M3 and love them. As far as I know they do not have GT3 pads in stock but they can make any pads you like if you send them the backing plates. Very good people to work with and a phone call is all it takes.
Peter,

I talked to Carbotech, and you don't have to send them the backing plates for GT3. You just order them in whatever compound you want. They can make more pads if they don't already have your choice of compound in stock for GT3.

Do you run the XP10 on the street, and if so, how well do they do? Carbotech said they would dust up a lot. But they also said that the dust that the ceramic material produces is much more benign than the black sooty stuff from typical pad material.

-Juan
Old 02-10-2007, 12:08 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

One other thing Carbotech told me was that you can use different compounds front and rear to adjust brake bias. They have three race compounds XP8, XP10, and XP12 (in order of increasing torque.) For the Spec Miatas, many seem to like to reduce the rear bias by stepping the rears down one level.

-Juan
Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Juan,

One of the nicest things about Carbotech is they may be dusty but it washes off really easy. I was running XP8's on the M3 but I toasted them at Sebring so am switching them to XP10's. XP8's worked great on the street and I just installed the XP10's last night and will bed them in today and let you know how they do on the street.

Peter

Originally Posted by 9juanjuan
Peter,

I talked to Carbotech, and you don't have to send them the backing plates for GT3. You just order them in whatever compound you want. They can make more pads if they don't already have your choice of compound in stock for GT3.

Do you run the XP10 on the street, and if so, how well do they do? Carbotech said they would dust up a lot. But they also said that the dust that the ceramic material produces is much more benign than the black sooty stuff from typical pad material.

-Juan
Old 02-11-2007, 02:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Why is this? Somewhat a rhetorical question mind you. The guys at Synergy are advising me to try the Performance Friction pads. I understand that depending on what series you run certain pads are mandated but...

When they returned from Daytona he told me how they had the brand new cup car delivered with the Pagids and when all of their drivers tested those and then switched to the PFC 97s that Westbrook, Leitz and Huisman all preferred the feel of the 97s to the Pagids.

I wonder if the 97s would be enough given the additional weight and non adjustable bias of the street cars and whether PFC 01s might be better.

Sorry to get slightly
actually i dont konw why.
but literally all the GT3 owners i spoke with (not cup car) use pagid. i am not saying they are IT, but just very common.

at some pt, i would like to try PF pads too.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
actually i dont konw why.
but literally all the GT3 owners i spoke with (not cup car) use pagid. i am not saying they are IT, but just very common.

at some pt, i would like to try PF pads too.

That's my point Mooty. I would just continue to use Pagids without even thinking twice were it not for Synergy. They want me to try the PF components as did Jon Groom Racing who set the car up for Jerseybean before I bought it from him. I think I will give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which ones are you gettting?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by va122
Which ones are you gettting?
They want me to give the 97s a shot. I have been running the RS-14s all the way around. It is a love/hate relationship with the hard initial bite up front. It is nice to haul her down but can be "touchy" trail braking with all that bite up front.

I have been waiting to see if someone will help me with 97 vs. 01s.

Synergy likes and uses the 97s but they are not allowed to use the 01s and their cup cars weigh some 500-600 lbs less.

So...
Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris,

I'm considering rs-19 up front and 14 in back. I hate the *** getting twitchy under hard braking and think the rear bias would be helpful in that respect. I'm not comfortable trailbraking with the rear like that. You could call PFC and ask, Lawson Ashenbach uses them on his 997 WC cup, I'm hesitant to use a full race compound though. I don't want to have to worry about cold brakes in a 3 lap TT.

Would you go with the 01?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by va122
Hey Chris,

I'm considering rs-19 up front and 14 in back. I hate the *** getting twitchy under hard braking and think the rear bias would be helpful in that respect. I'm not comfortable trailbraking with the rear like that. You could call PFC and ask, Lawson Ashenbach uses them on his 997 WC cup, I'm hesitant to use a full race compound though. I don't want to have to worry about cold brakes in a 3 lap TT.

Would you go with the 01?

That is why I said that Jon Groom Racing, who Lawson won with last year and set the car up that I currently own, mentioned to my car's previous owner that they wanted him to try the PFC.

Which ones, I don't know. Synergy would like me to try the 97s which is their endurance pad.

I currently run the RS-14s all the way around and though I feel like I could stop from a carrier launch, I think I have to work much harder controlling the car than I need.

Follow my other thread about Why Pagids and hopefully we will all be the better from the knowledge that ensues.

Quick Reply: Carbotech brake pads for GT3