Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Two to one ratio.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you really want to move over the NT01 form the MPSC then IMHO you should sell the 2 new rears. There are plenty of guys that would want those. If not, run your MPSC's till you need a full new set and then make the move.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, I know I could do that and I really don't want to mix MPSC and Nittos for track use, for the street it's different. But if the Nittos are that much better, I'd rather start off with them.

This is the problem with the off season, too much thinking and analysing and not enough driving
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Pete, you are so right about the off season. To much thinking and not enough driving! Damn I need to get to the track. 21 days, 17 hours til my next run session
Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool You don't buy the no mixing tires concept??

You write, ""don't use different tires on the same car theory", but I don't buy too much into that."

Let's see now, the front tires have 20 heat cycles, they don't/can't hook up that well anymore, and the rears are brand new and they hook up like a demon. To me that sounds like a formula for disaster.

Last weekend, I trired new RA-1 on the rear, old tires on the front...that car was a handful. I came off the track and changed over to my Hankooks. I am going to sell the 245/40/17 RA-1s with one heat cycle on them. Based on my personal experience, I wont mix and match track tires.

Maybe it is no big deal on the street, but on the track, I just wont do it. I find that its all based on heat cycles..after X heat cycles, the tires are probably toast. Of course it depends on how hard you drive the car, the weight of the car.

Cost of tires, The Nittos and the Hankooks are about the same in 225 and 275/17 sizes. I love them Hankooks!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
You write, ""don't use different tires on the same car theory", but I don't buy too much into that."

Let's see now, the front tires have 20 heat cycles, they don't/can't hook up that well anymore, and the rears are brand new and they hook up like a demon. To me that sounds like a formula for disaster.

Last weekend, I trired new RA-1 on the rear, old tires on the front...that car was a handful. I came off the track and changed over to my Hankooks. I am going to sell the 245/40/17 RA-1s with one heat cycle on them. Based on my personal experience, I wont mix and match track tires.

Maybe it is no big deal on the street, but on the track, I just wont do it. I find that its all based on heat cycles..after X heat cycles, the tires are probably toast. Of course it depends on how hard you drive the car, the weight of the car.

Cost of tires, The Nittos and the Hankooks are about the same in 225 and 275/17 sizes. I love them Hankooks!
With a mix of DE's and AutoX on a very abbrasive surface, I wear tires out way before heat cycling becomes an issue. I've never had a problem on the street with different tires on front to rear as I tend to drive very conservatively on the street. I keep my tire dealer very happy.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool My post above refers to big track events, 2+ miles...

not auto cross. I really have no experience in that area.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So, where are we on the Nitto N01s?

It looks as if this thread ran out of gas before the season started. Lots of anticipation and speculation, but not alot of real world experience. So, where are we on the following issues:

1. rubbing/scraping of 245/315?

2. tire pressures?

3. wear/heat cycling?

4. handling?

Thanks, Andy
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

1. Slight rub of fender liner at full lock when new. Burn off some rubber and it starts to go away.

2. Target sweet spot for me is 36F 38R

3. They wear really well. I need more camber up front though. No need to heat cycle. Great right out of the box.

4. Handling is fantastic! Maybe a second slower a lap than the cups and 2 seconds slower than the hoosier (for me at VIR) but they COMMUNICATE like a PS2 but grip almost as well as a cup or hoosier. IMHO this is a great TRANSISTIONAL tire when going from PS2's to Hoosier's at the track. I can totally control the slip angle with these tires. Trailbraking is a blast b/c I can modulate perfectly without worrying about instant break-away like the cups. This is a very progressive tire.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the key right there Dell.... Thanks. When my Cups are done, I'll give the Nittos a try. Let's hope Discount Tire Online gets them back in stock. I looked yesterday and only one distribution center had the rears. They are backordered on the fronts.

-B
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

After these Nitto's are done, I will either run them one more time, or go to Hoosiers. I will NOT move to Hoosiers unless I feel ready for that next level of grip and less communication. I think I am ready for them as my skill is right up there but I am very OCD about taking baby steps in a progression of learning everything there is to learn about the car and I do NOT want to risk masking something skill (or lack of it) related due to mechanical grip.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point Dell. I was very comfortable on PS2s, and loved the audible feedback. I am struggling with the MSPCs - love the grip, but miss the feedback. Learning to "feel" the car is my biggest challenge...

In an ideal world, it sounds like the progression should be: PS2 -> Nitto -> MPSC -> Hoosier Slicks. I know that one might want to drop the MPSCs, but I view them as a nice incremental step to Hoosiers.

My $0.02,

-B
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback, Dell.

I'm running MPSC, which I like when new, but after heat cycling the grip drops like an anvil off a cliff.

I'll trade some grip for more feedback and progressive breakaway and more consistent grip over the life of the tire.

Andy

PS: Anyone know when the Toyo R888 will be available int he U.S. in our sizes?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

One more question, Dell: you're running these on the factory rims, right?

Andy
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
In an ideal world, it sounds like the progression should be: PS2 -> Nitto -> MPSC -> Hoosier Slicks. I know that one might want to drop the MPSCs, but I view them as a nice incremental step to Hoosiers.

My $0.02,

-B
The MPSC are junk. Not a good tire at all for the GT3. The only time that is a great tire is when it is new and when it is HOT outside (ambient and track).

I would go PS2->Nitto->Hoosier R6->Slicks

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
Thanks for the feedback, Dell.

I'm running MPSC, which I like when new, but after heat cycling the grip drops like an anvil off a cliff.

I'll trade some grip for more feedback and progressive breakaway and more consistent grip over the life of the tire.

Andy

PS: Anyone know when the Toyo R888 will be available int he U.S. in our sizes?
This is the reason I love the Nitto so much (and the PS2) but really hate the MPSC.

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
One more question, Dell: you're running these on the factory rims, right?

Andy
Yup! (245F 315R)

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01....pics and specs before my road test