Sponsored by:

daily driving with 5 point?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:37 PM
bam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily driving with 5 point?

I recently had my car outfitted with the Euro GT3 seats and 5 point harness. I still kept my3 point system in the car for daily driving.

However, my brother in law who is a pilot and fellow track driver said he prefers to fly/drive with a 5 point buckle system. He also said over time I would enjoy the 5 point system more than the 3 point system.

I have driven my GT3 once in regular traffic with the 5 point system. I kept the shoulder straps a bit loose so I could look over my shoulder. I liked the secure feeling, but wasn't sure if it diminished my range of vision, especially for merging.

My question to those that have 5 point buckle systems, is do you prefer or drive using it in regular traffic? How does it compare in your mind to the 3 point system for daily driving? Still trying to make up my mind, thanks for any feedback.

bob
Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a number of threads on this subject so it may be worth a search. That being said it is generally not a good idea with a standard harness as you can't wear a HANs or a neck brace on the street. A good street 5 or 6 point harness that is safe is one of the Schroth ASM equipped harnesses which will help to dissipate neck snap (read serious injury) in a frontal collision. The ASM harnesses heave recently been approved for use with a HANs so you don't have to swap the shoulder straps on the track unless you run in sanctioned events. In this case it is required as the belt is not marked as being FIA approved with a HANs. As to wearing 5 or 6 point harnesses on the street, I have found it to personally be more of a PITA then it is worth. Mine stay strapped back unless it is a track day. My Euro seats keep my snug as a bug even with the 3 point harnesses.

And if you are not wearing a HANs on the track, you are a fool but we won't get into that!

Last edited by Blacksport350; 12-24-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
I kept the shoulder straps a bit loose so I could look over my shoulder.
Wouldn't that defeat the benefit of the 5 point?

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
My Euro seats keep my snug as a bug even with the 3 point harnesses.
Same here.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Schroth 6 point harness on my car in "daily driving" (I commute with bicycle but tool around with my 993).
It's a little pain I guess (buckling takes longer, you can only reach close etc.) but since I hate weight, I couldn't keep the 3-points alongside with the 6 points, I don't mind the little hassle, they're just fine IMO.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, isn't it "illegal" to drive a car on the street with 5 or 6 point harnesses, or is it OK so as long as it has a single push to release button?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The ASM harnesses heave recently been approved for use with a HANs so you don't have to swap the shoulder straps on the track unless you run in sanctioned events.
Interesting. Where did you hear/read this information?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For spirited drives yes but no way for just tooling around town.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
It appears as though you can not use ASM with HANS:
http://www.schroth.com/installation-...ologations.htm

Models with SCHROTH asm® Safety System

The asm® System

asm® is the acronym for anti-submarining [submarining = sliding underneath the lap belt during a frontal impact]. This phenomenon is likely to occur in a 4-point harness belt, and is significantly reduced by the patented asm® safety system. Therefore, all SCHROTH racing harnesses sold as 4-point harnesses and likely to be used as such, are equipped with the asm® system. It consists of an energy converter located in the inboard shoulder belt. Must be purchased as left and/or right harnesses, depending upon which side you want to install the harness.

Since every accident is different, always keep in mind that Profi asm® harness belts, just like other racing harnesses, cannot guarantee against severe injuries, death and other risks during an accident. Head and neck supports provide further reduction of head deceleration and neck forces. The SCHROTH asm® safety system cannot substitute for the effectiveness of e.g. a HANS®. The asm® system in SCHROTH racing harnesses should never be used with such devices since it provides for a slight rotation of the upper body as well as some shoulder belt slack which are not wanted in conjunction with any head and neck restraints.

Has something since changed?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the US I don't believe that any 5 or 6 point systems are DOT approved and as such are not legal for street use.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Good question. Is it legal in your state to use them?

I know it wasn't legal (at least in some states) some years back, but don't know if that has changed.

I guess you should first check with your state laws and next, are there any harnesses that are DOT approved?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, isn't it "illegal" to drive a car on the street with 5 or 6 point harnesses, or is it OK so as long as it has a single push to release button?
Yes, it is illegal unless it was a simple push button release and Schrothe makes those but you wouldn't catch me using one on the track.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
HMS (the US importer) and Schroth. Apparently they crash tested the combination with good results so it is no recommended but the labeling on the harness has not caught up to the recommendation so it is not FIA certified as a combo yet (or was not as of 6 months ago).
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
It appears as though you can not use ASM with HANS:
http://www.schroth.com/installation-...ologations.htm
Has something since changed?
Yes, call HMS (the Schroth importer). I can't imagine that Schroth changed thei r mind and then changed it again but stranger things have happened.

Originally the ASM belts were marked "not for use with a HANS" as were the instructions, etc. This was because the performance of the pair was not tested and unkown. It was since tested and approved but the ASM harness has not been relabled to reflect this. I also talked to one of the guys at HANS about this about 6 months ago and they didn't see an issue with the ASM harness and hadt the utmost faith in Schroth's findings as they are the licensed manufacturer of the HANS device in Europe.

The only downside that we could see was that on a multiple impact crash, the shoulder belt would not be as tight on the HANS so it may not be as effective. However, it is not uncommon for the shoulder harness to pop off the HANS after the initial impact (hence the developement of the Schroth HANS shoulder strap) as well but both of these are a whole different can of worms!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Yes, it is illegal unless it was a simple push button release and Schrothe makes those but you wouldn't catch me using one on the track.
I think the words DOT approved must be on there somewhere to qualify. Do they specifically say DOT?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 32 Posts

I could have sworn Schroth's belts were the only ones that were DOT approved, but I don't have any DOT signage on my Profi belts.

Back to the topic, although I have used my 5-pt harness on the street, I think it would be a PITA to use every day.

Btw, do you have a rollbar in your car? If not, then using any type of shoulder harness would not be a good idea in case of a rollover.

Quick Reply: daily driving with 5 point?