Sponsored by:

Finally drove my first GT3: my unsolicited opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Finally drove my first GT3: my unsolicited opinion

My friend let my drive his Manthey-equipped GT3 yesterday for a short time. I've been eager to try one. Here are my thoughts on this car:

The GT3 harkens back to the days of the early 911s... specifically the 2.0 911 S. It is a car that can keep you busy keeping the revs in the right RPM range so that a Scion doesn't blow your doors off. But once you're in that sweet spot, this car is a joy to drive. This is a true driver's car in the manner of the older 911s... very engaging, very fast, and heaps of fun. Of course, the older 911s don't hold a candle in terms of road holding or power... its that "spirit" that connects them.

The car is very easy to drive fast. It is very well connected, and very responsive. I couldn't find any faults with its manners at all. This car had the GT3 euro seats which add to the enjoyment... until you try to get out of the car. My advice... just stay in the damn car. I couldn't see any reason why this car wouldn't be appropriate for a daily driver... even at my old age, this car didn't feel too stiff or abusive for normal driving.

Bottom line... would I trade Rufus for a GT3? No. But If I were shopping for a 911, this car would be right at the top of my list.

You guys are all very fortunate to have such a great car which has all the right spirit.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

glad you like it steve.
now if old guy would drive the damn car up so i can thrash it around laguna seca....... LOL
Old 12-18-2006, 07:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,165 Likes on 599 Posts

i can't wait to have both...
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

CJ,

The 997 GT3 will be a perfect counter-point to your monster 993TT. Owning both is the perfect solution. Now... if I can just start working on that slider.....
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you should test a 996 Gt2 then you are wanting to do the trade..
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Rickard,

The 996 GT2 is a great car. But it does not tempt me out of my Ruf turbo R. Luckily, we all get to choose the perfect car for ourselves. The GT3 is such a different animal to any of the turbo cars... fun in a very different way. For me... the Ruf Turbo R. For you the GT2. Excellent choices all around.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Rickard,

The 996 GT2 is a great car. But it does not tempt me out of my Ruf turbo R. Luckily, we all get to choose the perfect car for ourselves. The GT3 is such a different animal to any of the turbo cars... fun in a very different way. For me... the Ruf Turbo R. For you the GT2. Excellent choices all around.
You are so right

I hav own a 993 turbo and i was a great car but no near the gt2 i now own, but as you say, we all like diffrent things
Old 12-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

My friend let my drive his Manthey-equipped GT3 yesterday for a short time. I've been eager to try one. Here are my thoughts on this car:

The GT3 harkens back to the days of the early 911s... specifically the 2.0 911 S. It is a car that can keep you busy keeping the revs in the right RPM range so that a Scion doesn't blow your doors off. But once you're in that sweet spot, this car is a joy to drive. This is a true driver's car in the manner of the older 911s... very engaging, very fast, and heaps of fun. Of course, the older 911s don't hold a candle in terms of road holding or power... its that "spirit" that connects them.

The car is very easy to drive fast. It is very well connected, and very responsive. I couldn't find any faults with its manners at all. This car had the GT3 euro seats which add to the enjoyment... until you try to get out of the car. My advice... just stay in the damn car. I couldn't see any reason why this car wouldn't be appropriate for a daily driver... even at my old age, this car didn't feel too stiff or abusive for normal driving.

Bottom line... would I trade Rufus for a GT3? No. But If I were shopping for a 911, this car would be right at the top of my list.

You guys are all very fortunate to have such a great car which has all the right spirit.
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Btw, was this OldGuy's car?

Rich
Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea Rich it was mine.
early sunday we drove to the VCR for the euro show in calabassas
he caught me twice one on ramp to the I was in 3rd and should have been
in 2nd and once on the freeway he took off and I was in 4th and should have been in third. I stayed in third and the next time he took off I stayed with him.
I think you could hustle the GT3 around the track as fast as the RUF but you would
have to work alot harder. In the RUF you could turn a fast lap sip your latte and wave at the crowd. its that strong.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a car that can keep you busy keeping the revs in the right RPM range so that a Scion doesn't blow your doors off.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan that was a poke at me. Saturday nite we followed old Stevey ca993twin to a party. I was with my buddy Rand (formerly a 993 rennlister) in his 360 Modena. It was raining saturyday nite in Los Angeles (Randy and I are both from the desert) , so Old Stevey wont take his car out, cause its raining. Here we are in the GT3 and a 360 trying to follow him in his scion on wet hi-ways in bumper to bumper traffic at night. The 101 to be exact. So both Rand and I were hesitant to go scampering through traffic since we WERENT in our back up cars!
Steve is just having some fun at my expense!!LOL
Old 12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

"I think you could hustle the GT3 around the track as fast as the RUF but you would
have to work alot harder."

My impression is that on all but the very fastest tracks, the GT3 would have a decided advantage over the Ruf, due to the lighter weight and newer chassis design. Especially with the Manthey and other upgrades on OldGuys car. They are very, very different cars. Both fun, both great. Yehaw. Thanks again, Paul.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dan that was a poke at me. Saturday nite we followed old Stevey ca993twin to a party. I was with my buddy Rand (formerly a 993 rennlister) in his 360 Modena. It was raining saturyday nite in Los Angeles (Randy and I are both from the desert) , so Old Stevey wont take his car out, cause its raining. Here we are in the GT3 and a 360 trying to follow him in his scion on wet hi-ways in bumper to bumper traffic at night. The 101 to be exact. So both Rand and I were hesitant to go scampering through traffic since we WERENT in our back up cars!
Steve is just having some fun at my expense!!LOL
Ah makes sense now. Otherwise I was wondering what the scion had under its hood!

Quick Reply: Finally drove my first GT3: my unsolicited opinion