Sponsored by:

Porsche owners club vs. Porsche Club of america

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 AM
dsts6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche owners club vs. Porsche Club of america

Which do you recommend and do they compare and should I just sign up for both?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Both
Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsts6
Which do you recommend and do they compare and should I just sign up for both?
I think PCA is worthwhile. The Panorama magazine you get with membership is decent and there is quite a bit of activity on the classifieds.

Never heard of the Porsche Owners Club tho. What's that about? Similar to PCA?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 AM
dsts6
Instructor

Similar but i believe its only in Socal, porsche ownersclub
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are located on the west coast..especially socal then POC is the way to go...great group and great steps to full out racing...there are also a couple of PCA events in socal but they are not as active...if you are midwest or east coast then PCA...
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

POC is not to be confused with PBOC (Porsche-BMW Owners' Club), primarily a southeast group. Also worthwhile for some.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

If you live in Cali then join both, if not then PCA.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM
HooliganX
Racer

If you're into track events then POC is the only way to go. They have outstanding programs for anything from DE to full racing.

I tried the local PCA chapter (Orange Coast) for a couple years but they are more focused on concours (sp) and wine tasting drives. They just didn't offer any events I found interesting. I hear the San Diego PCA chapter does more DE and track events.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Agena
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Jon, if you're in SoCal, then POC offers a great program to help you become a better driver. I have on occasion, participated in PCA events in LA and Phoenix; so join both if in SoCal.

Jon, will we see you out this February?
Ken
Old 12-16-2006, 12:22 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HooliganX
If you're into track events then POC is the only way to go. They have outstanding programs for anything from DE to full racing.

I tried the local PCA chapter (Orange Coast) for a couple years but they are more focused on concours (sp) and wine tasting drives. They just didn't offer any events I found interesting. I hear the San Diego PCA chapter does more DE and track events.
Just wondering how PCA up here in NorCal compares with POC. For example, GGR PCA have 5 or so DE/TT events planned for 07 and they typically have quite a few AX events throughout the year. The other regions up here have many events as well. Is that in the ballpark of the POC level of activity?
or maybe OC PCA is just a little lame...
Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out POC's calendar for 2007. They run their short track series on the Streets of Willow course at Willow Springs. This is their DE type event where you get to drive on a really fun road course. Great, dedicated instructors who will really help you grow into the track. First event of 07' is Jan. 27 & 28th and you should definitely some out and play!
After 4 sessions of "Streets" (2 weekends) you can move up to running the Solo Sprint series (time trials) which are run in cunjunction with their Club Racing events on numerous tracks around the West Coast including Willow Springs, Cal Speedway, Infineon, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, and Phoenix Int. Raceway. http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

PCA runs only 1 racing event in Cali all year in March at Cal Speedway. PCA San Diego runs autocrosses events monthly in San Diego, and a time trial series at various tracks. They are by far the most active PCA group for drivers who wish to run on a track. Check out their website. http://www.pcasdr.org/
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
Just wondering how PCA up here in NorCal compares with POC. For example, GGR PCA have 5 or so DE/TT events planned for 07 and they typically have quite a few AX events throughout the year. The other regions up here have many events as well. Is that in the ballpark of the POC level of activity?
or maybe OC PCA is just a little lame...
I probably shouldn't comment on this...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by Agena
Jon, will we see you out this February?
Ken
Hi Ken,

I'll be at the January STS for sure. For the February event it's about a 50% chance for me right now. I should be at all the other events at Cal Speedway and Willow. See you there!

- Jon
Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Sign up for both..

POC and PCA Region 8 (the PCA SoCal chapters, San Diego appears to be the most active with track events). The official PCA monthly magazine, the Panorama, is very well done, glossy, slick with some great articles. PCA classifieds are great...you need to be a member to access them on line.

POC is primarily a SoCal Club with a focus on driver training and track events, with somewhat limited social events. POC also puts out a great Club Magazine, Velocity...glossy, slick and full of great pics.

POC runs the Short Track Series (STS) as John mentions above. Members are free to run the STS and stay there, or graduate to Solo Sprint (Time Trials). They get six (6) weekends a year at Streets of Willow. Two (2) of these weekends will have a one (1) day driving school. POC runs the track with the Back Bowl, alternating configurations each day. Streets, with the Back Bowl, is a very sweet track.

POC also runs 8 or > 2 and 3 day Solo Sprint (Time Trial) events combined with Club Racing the same weekend. Two of the combined Solo Sprint and Club Race weekends are very special, such as the annual Tribute to Le Mans, a 4 hour enduro,with half of the event run at night. They also run Laguna Seca in August, a fund raiser for Make A Wish.

Note, POC Solo Sprint drivers may elect to simply do SS events, or, they may have wheel to racing as their ultimate goal. With each step up, more safety equipment is required, none of it excessive in my opinion.

For those drivers that want to get to wheel to wheel racing, POC conducts their Racers Clinic 2X per year providing an opportunity for those wishing to graduate from Solo Sprint up to Club racing. This is an experience you will never forget, starting with drills and practice starts through Saturday and 1/2 of Sunday, with the finale a 30 minute race for the Racers Clinic participants.

Generally, considering the 4 STS sessions needed (3 track days and a 1 day school), the 6 Solo Sprint two (2) day events required, and the two (2) Racers Clinics, it takes at least 2 years to get to your first race, if you are so inclined. That is, unless you are the POC's poster child for rapid advancement, John Gordon. He managed to get his POC Cup Racing License and his PCA Racing License in about a year, combining PCA and POC events to get the required number of events under his belt.

Great job John....and he is one hell of a good driver as well. John is also the poster child for car upgrades, considering that within a year, he went for a 993 cabriolet, to a 993TT car to a GT3 Cup Car all in that short time. Now this guy is committed, or possibly he should be
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Z06 convert
Instructor

Originally Posted by HooliganX

Hooligan Come on back and JOIN THE FUN!

There is a new sherriff in town In 2006 PCA Orange Coast Region held a Drivers Clinic and 10 Auto-X events including one events at the "Streets" averaging 70 to 90 drivers at each event. For 2007 we are kicking off the year with an Awards Party in January , a drivers clinic in Feb. plan two events at the "Streets" and 9 Auto-X events at El Toro.

As you can tell I may not be into "Car Washes" However, OCR's June "White Glove" Zone 8 concour draw's over 120 cars each year.

..........and...... what's wrong with wine..........or Beer .........or?

More info at www.pcaocr.org

Have Fun! Steve

Quick Reply: Porsche owners club vs. Porsche Club of america