Sponsored by:

Dealer transmission work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you are having this probb at TH T11-13, it's not b/c of lateral load. the car doesn't generate enough load to do that.

one, try different grade oil.
two, pause a nano second in neutrail before shift to 3rd then no prob.

if you are having this issue else where, then..... hum i dont know. maybe you need a new car holger ;-)

Yep, T13 at TH. I've adapted by shifting a little earlier or else I end up bumping off the rev limiter exiting the turn (with bypass pipes it sounds like F1 car running on 7 cylinders). Both my old 996 and the GT3 wouldn't go into 3rd there while the car was unbalanced (old car with stock shifter and B&M). It's also happened on the street before when the cars were under lateral load.

Have used different oils, didn't make any difference. It's a design/structural flaw IMO.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually Brad if you look at any of the stresses on any of the components you cited you will see that there is NO issue with the removal of the tranny in this manner. And as I mentioned, removal of the motor has other issues to contend with. I prefer in the short and long term not to subject my customers to these potential issues. I also do not feel comfortable doing excessive work that in no way provides a better solution while costing the customer more money. I would and could not do any work that in any way compromises any safety concerns. You see as a track junkie myself, I treat EVERY car that I deal with like the customer is going to the track and may be doing 180 MPH over and over. Oh if you remove the safety stop before removing the tranny, the thing slides out. Then you reattach with the bolts when reassembling. Not too difficult.

I understand about following Porsche procedure. Something you have to do as part of the whole PCNA thing. No problem. PCNA does it because that is what Germany says to do. Fine. The rest of us can are able to use this info (very valuable in many cases) ALONG with our experience to provide a total customer solution.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:57 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will say this, if I didnt work in a dealer , I Can assure you I woudlnt pull motors just to r&i the trans.
Maybe someday it will be like 993s, 8 years out of warrenty and now just pull the trans for clutches insdiead of the engine
Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The syncros are a common point of failure in 996 transmissions. Power Haus II (goggle them) offers an upgrade kit.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Apex GT
I had the same problem with 1st gear as well as shifting into 3rd under high G lateral loads (usually turning left). Turns out they replaced the the entire transmission under warranty. First gear problem went away but 3rd gear issue still remains. I understand that several other GT3 owners have the same 3rd gear complaint.
Originally Posted by Holger B
I've had the same difficulty shifting into 3rd under lateral load first with my 996 C2 and now my GT3. It's some type of inherent structural flaw with the 996 platform.
Originally Posted by cosmos
I had the 3 gear issue as well. It occured mostly at Infineon. I replaced the bushings and and adjusted the shift linkage. It was better, but you just had to watch out for going into 3rd.
Guys,

I'm having a same issue. Getting into 3rd under heavy braking is a hardwork! I'm not sure whether it's a shifter cable adjustment or synchros. Will be installing cup cables and 7GT3 shifter soon but wondering whether I should take it to the dealer first so that they cannot deny anything. On the street is perfectly fine. Only happens under braking, clutch in, rev-match and when you try to get into 3rd. Even if I say this to the dealer, I'm afraid they might not be able to reproduce it. Is this a typical 996 character shows in some cars just like Holger is saying? If that's the case, I'll learn to live with it. It's not like I cannot get into 3rd. Rather, it cannot downshift as smoothly as it should. Will definitely try re-adjusting the linkage and changing the gearbox oil just to make sure.

EDIT: just reread mooty's post.

if you are having this probb at TH T11-13, it's not b/c of lateral load. the car doesn't generate enough load to do that.

one, try different grade oil.
two, pause a nano second in neutrail before shift to 3rd then no prob.

if you are having this issue else where, then..... hum i dont know. maybe you need a new car holger ;-)
If I do that, it's fine. So is that normal? Happened quite a few times at summit point at T1 (after long back straight) and sometime at VIR.

Last edited by datax; 07-18-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The car in in for its 15,000 mile checkup--a little late. I noted that for some time shifting into first gear from neutral can be an issue. It feels like there is a bit of a notch that limits the throw of the shift lever. Backing off to neutral again and letting out the clutch or shifting into second and then back to first, sometimes more than once, allows the shift into first. This time the dealer is considering replacing the synchros to cure that issue.

Two questions: first, does this sound like a synchro issue and second, does Porsche allow dealers to replace synchros on this transmission?
How did this turn out for you? My 997 GT3 has the same issue and am waiting on Porsche to find a resolution. Would be great to hear how your issue was resolved. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
I would expect that they would just replace the tranny
you wish. i asked. answer = no. they will fix it but not replace it.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Guys,

I'm having a same issue. Getting into 3rd under heavy braking is a hardwork! I'm not sure whether it's a shifter cable adjustment or synchros. Will be installing cup cables and 7GT3 shifter soon but wondering whether I should take it to the dealer first so that they cannot deny anything. On the street is perfectly fine. Only happens under braking, clutch in, rev-match and when you try to get into 3rd. Even if I say this to the dealer, I'm afraid they might not be able to reproduce it. Is this a typical 996 character shows in some cars just like Holger is saying? If that's the case, I'll learn to live with it. It's not like I cannot get into 3rd. Rather, it cannot downshift as smoothly as it should. Will definitely try re-adjusting the linkage and changing the gearbox oil just to make sure.

EDIT: just reread mooty's post.

If I do that, it's fine. So is that normal? Happened quite a few times at summit point at T1 (after long back straight) and sometime at VIR.
i am not familiar with summit point T1 and dont know how much g you pull there. but most of the time when ppl say modern porsche tranny are "moving around" due to g loads thus not able to shift, that's BS. some ppl simply can't shift well and that inc some pro's. (i am not criticizing your driving, i too have the same prob)... i used to insist it's the car's problem, then i had my mechanic driving my car (which i feel understeers and i can't get it to shift consistently well at tight turns), he drove it and EVERY LAP is 4-5 seconds faster than me (with me on board). he's driving at 7/10 and chatting with me like a sunday drive, not once did i feel the car pushing and not once did he have prob shifting in ANY turn. AND.... the effort and speed of his shifting strokes are about 1/2 of my speed and effort.... after he demonstrated that to me about 12 laps, i realized the car is fine, it's ME who needs to be modded.

again, i am not criticizing anyone's driving. maybe your synchro do have a prob. but i know in my case, it's me not the car.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

i am not familiar with summit point T1 and dont know how much g you pull there. but most of the time when ppl say modern porsche tranny are "moving around" due to g loads thus not able to shift, that's BS. some ppl simply can't shift well and that inc some pro's. (i am not criticizing your driving, i too have the same prob)... i used to insist it's the car's problem, then i had my mechanic driving my car (which i feel understeers and i can't get it to shift consistently well at tight turns), he drove it and EVERY LAP is 4-5 seconds faster than me (with me on board). he's driving at 7/10 and chatting with me like a sunday drive, not once did i feel the car pushing and not once did he have prob shifting in ANY turn. AND.... the effort and speed of his shifting strokes are about 1/2 of my speed and effort.... after he demonstrated that to me about 12 laps, i realized the car is fine, it's ME who needs to be modded.

again, i am not criticizing anyone's driving. maybe your synchro do have a prob. but i know in my case, it's me not the car.
You might be right, mooty. May be it's just me. But, seeing others in this thread posting same type of complain makes me wanna raise a question. Will try to give more attention to my shiftings next time I'm out on the track. May be I'm not used to the car yet even after a year of ownership. We'll see. I think I'm gonna go ahead and install the new shifter and links without taking to the dealer, who probably hates me already. LoL.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I wonder if some firmer motor mounts would help?

Something is moving slightly under load that causes the problem.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
How did this turn out for you? My 997 GT3 has the same issue and am waiting on Porsche to find a resolution. Would be great to hear how your issue was resolved. Thanks!
Dealer replaced synchros and some of the gears, under warranty. I now have about 35,000 miles, many of them (half?) on the track. Dealer really could not have been better with a car that has GT3 seats (from that dealer), rollbar and harnesses and is obviously tracked. Dealer has done tech inspections for me, too. Had a persistent oil leak. Two FMS and one RMS replacement later (dealer installed a light weight flywheel that I supplied at no cost to me), all under warranty and then replaced every single oil line at the factory's request, including one that had to be fabricated in Germany and shipped (2 months later). Now the engine is absolutely bone dry and the shifting is fine.

In retrospect, I think it was MY technique that was the issue with the shifting. That heartbeat pause in neutral between gears (hard to do sometimes) is the real answer.

Great car.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Holger B
I wonder if some firmer motor mounts would help?

Something is moving slightly under load that causes the problem.
Don't know about the GT3 trans, but I put 964 RS mounts in my Boxster, and the shifting is very noticeably better.

Quick Reply: Dealer transmission work?