Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise on cold start-up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grinding noise on cold start-up...

I was putting the 964 Speedster away for the winter, and had the priviledge of driving both the GT3 and the Speedster back to back yesterday on a 65 degree day here in the mountains... Anyway, I cold started the Speedster after about a month of not driving it, and it fired up with no problems and the engine sounded strong. The GT3 has been sitting for about a month as well, and upon initial start made a very loud grinding sound that lasted about a second or two, then went away. Upon reflection, the GT3 has made this sound everytime I start it up cold since I bought it. It stuck me as odd because I had just fired up the 964 for comparion.

Should I be alarmed, or is this normal? (I love the car so damn much that I am becoming overly obsessive!)

Thanks,
-B
Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 AM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GT3 does have a strange sound too when I cold start? Im too are very concern but dont know how to explain it. Then one day it just didnt start due to a dead battery but once changed the start sounded very rough again. I guess a GT3 may sound slightly raw since it is a track car, that is how I justify it... 04 with now 7100 miles.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,743 Likes on 2,352 Posts

my has LOUD grinding sounds too upon start up in morning. never mounted to any other issues. that sound was on all my GT3's.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:30 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm getting paranoid as I absolutely love this car, and wanted to be sure that "all is well" as I tuck it away in the heated garage for the winter.

-B
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "throwing bolts into a blender sound" is normal for the GT3 on cold start if it is not driven daily. Mine will do it after about 3 plus days of sitting.

It would be interesting to know the exact source of the sound but it is present on every GT3 that I'm aware of. Could be the oil pumps.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it noise from a pressure fed tensioner & ramp for the timing chains.

Boxsters & 996 variants all are known for this too.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Yea, mine does it too. I only get to drive it about once a week and I always cringe when I hear it as I'm thinking about oil or lack thereof in the engine or something crazy going on.

Another weird thing is my remote key will not open the doors or trunk after the car sits for a week. I have to put it in the ignition and then it works. Is this normal?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All - think that is the Air pump to keep emissions low at start up.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Re locks - yes - I think is shuts down the power to the transceiver for the remote oor looks to drop drain - I acually had mine on tricle charger to the battery and couldnt up up the car after storage - then..hey the bloody key works - who knew.

Interestingly, a buddy had his car keystolen - they re-programmed the ignition and key - BUT they insert a PAG slug into the locks so that the stolen keys are not able to be used ...hmmm- whathappens when the remote goes into sleep mode (low current) - my guess is you gatta pull the slug -
Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick replies. It is good to know that this is "normal". And yes, I have noticed the "key" problem as well after letting the car sit for a few days+. I thought it was due to a battery problem in the sender (key itself)...

I'm getting nostaligic as I realize that I am not going to drive this car for at leats 5 months...

-B
Old 11-09-2006, 03:45 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grinding sound - not good! Mine has never made that sound in 3½ years. They say most engine wear occurs at startup...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. I use 0W-40 grade Mobile Oil, so am not overly worried that the viscosity is the problem. It does sound like metal on metal, so that is what makes me nervous...

Before I started this thread, I wondered if altitude was a contributor. My garage is at 7,440 ft. above sea level, so I lose a lot of hp among other things!

-B
Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Hmmm. I use 0W-40 grade Mobile Oil, so am not overly worried that the viscosity is the problem. It does sound like metal on metal, so that is what makes me nervous...

Before I started this thread, I wondered if altitude was a contributor. My garage is at 7,440 ft. above sea level, so I lose a lot of hp among other things!

-B
I have noticed that too from my car. But mine doesnt sound as severe as you are describing.... With my car, it is only after about three plus days of sitting, which leads me to believe it is some sort of hydraulic tensioner that has bled out. It will not do it after 1 day or two days...but three days + seems to be the trick. Thus, I would think it something related to a hydraulic tensioner or similar--something that slowly bleeds out pressure. The sound goes away within 1 second or so of start up as well.

The keyless entry will shut off the receiver after 7 days -- its in the manual FYI. :-)

I am not too concerned with the "noise" as every car makes noise before oil pressure builds...just the way it is...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
I have noticed that too from my car. But mine doesnt sound as severe as you are describing.... With my car, it is only after about three plus days of sitting, which leads me to believe it is some sort of hydraulic tensioner that has bled out. It will not do it after 1 day or two days...but three days + seems to be the trick. Thus, I would think it something related to a hydraulic tensioner or similar--something that slowly bleeds out pressure. The sound goes away within 1 second or so of start up as well.
Same here.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No grinding sounds from my car when it starts after sitting but the air pump is loud for a minute or so after any cold start.

Maybe make sure they check your oil for any "shavings" at your next change (with a magnet) just to make sure? I agree it is probably nothing but I'm always cautious as I'm concerned about my long term ownership commitment and the cost of replacing the motor if it sours.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise on cold start-up...