Sponsored by:

Farmers Suck, but AmEx sucked even worse

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:25 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farmers Suck, but AmEx sucked even worse

So I have had AmEx for over four years with 0 claim, and they insured my Turbo the entire 2.5 years that I had it.

Come time for the GT2, they decided that they would not cover it no matter what. Which left me to shop and finally moved everything, home, umbrella, auto, to Farmers.

Problem is, my lawyer wife reviewed the policy and unlike AmEx, which had no specific exclusion for DE coverage, Farmers were specific enough that my wife wanted me to look into DE insurance.

So, I used the nifty search function, and found AC that used to write DE policies.

So, are you all self insured? Or who do you all use for DE insurance? Or do you have a reputable insurance company that has policy terms that do not specifically exclude even "high performance driving instruction."

I would like to go to Sears Point this year, but if I can't get this resolved, I would have to take my self insured E30 BMW there, while missing my GT2 the whole time I am at Sears Point.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Your wife may also want to read the interesting bits of the Farmer's policy for the home, namely the wording on negligence in a claim situation. Also, Farmer's easy pay company, technically a separate entity, is being named in a class action lawsuit claiming they took extra money out of people's bank accounts during Automatice EFT transactions.

MOST, not all, companies, especially for thier CA written policies, have caught onto the risks of non-timed DE events.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:28 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 609 Posts

Try USAA
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try just a normal accident claim w/Farmers....they'll try and send you to the worst bodyshop and will want them to use "used" parts, etc. They don't tell you that by law, at least here in Ca. you can take your car any place you want! But if you take it to a shop that wants to charge $0.50/hr more than Farmers Earl Scheib hourly rate, then they want you to pay for it...which is also illegal...Farmers are the worst by far. The don't suck...they totally f'ng suck. Every claim is a full time job to make sure they pay.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
So I have had AmEx for over four years with 0 claim, and they insured my Turbo the entire 2.5 years that I had it.

Come time for the GT2, they decided that they would not cover it no matter what. Which left me to shop and finally moved everything, home, umbrella, auto, to Farmers.

Problem is, my lawyer wife reviewed the policy and unlike AmEx, which had no specific exclusion for DE coverage, Farmers were specific enough that my wife wanted me to look into DE insurance.

So, I used the nifty search function, and found AC that used to write DE policies.

So, are you all self insured? Or who do you all use for DE insurance? Or do you have a reputable insurance company that has policy terms that do not specifically exclude even "high performance driving instruction."

I would like to go to Sears Point this year, but if I can't get this resolved, I would have to take my self insured E30 BMW there, while missing my GT2 the whole time I am at Sears Point.
Check with State Farm, I use them and am told that they cover non timed DE events with instructors present. That is a pretty large gery area so basically, I am self insured when I hit the track. There are DE and track day specific policies that are very expespensive.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just made a sucessful DE claim with Erie Insurance Group.They were very helpful and forthright .I also have track coverage with LaurelDE.The best way to get them is 866-518-1110 Dave Epringham is the Rep .He is a true Motorsports guy.Coverage is .0325% of stated value (more or less)and the deductible is 15%.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by cosmos
Try USAA
Neither my wife or I are in the military, and they just recently added the exclusion in CA policies, according to my lawyer buddy who used to track his E46 M3.

He now tracks a self insured E30...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Check with State Farm, I use them and am told that they cover non timed DE events with instructors present. That is a pretty large gery area so basically, I am self insured when I hit the track. There are DE and track day specific policies that are very expespensive.
If you are in CA, do you might posting the wording of the section where they exclude competition?

The DE exclusion was in the same section as timed comptetion exclusion in my Farmers policy, something like high performance driving school was the wording, sigh.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:23 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Try just a normal accident claim w/Farmers....they'll try and send you to the worst bodyshop and will want them to use "used" parts, etc. They don't tell you that by law, at least here in Ca. you can take your car any place you want! But if you take it to a shop that wants to charge $0.50/hr more than Farmers Earl Scheib hourly rate, then they want you to pay for it...which is also illegal...Farmers are the worst by far. The don't suck...they totally f'ng suck. Every claim is a full time job to make sure they pay.
I used to be involved in the bodyshop industry, so I can handle them if need be.

Let's just say that the corruption that goes on in the industry would make one think that one is living in a third world country.

Think bribing the district supervisor with prostitues so that the shop can become a "perferred shop" and write any estimates with impunity.

Think 10's of thousands of dollars in cash stuffed in envelopes every few month given to secure the continued "perferred shop" status.

It's a disgusting business.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:15 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

I got to get into the insurance business ASAP!!!

FREE HOOKERS WITH EVERY PAINT JOB!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
Think 10's of thousands of dollars in cash stuffed in envelopes every few month given to secure the continued "perferred shop" status.
are we back in taiwan again?

cosmos, hookers are just sideshows. when you bring me mine, please stuff her full of greenbacks when you drop her off at my room.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:33 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

So I should stuff the hooker with 10k and then drop her off to you??

I like your style!!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
So I should stuff the hooker with 10k and then drop her off to you??

I like your style!!
you learn well.
you will be a success in asia!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

I don't know about DE coverage, but State Farm has been great to me! I totaled my 2004 GT3 10 months ago and they asked no questions. Within about a week, they wrote me a check for about $93K!!!
Last week I insured the new F430 with them. $1,250 a year! $200 less than the GT3.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Philip, was yours at the track???

Quick Reply: Farmers Suck, but AmEx sucked even worse