Sponsored by:

Farmers Suck, but AmEx sucked even worse

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I have State Farm, and they told me I would not be covered at DE events.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
Last week I insured the new F430 with them. $1,250 a year! $200 less than the GT3.

Interesting...I had a quote for part time driving < 1500 miles / year driving and was quoted $3500.00 for my 03 GT2

I have 21st.. and is still paying $3450.00 for the same coverage.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0396
Interesting...I had a quote for part time driving < 1500 miles / year driving and was quoted $3500.00 for my 03 GT2

I have 21st.. and is still paying $3450.00 for the same coverage.
I think it all comes down to what else you have with them and how many cars you have insured.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yetis
I think it all comes down to what else you have with them and how many cars you have insured.

That quote is with three other properties and 6 other cars, of with 4 are my toys...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 0396
That quote is with three other properties and 6 other cars, of with 4 are my toys...
Wow, that's tough? Ever have a major claim? I would suggest you shop around with the whole portfolio. What is also very odd is that car rates are filed with the state by each insurance provider. It might have to do with where you keep your cars. Keeping a CTT in Brooklyn vs. Long Island for me is almost $2,500 a year difference in premiums, assuming the same level of coverage.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
car rates are filed with the state by each insurance provider

Is there a way to access that data?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Holger B
Is there a way to access that data?
No idea. I did a quick google and since its a state by state deal, your best bet is your state govt. I only know this as I got a heavy education by a close friend in the business. I found NY state on the NY state web site.

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/downpdf.htm
Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

rdstemler: No, it was on an express way.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
Try USAA
USAA (my current insurer) is fine for street use, but it has amended its policy to exclude DE events. Here is the actual policy language:

"Driving contest or challenge includes, but is not limited to:
2. An activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is close from non-participants."

I note that the insurance industry is moving exclude DE events. Remember that this strips away not only your collision coverage for damage to your own vehicle, but also (and more significantly, in my view) your liability coverage for damages to other vehicles, injuries to passengers, other drivers, etc. I, for one, can withstand the financial loss of my GT3, but I've got too much to lose to drive without liability insurance. While most of the car clubs that sponsor DE events have a master liability policy that covers "participants" when there is a method in place for obtaining waivers/releases, these policies are not available for viewing by club members (at least PCA and BMWCCA have taken this position), so you are taking it on faith, something I'm not prepared to do.

So, which insurers are left which no longer expressly exclude DEs? I'd be interested in putting together a list. Right now, State Farm's exclusion is limited to racing/race preparation. Any others out there with narrow exclusions which would not exclude DE?

But again, I caution that there is an apparent industry trend to exclude DEs from personal auto policies. For those with alot to lose (in addition to the value of their vehicles), this is a very scary proposition. I would certainly feel better if the car clubs would disclose their actual policies so their members (and others driving at their sponsored events) could make informed decisions as to the degree of risk they are assuming by participating. And note: the car club policies are liability only; unless your personal auto policy applies or you have a DE-specific policy,** you have no collision coverage.

Andy

** One DE insurer is http://laurelde.com/, but note (a) that is is collision coverage only -- no liability; (b) the premiums and deductibles are both high; and (c) it is a non-admitted "surplus lines" insurer.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Great, I am with USAA as well.

(DOR) Drive at Own Risk
Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Insurance coverage

I currently have Firemens Fund (in NC)my agent expressly told me that I have coverage for DE with them she sent me an email detailing this.They also told me that racing was excluded (obviously)Cheers HOM
Old 01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
USAA (my current insurer) is fine for street use, but it has amended its policy to exclude DE events. Here is the actual policy language:

"Driving contest or challenge includes, but is not limited to:
2. An activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is close from non-participants."
Interesting. This must be very recent. My most recent USAA policy update (Sept. 6) and covering through Apr 07 has different exclusion language which is looser regarding DEs. I pretty much figured I was screwed anyway for an incident at DE but this change would certainly confirm that.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjb
Interesting. This must be very recent. My most recent USAA policy update (Sept. 6) and covering through Apr 07 has different exclusion language which is looser regarding DEs. I pretty much figured I was screwed anyway for an incident at DE but this change would certainly confirm that.
Yes, very recent. Look at your renewal notice carefully.

Andy
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have USAA as well and I added my GT3 to the policy in November and there is NO updated wording like you stated Andy. Maybe when my next six month renewal comes it will be amended. If that is the case I will insure elsewhere or just take it down a notch at the track. Just becasue some of us can absorb the hit, doesn't mean that is intelligent thinking.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GEICO-- have had for 27 years has exclusion wording that is related to comp and practice. No mention of "education events". Might try them.

Quick Reply: Farmers Suck, but AmEx sucked even worse