Sponsored by:

GT3 Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Front Air Dam

Where can I get the front air dam for a 04 GT3 along with the rivets that go with it?

Porsche wants $377 for it. Is that the going price?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Check out earlier posts on "splitters" as there is a lot of good information on street and Cup Car splitters in previous threads.

I started using NAPAs rivets (P/N: 6652388) available at napaonline.com for $4.99 for a bag of seven. They seem to work better than anything else I've tried.

I just ordered 10 bags because I have found that it's easy to knock the splitter off, and not necessarily because it gets whacked on the street. I knocked mine off last week on a side street at the track.

Don't forget to block the gap between the splitter and the bumper. I use racing tape during track events to keep air from forcing the splitter and bumper apart.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Bill911
Rennlist Member

Get a Cup Car Splitter. Much better and it costs about $130-140. Call TRG or Devek.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

Call Tom (Moogle). He has answer to everything!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conact Viperbob on this forum. He has the Cup front splitter with the screw type fasteners for around $135 delivered and stocks them. While you are at it, you might want to buy a spare! I scraped mine 4 times in one day last week having plenty of fun.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:30 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kevin.... why do you need a new one ? :-)

Call Austin @ TRG Motor sport is about $150
Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Is this a big problem on track???? I've scraped entering and exiting a driveway, but I go very slow. I'm going to Cal Speedway in 2 weeks for my first track event in a GT3 and the infield portion is very bumpy. Is the lower splitter going to fly off? Whats with the tape between the splitter and the bumper? Please advise of any other things I should know about before my first track event with the Gt3.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:52 AM
RK1
Instructor

Kevin,
I went with the Cup bumber cover + Cup Splitter and I'm very happy. The PMNA part (Cup splitter is cheaper and the holes match with the Cup bumber cover.)
Got to update my Avatar with a new photo.

Kevin.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Dubai911
Racer

Whats the part number for the cup car splitter? can I order it from my Porsche dealer?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Dubai911
Whats the part number for the cup car splitter? can I order it from my Porsche dealer?
It should be 996 505 986 91 and is not available at most dealers since it is a Porsche Motorsport part. PM ViperBob or call Austin at TRG.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Dubai, I didn't realize that was you when I replied! Obviously a US source won't work for you so try the dealers that you have access to and maybe you will have some luck as some are also Motorsports dealers. An alternative would probably be a shop that imports and maintains Cup cars if you have one around.

When installing it, I have actually found that the OEM style push-pin fasteners fit more tightly so I prefer to use those. The one thing that really helas to keep it on the car is to use 3M double sided tape between the bumper and the splitter. This prevents air from getting between the two parts and ripping it off over 120 or so.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Is this a big problem on track???? I've scraped entering and exiting a driveway, but I go very slow. I'm going to Cal Speedway in 2 weeks for my first track event in a GT3 and the infield portion is very bumpy. Is the lower splitter going to fly off? Whats with the tape between the splitter and the bumper? Please advise of any other things I should know about before my first track event with the Gt3.
You will be just fine, mine didn't scrape with a recent 3 wheel off excursion and if it tpouches at the track, it is only on the roughest of surfaces and also not a big deal. This part was designed to make contact without getting damaged or damaging the car.

Mine scrapes when I go over a hump on the street at lower speeds(30-35) and out of steeper driveways. It will only come off if you run it into a parking block or otherwise seriously tweak it and then go do a high-speed run. THe reason it comes of is because the tape seal gets compromised and the fasteners get damaged. When the come off, it is no big deal but the noise WILL scare the the crap out of you as you run it over. All this happens with the stock part too.

As to anything else you should know before going to the track with the GT3 for the first time? Take it slow, get used to it and don't lift! Aside from that, it is not to difficult to figure out provded the setup isn't hosed. Oh, I open my engine cover after each session to let the heat out. Don't set the parking brake and if you really clobbered the brakes, roll the car forwards or backwards a 1/2 revolution of the wheels after it has been sitting for a few minutes to keep the brakes from hot spotting under the pads.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Thanks Blacksport. I'll check, my dealer has access to Motorsports parts. Can always try Gert as well.
BTW I heard its not a great idea to open the engine cover, you are not allowing the extraction fan to work properly when the cover is open, as the temp sensor will have an inaccurate reading. I leave mine closed after each session, and the car never gets hot, after a couple of minutes the fan goes on and sucks the heat out. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can comment.
Rhamy
Old 09-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Dubai911
BTW I heard its not a great idea to open the engine cover, you are not allowing the extraction fan to work properly when the cover is open, as the temp sensor will have an inaccurate reading. I leave mine closed after each session, and the car never gets hot, after a couple of minutes the fan goes on and sucks the heat out. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can comment.
Rhamy
You are correct that the fan will not operate proeprly, especially as it is on the engine cover itself! The logic is that having the engine cover open allows more heat out faster then with the fan trying to extract it with the cover closed. It is a common Cup car practice(these don't have a fan) and actually a recommendation in the manual for the NA GT3 street car.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M3Pete: Just make sure you can not see light between the splitter and the bumper. I have had mine come off twice. Both times the was a gap due to a parking lot. Both times I was between 125 and 13It peals off and gone. The first time the car behind ran it over. The next time all clear and it ended up off line. I git it back at the end of the session.

If there is light I just duct tape it.

Quick Reply: GT3 Front Air Dam