Sponsored by:

Perfomance diff: Sunroof or none

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Get a grip guys. The 997 GT3 is still going to be most of what the 996 is, with more motor and maybe prettier. And it seems that a lot of you who track your cars have re-done the suspensions, so who cares if the new one is a little softer for the street?
I doubt it will be as easy with all the electronics. The shocks are electronic. Yeah, that'll be fun to mod . . .

Look the sunroof and traction control and SATNAV are all abberations from what the GT3 should be. The C2, C4, turbo, and targas aren't great track cars. The GT2 is (er, will be) sky high on price. There is no way to get a hardcore track car from Porsche anymore, except with the GT3. With the 996 GT3 was the serious enthusiasts last resort and option. The GT3 is the only car we have.

Regardless of whether or not the new car is faster, it's moving away from the track car purpose. How far does it need to move away before someone does something? People say "oh, it's just a sunroof." Do you really think it will stop there. The 998 GT3 will probably have softer suspension aftermore 997 owners bitch about a stiff ride. It may be a "just a sunroof," but let it go uncomplained about and on future generations it will be "just 200 lb rear springs," "just a glass roof," "just a back seat," "just a wet sump block," "just a few 100 more lbs, "just 4WD" or "just a convertible - it still has a rollbar!!!"

If someone doesn't intervene and stop the watering down of the GT3 right here and now while it's something minor like a sunroof and PSM, we will have NO good trackable cars left and I'll have to look to Corvette or Lotus for my kicks. They certainly have no problem selling featureless, trackable cars for $50-70 - even $80k (Exige club sport). I can guarantee you it will be far harder to revert the GT3 back to the good ole' 996 days once it weighs 3500 lbs, has soft suspension that isn't ride height adjustable, and is in Targa trim than it would be now where it's just a sunroof that needs removing.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
With the 996 GT3 was the serious enthusiasts last resort and option. The GT3 is the only car we have.
So just hang onto your 996GT3. What's the problem? I kept my Carrera for 15 years. Do you have to have the latest & greatest all the time?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

So just hang onto your 996GT3. What's the problem? I kept my Carrera for 15 years. Do you have to have the latest & greatest all the time?
No, I don't. But in the future I am going to want another track worthy Porsche. I have no intent on buying a 997, but 5-10 years down the road . . . it's scary to think what the GT3 will be then.

But some people do want the latest, and some people just don't own 996's and want a new car. New enthusiasts are going to move into being able to afford these cars every day, so to say everyone should just go buy a 996 GT3 isn't a solution.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Do you remember the tshirt that said "Real Porsches have 4 cams"?
It's "Real Carreras have 4 cams". A Porschephile would be able to get that right.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
No, I don't. But in the future I am going to want another track worthy Porsche.
And so might I. If you look at the history of Porsche, there has been an ebb & flow to how cutting edge their top performance cars have been. For some years they are quite soft, and then for a time, they produce some special cars. That usually occurs as a rethink of their objectives. I feel confident, based upon past history, that in the not to distant future they will build another car to set everyone aflame.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

About the 964 RS America cars. The sunroof data won't hold up unless you know how many cars were really ordered by customers and how many were dealer configured cars. Dealers usually load them up because it is the American way in the car industry and they make more profit. Why wasn't the limited slip standard??? (options; color, AC, sunroof, radio, and ltd slip)

944 Turbo Cup race cars, cool. Street version 1988 944 Turbo S (951 S) and 1989 944 Turbo, while excellent machines suffered from the same non performance standard features rammed down our throats.

Porsche Purist and who can drive and who cannot drive is not relevant talk. Porsche is marketing one thing and building another. What type of Porsche you want is your business without name calling. Ruining the GT3 for everyone is crazy. The 996 GT3 had too many compromises for a lot of us but I thought it might get better in all respects with the 997 version.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

And so might I. If you look at the history of Porsche, there has been an ebb & flow to how cutting edge their top performance cars have been. For some years they are quite soft, and then for a time, they produce some special cars. That usually occurs as a rethink of their objectives. I feel confident, based upon past history, that in the not to distant future they will build another car to set everyone aflame.
It's all about cycles and you've nailed it.

Noah
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Originally Posted by pcar964
In reference to Palting - I have no problem with you expressing your opinion. We're all just talking about cars, after all. However.... You must understand that some enthusiasts are very passionate about their sportscars, and don't like to compromise. Porsche has always catered that philosophy. Now, Porsche is beginning to abandon that mindset. It's a difficult position to be in, especially for many of us who are die-hard Porschephiles. We don't like the idea of moving on to another marque, but at some point in the future it will be the only option if Porsche continues in their current direction.

So understand, Palting, that when you whitewash the situation and parrot Porsche's marketing propoganda back to us, you shouldn't be surprised at the response. Nobody in this forum is buying it. With the drastic changes Porsche has made in the past few years, we are just trying to hold on to one small niche of the company that still caters to us.
I don't think Porsche is going soft at all.
Look at it from a different point of view...
Would you define the Euro 997 GT3 a compromised car? What about the Euro 997 GT3RS? I think the latter went a little further than the 9643/993 RS as an hardcore car.

So we are all pissed that THESE cars are not making it to the US shores... but then again did we ever get an RS over here? Nope, no 2.7 RS, no Carrera Sport Club, no 9664 RS, no 993 RS, no 996 GT3 RS.

These are the iconic cars that made every die-hard Porschephile dream. But here in the US we could only see the pics on the nice European mags.

So maybe we are all disappointed that we got screwed again with watered down versions of the Euro cars... Maybe they should have called them GT3A and GT3 RSA without all the marketing bs.

You say the 996 GT3 was at least closer to the Euro one... Yes that's true.

All I am saying is that Porsche AG is on the right track IMO. And I'd take a Euro 997 GT3 RS without complaining.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

You are correct that this is mostly a US issue. The ROW cars are better, albeit not what many of us would want. How about radio delete, power window delete, power trunk release delete, carpet padding delete, etc.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 AM
mamoroso
Racer

True, but the RSs never were THAT hardcore. I just do not agree with the notion that Porsche as a marque is going soft and that we'll have to look elsewhere for a real sportscar.

But by that token Porsche never sent a real sportscar to the US until maybe the 996 GT3.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

964 RSA - no sunroof, radio and A/C delete options, manual windows, less padding and noise deadening

911 RS - no sunroof, no radio, no A/C, manual windows, carpet... what carpet!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mamoroso
True, but the RSs never were THAT hardcore. I just do not agree with the notion that Porsche as a marque is going soft and that we'll have to look elsewhere for a real sportscar.

But by that token Porsche never sent a real sportscar to the US until maybe the 996 GT3.
993RS Clubsport is pretty hardcore...
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
993RS Clubsport is pretty hardcore...
+1

I think the principle of current RSs is "what's the minimum we need to remove from the regular model?", where as in 993 RS CS the principle was "how little we need to add to the BARE shell?".

Quick Reply: Perfomance diff: Sunroof or none