Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry - what 997 body is the GT3 built on. I know (or just read) that the RS is the 4S body.
I'll assume the GT3 is on the 997s body.
Can one not order a sunroof on the 997s? If so , its not an issue of whether it will pass, but why they choose to not go through the test.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all 997 in the US will have sun roofs(s,GT3,GT3RSA)
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I return to my previous statement.... if you want an RS without a sunroof, you have to order it from Mitsubishi
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Somebody, print this thread and mail it to Porsche AG.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
I return to my previous statement.... if you want an RS without a sunroof, you have to order it from Mitsubishi
Most Mercedes models are available without a sunroof, the dealer balked when I ordered a sunroof delete for my wife's car but did it because I was a repeat MB customer for them.

Some BMW M models have sunroof as an option or not at all I think.

Then again, my neighbors new Ferrari 430 coupe never even had sunroof delete as an issue to even consider. What a gearhead car, mid-engine, all alloy consturction, totally honest dry sump engine under glass without styled plastic covers, the thing sounds wonderful each time he drives by hmm....hadn't looked at an Italian car before, they do compete in F1...hmm.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Most Mercedes models are available without a sunroof, the dealer balked when I ordered a sunroof delete for my wife's car but did it because I was a repeat MB customer for them.

Then again, my neighbors new Ferrari 430 coupe never even had sunroof delete as an issue to even consider. What a gearhead car, mid-engine, all alloy consturction, totally honest dry sump engine under glass without styled plastic covers, the thing sounds wonderful each time he drives by hmm....hadn't looked at an Italian car before, they do compete in F1...hmm.
Hell, even Chevy isn't as "good" as Porsche when it comes to pimpin' sportscars.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
"GT3RSA", I like it.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I agree and would prefer a non-sunroof model but I can kinda, sorta understand not wanting to spend the money for so few orders. Maybe if more people had ordered previous models without sunroofs (I did) they could justify spending the extra $$$? The USA could always mandate seat-belt usage and then the cost of compliance testing would/should drop dramatically?
Do you think Audi will even sell 1000 S4 without sunroof?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Right you are! The outgoing M3 has no sunroof standard - you had to order it. The M6 has a CF roof and no sunroof possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

^ Throw in the Z4 M coupe too!

A local dealer told me they delivered one suntop delete 996. The 996 delete option was a no credit option so a 996 cost the same with it or without it.

When one orders a car without sunroof, I have found that the dealer will launch into a long routine about loosing resale value yada, yada, yada as my MB dealer did. I think this is because the dealer is very nervous that the order may be cancelled leaving an orphaned car on their lot. This dealer attitude plus the lack of a cost credit I think disuades many from sunroof delete.

As for the resale, I have friends who ordered sunroof delete air cooled 911's that were pleasantly surprised by the ease at which they sold the car since the secondary market is full of people looking to buy a sunroof delete to take to the track.

I wonder how many 911 cars would be ordered with a sunroof if it were a cost option as in Europe where one has to pay for it.

I can't understand why a company that wants to extend and/or maintain market share does not want tp attract and please every customer possible by allowing the product to be ordered as custom as possible, unencumbered by standard "options", particularly when their production line is set up to be flexible in this regard as is Porsche .
Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The answer is the bottom line and margine not the top line
Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
It's a poor analogy. RSA's had a sunroof delete option.

Noah
'93 RSA sunroof delete
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

not comparing it to the earlier RSAs for the sunroof perse but to the point that there is an RS for the rest of the world and another for the NA market.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:05 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

...I can't understand why a company that wants to extend and/or maintain market share does not want tp attract and please every customer possible by allowing the product to be ordered as custom as possible, unencumbered by standard "options", particularly when their production line is set up to be flexible in this regard as is Porsche .
It's much cheaper on several levels to produce something that is standardized not customized...
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

But the European Porsche availability is more customized by comparison to the USA- and most of this lack of customization is due to PCNA wanting to herd us into simple categories that suit their profit needs.

If we don't complain or vote with our wallets it won't change.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Letter