GT3 v Elise S2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GT3 v Exige S

Finally, I have found a GT3 MK1.

1999, 7 years old, I am not sure it is reliable?

I don't want to fix things so offen.

I guess for street use it will be fine, but it is mainly for tracking. Any comments?

Also I have found a new Exige S, this must be reliable, but....

if the GT3 is also reliable than I want the GT3 more, even it is used.

So I need comments about the 7 years old GT3, is that reliable?

Thanks.

Last edited by GT3MK1; 10-05-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 AM
john0719
Racer

GT3 for me.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by john0719
GT3 for me.
Why?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that there are many people globally that have had significant seat-time in a 'Formula racer' and have the same in both Elise 111S AND a GT3.....

To save you time, go and drive both and let US know what you think
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Dunno about a formula car, but if its a down force race car I suggest neither will feel anything like it.

I've had an Elise and now own a GT3, and there is no contest. The only downside with the GT3 is the cost of purchase and running as all consumables are more expensive.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanH
Dunno about a formula car, but if its a down force race car I suggest neither will feel anything like it.

I've had an Elise and now own a GT3, and there is no contest. The only downside with the GT3 is the cost of purchase and running as all consumables are more expensive.
Which one have better handling?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

I will go out on a limb here but I am basing my comments on a Gen2 GT3 and US Spec Elise which is more potent then your 111S.

The Elise feels more like an open wheel car in terms of turn-in and all around handling. This is due mostly to the design and layout of the car. I also think that it is the easier car to drive at the limit if you have no porsche driving experience.

The GT3 will work you much harder, force you to gain more skill and feels nothing like an open wheel car. Instead, it feels like a GT class race car which is what it is.

As much as I like the Elise, the GT3 is a no brainer. The added performance afforded by the power and all of the added engineering in the car is substantial. The GT3 will eat the Elise on anything but a tight course or the twistiest roads and even there, the GT3 can keep up, just takes a seriouse workout!

On the street, the Elise is just too much of a pain to get in and out of. By comparison, my GT3 with Euro seats is a piece of cake. I also find the GT3 more comfortable.

So if you have the budget, get the GT3. If you don't, you will be VERY happy with the Elise. However, keep in mind that you will be driving a glorified go-kart(this is not a bad thing though)!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

If budget is not a concern, go for the GT3. As others mentioned, it feels nothing like a formula car, but it is far more rewarding to drive than any version of the Elise (Exige included, but Exige S excluded since I have not tested it).

The GT3 will ask you to dose any pressure applied to the brake and gas pedals, will require you to be gentle with the steering, and expect you to be smooth. That is not necessarily true of the Elise or Exige. Once you get comfortable and fast in a GT3, you could jump into an Elise and Exige and find it ridiculously easy (and boring if your track has long straights and high speed turns) to drive.

I hope this speaks to the enthusiast in you.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,983 Posts

I can only speak on the US version of the Elise as Blacksport mentioned with 190 hp, but I've driven both the Elise and GT3 on track and my question to you is how well do you drive and what kind of experience do you have? If your just learning, go with the Elise. Mid-engine design, not a lot of horsepower to get you in trouble. The GT3 required more attention, being precise with steering and throttle imputs. I had to be super smooth with the GT3.

I pretty much went all out without ever having driven an Elise before. The one thing I didn't like about the Lotus is that the powerband in the upper rev range is similar to a Honda VTEC engine with a sudden power surge vs. the gradual build up through all rev ranges with the GT3.

There was a test about a year or two ago in Road and Track magazine that tested a variety of cars on a track in California called Buttonwillow. The track incorporated various slow and high speed turns breaking them up in entry, apex, exit speeds and g's. I thought the Lotus would go much better especially in the tight stuff, but remarkably it was beaten several times by other cars. The GT3 was not respresented in the test, however the 997S was. The 997S beat the Lotus 7 out of 9 sectors. Some were close, but the only two that the Lotus won was a tight right hand section and a high speed right hand sweeper above 90 MPH. (Just found it March 2005 issue of R&T).

BTW, I haven't driven the MK1 only the Mk2.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Thanks for the reply!

So the GT3 requires more skill than the Lotus, that's good for my training.
By the way, the GT3 is expensive to maintain?

Formula cars are MR setting. I am wondering MR and RR. What are the differences in terms of handling?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a side note, I've never driven a formula car, but I used to race go-karts for years. I too was trying to find a car that would be as close to a go-kart as possible, but it does not exist. Every once and awhile I still go out to the go-kart tracks and drive the karts to experience the g loads and unbelievable handling of these things.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

After you get used to your GT3. Does it improve your skill to handle the GO-KART?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I would say no from a skills improvement perspective. But being smooth and fast and confident with a GT3 will make you incredibly daring and confident on a kart (you'll probably drive the kart faster as a result).
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it goes both ways. I used to race karts and do track events in my M3. I always did better in kart races when I was just recently at track events with the M3. The same thing goes the other way, if one weekend I had kart races and the next weekend track events with the M3, I'd do better at the track eventhough it wasn't a competition.

I can't tell you about the GT3 as I no longer race karts and can't make the comparison. But the bottom line is that TRACK TIME will improve your skills regardless of the machine you are piloting. But if you don't have sufficent experience, you probably won't enjoy the GT3 as a first car or learning tool. IMO you have to bring some level of skill to the table when you get into a GT3.

I've heard experienced drivers say that it will take them years to master the GT3. This car also requires a lot of set up to suit you and your style. If you read other posts from beginners to pro level driver's, they confirm this.

Although I believe I'm a good driver with various levels of experience with different cars and karts, I'm approaching my time with a GT3 as a challenge and learning experience hoping that when and if I master it, I will be a better driver and presumably be able to jump into any other car and do well. As I said earlier, I was able to jump into the Lotus and push it hard without hesitation without ever having been in it one. The first time in a GT3 I was apprehensive. Now that I think about it, the choice of words I would use when driving a GT3 is "a healthy dose of respect".

I hope this helps in your decision making.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:42 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no comparison here, the GT3. There was a recent magazine test where a 190 hp (Toyota engine) Exige (stiffer and more track oriented than the Elise) was tested against a Cayman S. It couldn't even keep up with the Cayman in acceleration, braking or track times. The GT3 is significantly faster than a Cayman and the 111S is significantly slower than the new Exige.

Quick Reply: GT3 v Elise S2