Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC Wear Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my GT3 at 33-34 hot. This is with Motons, so YMMV. But, I run hard. If you are babying it you won't get as much heat into the tires, so you can run higher pressures. You need a probe Pyrometer and need to get to 165 degrees for them to stick. A laser is for measuring brake temps only (really).

I get about five-six track days out of mine, but only two-three good days, then they start to do down hill slowly.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
IYou need a probe Pyrometer and need to get to 165 degrees for them to stick.
165 is on the low end. You really want over 200.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
ryce
Instructor

Street:

What was the product you mentioned that easily removes rubber from the bodywork?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by ryce
Street:

What was the product you mentioned that easily removes rubber from the bodywork?
3m adhesive cleaner or WD40.
either way you should wax the area afterwards,
Old 08-16-2006, 05:45 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by 38D
2:10.2 at Watkins Glen in a '91 964 turbo. Track Record in PCA D class (see here). I ran within 0.4 seconds of Larry Herman's time in a higher class car (C class prepared RSA), and within 1.3 seconds of Chris Cervelli's C class record in a 993 RS Club Sport. Good enough for ya?
Easy turbo, I was just kidding.

I ran my MPSCs at 38 psi hot and still had decent grip. I'm also a "fast guy", 2:09.1 in my Turbo 3.6 at the Glen (less than .3 seconds off the C class record lap). Most don't like MPSCs over 36 psi, but I had to run the tires with more pressure because I was destroying the sidewalls with any less air. Nonetheless, I was still very competitive (1st, 2nd, 3rd in three races on MPSCs in my '94 Turbo 3.6 last year).

I worked with the Michelin engineers at Road America last year and was told I was the only one the entire race weekend that was getting the tires hot enough. Driving style is a huge factor with these tires. You have to get your tire pressures set right for the length of your race. As with 38D, I used the MPSCs for 90 minute enduros (51 laps at a place like Mosport) without issue or loss of grip.

I don't understand your comment "over inflated". If you're hitting 35 hot in the rear, they are not over-inflated. I would argue you could use another pound or two back there, actually, particularly in a high power car like a GT3. What size tire are you running?

What are your tire temps? Are you getting the tires to their optimal operating temperature?
I'm running the stock size tires. I dont know the actual temps but these things are HOT! I mean too hot to touch for more than a second. As hot as a frying pan before I put the eggs on. Easily 220+degrees. By over inflated I meant they have already got up to a good temp after a few sessions and I have let out pressure once or twice to get them where I want them, then I go for an extended session and the pressure goes through the roof to maybe 42-44psi. Could be because the track is rising in temp from the sun beating on it all morning as well.

I think I should just try to be a little less hot on corner entry.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:50 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Easy turbo, I was just kidding.
Hey, there are so many posers around, you just never know. No harm no foul.

Originally Posted by db_gt3
I'm running the stock size tires. I dont know the actual temps but these things are HOT! I mean too hot to touch for more than a second. As hot as a frying pan before I put the eggs on. Easily 220+degrees. By over inflated I meant they have already got up to a good temp after a few sessions and I have let out pressure once or twice to get them where I want them, then I go for an extended session and the pressure goes through the roof to maybe 42-44psi. Could be because the track is rising in temp from the sun beating on it all morning as well.
Over 40 is definitely to hot, and they will defintiely be suckin'. I would just keep bleeding them down to keep them sub 38. If you do that, your problem should be solved. You might also try going larger on tire size. I would probably stuff a 295/305 in the back and a 235 up front. The larger tire will be able to absorb more heat and should help quite a bit.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roberga
Jim, That is the pressure the Michelin engineer gave me last weekend for my GT3. Michelin supported the Parade in Portland and they had 2 people at all the events. They were at the Friday DE asking and answering questions. 32/36 hot is what they gave me. They also asked me why I ran Hoosiers.
Gordon, seeking some clarification: Were these recommended hot front/rear tire pressures specific to a GT3 on Michelin cups? In other words, is this what they said you should be running front/rear on your car if you were to switch to MPSC?

The reason I ask is that 32-36 psi hot coincides with Michelin's general recommendation for these tires, irrespective of vehicle (actually they say for "relatively light vehicles") or axle.

Thanks, Andy

Quick Reply: MPSC Wear Limits?