Sponsored by:

MPSC Wear Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I used to really like ( hot) 28f 30 R until I found out it cooks the (R)sidewalls and the tire will blister and go flat. So, try a pound or two and then work with the swaybars.
Wow! That is really low. Michelin publishes that they rec'd 32-36 hot and temps in the 160-220 range. the tire will work best when in those parameters. I didn't realize how much they (the tire) can be affected by a single pound of pressure as well as temps outside the rec'd range. I spent $75 on a really nice laser aim digital pyrometer at Costco and record my temps and pressures after EVERY session.

My guess for the MPSC in the optimal range would be 31-32 HOT starting at about 26-28 cold.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:48 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 840 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
If I may just chime in for a moment, it has been mine and other fast person's experience that the MPSC will start to lose grip significantly after about ten hotlaps. These are buttonwillow laps; 3 miles per with lots of hard braking, fast corners and not a whole lot of straight (configuration #13 with bus stop). They start to feel "oily" after 10 or so laps. Gotta wait for them to come down in temp and then they are fine.

That being said, I wonder what kind of heat cycle I am putting into these things as they never really cool down. The way we run I never really take more than about a ten or fifteen minute break between sessions (except for lunch). I have felt the tires numerous times right after a sesh and again right before the next, they remain very hot after a short break. Only slightly less hot.

When I stay out too long and get that oily feeling underneath me I am sliding through everything. The tires are so hot I can barely touch them. Then I wait ten to fifteen minutes and they are JUST RIGHT (still very hot). Take them back out and they are once again sticky.

Thoughts?
As a fast person (), I can assure you that MPSCs can and will do just fine even during very long session. I have run them in enduro races (90 mins) in 95+ degree heat with zero issue. I suspect that your pressures need to be lowered a bit. I have seen front pressures range from 31-34 and rear from 34-38 (I run 32/36). If you get them over 38 in the rear, they really do suck.

Originally Posted by LVDell
I spent $75 on a really nice laser aim digital pyrometer at Costco and record my temps and pressures after EVERY session.

My guess for the MPSC in the optimal range would be 31-32 HOT starting at about 26-28 cold.
Go get your $75 back. A laser pyrometer does no good for tires. You need to measure them with a probe style, as it is the inside temp that matters. You also need to come in off the track hot, and have someone waiting in the pits.

For cold pressures, I have to start around 25 front for 32 hot, and 24 rear for 36 hot.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Go get your $75 back. A laser pyrometer does no good for tires. You need to measure them with a probe style, as it is the inside temp that matters. You also need to come in off the track hot, and have someone waiting in the pits.
It's a start isn't it?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

It's a start isn't it?
You really need a probe type, else you will get wildly inconsistent results.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a start isn't it?
Yes it is, and after you dial it in, tire wear will tell you almost as much.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Do you guys run the RA-1's at the same pressures?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,888 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Do you guys run the RA-1's at the same pressures?
no, RA1 usually at 38-40 hot.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
As a fast person (), I can assure you that MPSCs can and will do just fine even during very long session. I have run them in enduro races (90 mins) in 95+ degree heat with zero issue. I suspect that your pressures need to be lowered a bit. I have seen front pressures range from 31-34 and rear from 34-38 (I run 32/36). If you get them over 38 in the rear, they really do suck.
Not for me they wont.
I run 32-33 front 34-35 rear. Yes the problem is magnified when they get over inflated during a session, but you can't let pressure out while you are driving; the longer I am out, the hotter they get, the more pressure build up. Even when the pressures are dialed in, though, the oily feeling begins at about the 20 minute mark (10 laps). Keep in mind I am talking about 100+ degree ambient temps.

Maybe you're just not that fast?

I will try dropping another pound and see if that helps. I dont want to be rolling the sidewalls, though.

Current Setup:

MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

My friends and I run MPSC's down here in S. FLA. Last year, the Michelin reps were at two back to back events and I worked with them extensively to get my car setup properly with their tires. The pressures they suggest in the literature works like a charm. I start with 25/28 and end up with 32/36. We spent alot of time with pyrometry to get the alignment correct. I drive very hard. I don't notice the tires getting greasy on me unless I overdrive them. Maybe you need better tire management.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitch236
I drive very hard. I don't notice the tires getting greasy on me unless I overdrive them. Maybe you need better tire management.
You're probably right. Most likely I am driving them too hard.

Current Setup:

MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 PM
JimStrott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mitch236
...to get my car setup properly with their tires. ...I start with 25/28 and end up with 32/36.
Mitch, is this on a GT3?

-Jim
Old 08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Not for me they wont.
I run 32-33 front 34-35 rear. Yes the problem is magnified when they get over inflated during a session, but you can't let pressure out while you are driving; the longer I am out, the hotter they get, the more pressure build up. Even when the pressures are dialed in, though, the oily feeling begins at about the 20 minute mark (10 laps). Keep in mind I am talking about 100+ degree ambient temps.
Then I thinnk you just dont like the feel that MPSCs give. The will not get greasy at that low of a pressure.

2:10.2 at Watkins Glen in a '91 964 turbo. Track Record in PCA D class (see here). I ran within 0.4 seconds of Larry Herman's time in a higher class car (C class prepared RSA), and within 1.3 seconds of Chris Cervelli's C class record in a 993 RS Club Sport. Good enough for ya?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:19 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, That is the pressure the Michelin engineer gave me last weekend for my GT3. Michelin supported the Parade in Portland and they had 2 people at all the events. They were at the Friday DE asking and answering questions. 32/36 hot is what they gave me. They also asked me why I ran Hoosiers.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 670 Posts

I ran Nitrogen in the MPSC's for a bit and that worked like a charm. Its a bit tricky trying to figure out where the tire pressures would end up, but I liked 33/36 hot.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not for me they wont.

I will try dropping another pound and see if that helps. I dont want to be rolling the sidewalls, though.

Current Setup:

MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
I ran my MPSCs at 38 psi hot and still had decent grip. I'm also a "fast guy", 2:09.1 in my Turbo 3.6 at the Glen (less than .3 seconds off the C class record lap). Most don't like MPSCs over 36 psi, but I had to run the tires with more pressure because I was destroying the sidewalls with any less air. Nonetheless, I was still very competitive (1st, 2nd, 3rd in three races on MPSCs in my '94 Turbo 3.6 last year).

I worked with the Michelin engineers at Road America last year and was told I was the only one the entire race weekend that was getting the tires hot enough. Driving style is a huge factor with these tires. You have to get your tire pressures set right for the length of your race. As with 38D, I used the MPSCs for 90 minute enduros (51 laps at a place like Mosport) without issue or loss of grip.

I don't understand your comment "over inflated". If you're hitting 35 hot in the rear, they are not over-inflated. I would argue you could use another pound or two back there, actually, particularly in a high power car like a GT3. What size tire are you running?

What are your tire temps? Are you getting the tires to their optimal operating temperature?

Quick Reply: MPSC Wear Limits?