Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche is listening?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

they have been adding stuff to the cars for years.
just because someone guy on a postboard says they are not "the real thing" doesnt make it so.
they are porsches whether you want to call them that are not.
if it wasnt the sunroof there would be posts bitching about something else on the car.
and they do offer race cars (rsr's) and as robin has noted, he can help someone wanting to procure a good used one.
we don't know for sure what the rs is going to consist of yet.
to bitch about it is a waste of time.

jeff
Old 06-30-2006, 05:48 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
they have been adding stuff to the cars for years...
Jeff, you're right, just don't do it to the RS models, this trend of adding pimp-mandatory equipment like power windows, ac, stereo, etc..didn't start until the 996 GT3RS
they are porsches whether you want to call them that are not.
if it wasnt the sunroof there would be posts bitching about something else on the car.
No one is arguing whether or not they are Porsche's...IF and that's still a big IF, the rumors are right then the 997 GT3RS (US Version) probably shouldn't be considered a true RS.
and they do offer race cars (rsr's) and as robin has noted, he can help someone wanting to procure a good used one.
Interesting but not relevant...
we don't know for sure what the rs is going to consist of yet.
100% accurate, I'm partial to the "let's wait and see" school of thought myself.
to bitch about it is a waste of time.
I completely DISAGREE, bitching, complaining expressing one's feelings and thoughts are what these forums are for and about. It has been documented by car companies that they visit these forums from time to time to get a feel for what their customers think of their products and/or of future plans.

Whether Porsche does that or not I don't know for sure, although some have assured me of it.

Having said all that, I'll say this, I will be thoroughly disappointed and would consider another brand for my next sportscar purchase if PAG/PCNA or whomever decide not to give us an RS with no sunroof and no single mass light flywheel. The lexan windows, seats and roll cage are for what ever reason damn near impossible to happen but the no sunroof and a single mass light flywheel are a must, on principle alone.

I'm still #1 on my dealer's list for an RS whether or not I get one depends on what PAG/PCNA decide to do with the 997 GT3RS.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
No one is arguing whether or not they are Porsche's...IF and that's still a big IF, the rumors are right then the 997 GT3RS (US Version) probably shouldn't be considered a true RS.
true "RS" = what porsche designates as an "RS"
the only reason porsche has a dif one for the u.s is because of our gov't regulations,
not because they are trying to **** off enthusiasts!

Interesting but not relevant...
"RSR's" are relevant.
they are race cars produced by porsche.

I completely DISAGREE, bitching, complaining expressing one's feelings and thoughts are what these forums are for and about. It has been documented by car companies that they visit these forums from time to time to get a feel for what their customers think of their products and/or of future plans.
Whether Porsche does that or not I don't know for sure, although some have assured me of it.
to some extent i agree, although it would be much more beneficial sent directly to porsche like the letters.
if porsche was monitoring this site the would have gotten the message a couple months ago and stopped!

Having said all that, I'll say this, I will be thoroughly disappointed and would consider another brand for my next sportscar purchase if PAG/PCNA or whomever decide not to give us an RS with no sunroof and no single mass light flywheel. The lexan windows, seats and roll cage are for what ever reason damn near impossible to happen but the no sunroof and a single mass light flywheel are a must, on principle alone.
I'm still #1 on my dealer's list for an RS whether or not I get one depends on what PAG/PCNA decide to do with the 997 GT3RS.
i hope for that as well but will not be switching makes if it doesnt happen.

jeff
Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

When the RSA was developed for the USA the "buzz" on the street was over rules and regulations-the most often cited reason was low bumper height- preventing a real European RS coming here. This was the accepted reason among enthusiasts despite no official statment from Porsche that legal issues were the case.

Then the USA Carrera Cup came available and it was at Euro RS height and was really a Euro RS with airbags, CHMSL, alarm, USA lighting and USA bumpers, aluminum wheels and normal seats. It could have come with Speedster seats but it was never Porsche's intention to sell the cars and a racing seat was planned.

I had the occasion to meet Fred Schwab, then head of PCNA, and I asked him why didn't they just bring in something closer to the Euro RS rather than the RS America. He said: "I was worried I would have trouble selling them in this market"

So the real reason for the RSA was not because a car closer to the Euro RS was not legal but because of sales factors.

I would like to see an official statement from Porsche as to why elements of the RS are not coming to the USA. Every reason I have heard is a presumed legal reason just as with the 964 Euro RS....
Old 06-30-2006, 11:04 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

After months of comments, I still cannot understand you enthusiastic Porsche customers who think 'diluting' the 997 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS models is acceptable.

Those of us who want a more performance oriented Porsche model are not trying to reengineer the entire Porsche AG product line! We are only looking for a model or two.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

All we want is the same access to options and models the European market has.

The production line at Porsche is super flexible and they can build anything they want for us, it is just a mattter of PCNA respecting the real driving enthusiast in the same way they respect the luxury oriented market.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeff,

I've been really busy and hadn't had a chance of answer.

true "RS" = what porsche designates as an "RS"
the only reason porsche has a dif one for the u.s is because of our gov't regulations, not because they are trying to **** off enthusiasts!
A true RS in many people's book is one that is true to its origins of being a homologation special for Porsche's race cars, not one with a sunroof, heated seats, sat nav...man I really hope the RS doesn't have any of that crap!

"RSR's" are relevant. they are race cars produced by porsche.
This is precisely my point, the are RACE CARS not street cars. The associated cost of running an RSR is significantly higher than tracking a street RS. Besides the whole point of the RS is to homologate race cars while still having to be a street car (in the past; just barely street legal)

to some extent i agree, although it would be much more beneficial sent directly to porsche like the letters.
The only reason the letters became a reality is because we had a forum pun intended to voice our displeasure and found that we weren't the only ones that felt this way. We then were able to "organize" the letters "campaign."

if porsche was monitoring this site the would have gotten the message a couple months ago and stopped!
That's one heck of an assumption. Neither one of us can confirm or deny the validity of your comment.

The sad part of all this will be that IF Porsche brings the RS as rumored then they'll have another RSA on their hands and what's worse is that they'll claim that the RS is not adequate for the NA market. However I suspect that if in fact they were to bring the ROW RS to NA (not holding my breath) they would find that it would do quite well.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
f1realtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If PCNA wanted a sunroof-less GT3/RS then they would take the proper steps to get it certified. The RS is really missing too much goodies for me to seriously consider it. I refuse to spend a lot more money on the missing items when we should be getting the same product. Missing the LWFW is a joke. I'm sure that the GT3/RS models will both be pretty nice, but when I'm shelling out that much money, I want the real deal. Maybe when the 998 variants are out they will get it right and hopefully PDK will be available and sorted out.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok here is my thought... since all GT3 and GT3RS cars will come with sunroofs does that mean that they are homoligated (think backwards) and all American Le Mans GT3 race cars need sunroof now...

Not a serious question, bu funny IMO.

On a serious note, any idea on the ration of sunroof to non-sunroof 996 GT3s sold in the US?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Ed, as regards the question in your last sentence, if you are asking about the ratio of sunroof equipped versus non-sunroof equipped 996 GT3s sold in the US, the figure is 0:1 i.e. sunroof was not an option on our 996 GT3s.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why put a sunroof in the 997 GT3. I can't imagine they can share a crash test with a 997 S. The GT3 is seam welded which IMO is more of a structural change than a sunroof in the middle of a flat panel. The seam welding will dramtically effect the fracture and failure in an impact.

Also worth noting is every single 997 GT3 for the press has no sunroof.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by enthusiast
After months of comments, I still cannot understand you enthusiastic Porsche customers who think 'diluting' the 997 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS models is acceptable.

Those of us who want a more performance oriented Porsche model are not trying to reengineer the entire Porsche AG product line! We are only looking for a model or two.
I voted with my wallet (and told my sales guy) that I will not order an ED Paint to sample Orange 997 GT3, and bought their 996 GT2 instead.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

stuka;

I'm glad you found another model to suit your needs for now. Do you think the salesman cared about your GT3 ideas? He got a high end car sale anyway.

One of our Porsche AG salesmen called me a purist ( = pain in the ***) and said that he expected I had no use for the Cayenne. I said, I don't care if Porsche AG makes lawn mowers as long as they are top performers with quality and it keeps Porsche AG independent.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the independence thing back fired on me. Fiat owns most of Ferrari and I guess that works (their cars need to lose weight too).
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Copied below a quote from a Northeast dealer, who I presume got from the horse's mouth, regarding the sunroof issue. It's probably been floated thru the forum before but it's the first time I actually saw it so here you go....

"A sunroof delete option for the 997 Coupe series will not be available for
the life span of the vehicle. Federal occupant crash regulations for sunroof
versus non-sunroof vehicles and the resultant engineering expense to meet
those regulations make this option financially non-viable, for the small
number of vehicles configured."
Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

"financially non-viable"

It's a sad day when the bean counters decide the minutiae of what we drive. I don't think they talk this way in Maranello...

Quick Reply: Porsche is listening?