996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche is listening?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006 | 07:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

that is how they became a multi BILLION dollar corporation. The customers that pulled them out of the brink was the boxter and SUV folks. It will take them time to change their direction back. They might just write off the "track" car people.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:58 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

ahem (clearing my throat)...the only other explanation is the pussyfication of Porsche!!
Old 06-29-2006 | 08:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

... and as I said before spread the cost of the crash testing against all the Porsche AG products not just the GT3. I think the street car models still subsidize the race car line up.
Old 06-29-2006 | 11:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
You also forgot to mention all the trick ...
Its possible I missed something but I was pretty thorough and used multiple versions of PET, TSBs, etc. to find all the parts. I did purposely leave out all the options that were also available as options on the regular GT3 (bolt-in rollcage, harnesses, fire extinguisher, electrical cutoff, tequipment exhaust covers, etc.) and the DME flash update because there is no part number for it other than the PIWIS software update number. If you notice anything missing let me know and I will add it to the list.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-30-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:09 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Jason,

You have clearly misunderstood the RS concept, I will however not be trying to turn you around as it would be to no use since you always seem to have what you think is the correct answer or argument to everything.

Ciao,
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:58 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
You have clearly misunderstood the RS concept
I've owned one for 13 years...
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:04 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I've owned one for 13 years...
Good for you!
Old 06-30-2006 | 03:10 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Personally I think there needs to be an engineer uprising at Porsche. It was because of engineers that this great (or once great depending who you ask) company came to be. It was because of engineers that the company became such a groundbreaking pioneer and such a spectacular sports car manufacturer of great stature considering the relatively small size of the company at the time. I doubt if even one engineer suggested the Cayenne as another solution to financially solidifying their future. Hopefully Porsche will eventually return to their roots.

IMO the RS was always meant to be a little more distant from standard models. 450hp, 9000rpm rev limit, fully adjustable suspension and 2700-2800lbs dry weight would do this for me, though I guess I'm not really a potential buyer at the moment. ;-) Isn't the 997 GT3 RS supposed to be a ~$20k premium over the 997 GT3? From what I remember I thought it was little more than a different steering wheel, wider flares/wheels, same hp, modded suspension, and a few other simple things.
Old 06-30-2006 | 08:41 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The Poseurs are going to love this new RS. PASM with a nice street setting, Sunroof and cruise control mandatory, regular flywheel (nice and quiet), and a cool racing wing on the back made out of CF (also bragging rights to other CF parts). Best feature - the RS sticker and colors.

A little cynicism in the morning to get us started... I went from being extremely excited to pick up the new 997 RS to being very disappointed and deciding not to "feed the machine".
Old 06-30-2006 | 09:32 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

sorry, but im confused, despite reading all the threads,

do we have a confirmed listing of EXACTLY how the USA RS will be different from the GT3?

id be far more willing to put up with a sunroof (if its there for regulations/crash tests) if the RS where a significantly more special car or really a barely street legal track car.

Consider the 993GT2 ... i think porsche got it right here, (of course USA never saw it) .. the 997 gt3 RS should be as close to a race car as the 993gt2
Old 06-30-2006 | 09:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Here's an assembly of what I've read so far... Remember, I didn't write all of this - these are various theories, rumors, and opinions - but the basis appears to be factual.

According to AutoWeek:
NOT FOR US
The following options will not be on the North American version of the GT3
RS:
- roll cage
- hard shell carbon fiber seats
- six point harness
- pre wiring for battery main switch
- plastic rear window
- single mass flywheel

We knew the roll cage, seats and harnesses wouldn't make it - they didn't on
the 996. The plastic window - well, there goes the weight reduction and I'm
sure it's gone due to crash certification. But to eliminate the flywheel?

The reason I've heard we aren't getting the single mass flywheel? Because the US buyer profile won't put up with the "noise". Consider this - the "typical" consumer Porsche appears to be going after with the RS is - dare I say it - the Poseur. Think about it - cruising down the boulevard in a new RS in Orange or Green with decals - arm out the window, sunroof open, and no rough mechanical noise from something like a lightweight flywheel.

Reducing this down to the "basics", the US RS is not at all an RS. I suppose you could call it a RSA - but it's sounding more a GT3 with an aero kit - sunroof, cruise control, a few CF body panels, a trick rear wing, some cool colors and decals. Mechanically, it appears they are the same (same engine, PASM, etc.). PCCB is rumored to be standard, but who wants them anyway due to their replacement cost. Not only do you pay $8k up front, but every time you need to replace the rotors it's over $20,000 ($5,100 per rotor - I still can't believe that). Most of us that were waiting for the RS are now even more disheartened. When the details (like sunroof) came out on the GT3, we all figured - well, at least we can still get the RS, because there's no way they'll mandate a sunroof and cruise control on that car. Then came the word that ALL GT3s would have a sunroof. Then this news - the RS is watered down.
Old 06-30-2006 | 10:45 AM
jaymtford
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RonCT
The reason I've heard we aren't getting the single mass flywheel? Because the US buyer profile won't put up with the "noise". Consider this - the "typical" consumer Porsche appears to be going after with the RS is - dare I say it - the Poseur. Think about it - cruising down the boulevard in a new RS in Orange or Green with decals - arm out the window, sunroof open, and no rough mechanical noise from something like a lightweight flywheel.
It's hard to cruise the strip looking for chicks when your car makes all sorts of rattling noises Only in America. Land of the Pimps and Poseurs

I still think there should be a test before you are allowed to buy a Porsche.
1) Identify the following people from photographs only.
- Huschke Von Hanstein
- Al Hobert
- Jacky Ickx
- Derek Bell
- Vic Elford
- Mark Donohue
2) Name the year, car, and drivers of Porsche's first overal victory at Le Mans
3) What is the origin of the word Carrera and why is it used on Porsches

I could come up with many others, but I'm sure you see my point.
Old 06-30-2006 | 11:01 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

There are all the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards excuses for deleting the rollcage, plastic glass, sunroof, carbon seats some of the excuses are probably real, some I believe a smokescreen.

There is no excuse for the deletion of the light flywheel I can see other than to soften the car.
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:46 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

This is a pure financial decision by I believe PCNA not Porsche AG to water the car down. Bottom line is PCNA feels they will sell more cars this way. Very short sighted, Porsche AG should not allow them to do this since it is going to deteriorate their overall brand. Not racing, and now not offering at least one pure car anymore is going take a toll on their image. When the overall market start to realize there is nothing special about a Porsche anymore, it will cost them way more to rebuild their brand then crash testing a few cars will now.
Old 06-30-2006 | 03:27 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

its not the f*&king sunroof, but its the entire idea that PorscheNA cant deliver 1 sub-verision of the current 997 as an enthusiast car w/o selling out to the mass market.

If you gave me a 993gt2 with a sunroof and said 'this is a street legal race car, but they had to keep the roof for crash test reasons' , i doubt people would bitch very much b/c its the real thing. At least make the RS the real thing even if they sell-out on the normal gt3.

Quick Reply: Porsche is listening?