GT3: Excessive negative rear camber

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GT3: Excessive negative rear camber

No good.

This occurred Friday afternoon, just down the street from my office. If you can read the sign in the background and you can guess exactly what happened (actually you don't even need to read the sign). The passenger snapped his forearm in half. No further explanation needed.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if PSM would have helped.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Dave@EFI
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! That sucks......
Old 06-12-2006, 02:21 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 670 Posts

One less on the road.

Seriously, two things here.

1) This is why Porsche is giving us PSM and a sunroof.

2) 996 GT3 prices are going to rise.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,888 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos

2) 996 GT3 prices are going to rise.
man, we should have held on to ours.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 670 Posts

Now I gotta go find another one to buy
Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

thats sad to see. I hope he recovers alright! PSM helps to a point, but if you are driving out of your range of ability you are eventually going to have something like this happen. Driving too hard on the street is dangerous, even a good driver can come upon a surface issue and lose control. Driving overly aggressive should be saved for the track
Old 06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,888 Likes on 2,408 Posts

PSM is not miracle worker. long ago a friend of mine had a 996c4s. it has psm AND awd. he still managed to spin it, and he's not that bad a driver. so, just b/c there's psm, you can still lose it.

Last edited by mooty; 06-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

No, PSM is not a miracle worker. It is a smart litte system though; this past winter, I turned it off several times in the Cayenne Turbo to see what it was like. PSM made a huge difference in icy/wet/snowy conditions. I was very impressed, and glad to have the system. In fact, the Porsche handled better than my brother's Jeep Cherokee, which has large, grippy mud/snow tires on it. With PSM on of course; PSM off the Cherokee was better.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
J-RAD
Racer

It's not confirmed but I heard the driver was a guy named Dietrich.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PASM is not PSM. The 997 GT3 will not have PSM. Now as far as the hole... the driver good be lifted through it if the doors are blocked.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Just plain unlucky...

I drove by the spot of this incident this morning. Look again at the photo, specifically the lower right hand corner. This road has no curbing, just straight flat run off, except where there a small drainage bridges. At these points, the curbing is elevated by 6 inches. So, guess where he went off...right in the middle of a strip of curbing that is maybe 20 feet long. Hence the broken hubs. Ouch!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Originally Posted by jdlesliemn
Just plain unlucky...

I drove by the spot of this incident this morning. Look again at the photo, specifically the lower right hand corner. This road has no curbing, just straight flat run off, except where there a small drainage bridges. At these points, the curbing is elevated by 6 inches. So, guess where he went off...right in the middle of a strip of curbing that is maybe 20 feet long. Hence the broken hubs. Ouch!
I didn't take pictures but I should...

If you're able to drive by the area where this occured, you'll actually see just how lucky he really was. He could've just as easily been killed a couple different ways. That little bit of curb you see (just a sliver of in the bottom middle of the picture) is the curb he hit. It exists because it's part of a bridge that overpasses a walking path about 15/20 feet below. On the right side of the photo is some folliage. It only goes in about 8 - 10 ft and then there is a very big drop off with nothing but that very small folliage to slow him down. Also just out of the angle of this shot is a tree that would've done some serious damage. I can't be positive but I think he also took out about a 4ft diameter boulder. It's sitting at the bottom of the big enbankment and it looks like it used to sit right in the path of the GT3. That must've slowed him down a bit!

He was simply going too fast and lost control. There is kind of an uphill "S" turn where this occurred. Evidently, he was headed towards the guard rail, over-corrected, hit the curb and... well you see the result. Note: I believe the posted speed limit is 30 mph.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
RK1
Instructor

First of all, I hope no one had a serious injury and if they did I hope they have a speedy recovery.
Now,
What is with you guys and all the Electronic (Save my ****) systems. Like it was said they DO NOT do miracles. One can NOT escape the laws of physics. I do agree that under certain conditions these electronic (Save my ****) systems do help (limited traction) being one of them but by no means are they a replacement for good sense and good driving scales.
Now I'm not saying that I'm a pro driver and I have had my share of incidents in cars with and without various electronic (Save my ****) systems and it has always been the drivers fault. I blame no one but my self in every incident.
It is simply too easy to get a drivers license here in US. And I highly recommend that all drivers do many DE's at various levels. Its like everything else.... More seat time will make you a better driver and hopefully out of trouble.

K1
Old 06-13-2006, 11:12 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J-RAD
It's not confirmed but I heard the driver was a guy named Dietrich.

Quick Reply: GT3: Excessive negative rear camber