Sponsored by:

Test Drive Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Test Drive Protocol

When one is selling his car, what is the protocol for letting prospective buyers test drive it.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-08-2006, 02:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

This is best answered by your insurance co, IMO.

Having said that, make sure the car is warmed up either by driving it prior to the prospect's arrival, or you driving for a sufficient time with him in the pax seat. Check that he has a driver's license. Ensure he understands the car, e.g., lift-throttle oversteer, and all its operating components. Set the ground rules for a test drive. While you're driving, wind it up to redline so he can see/feel its power. While he's driving, no more than xxxx rpm. No breaking of speed limits. Invite him to the next track event for a full-power display.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it is necessary - if it is in your case - ground rules must be made clear since they have not put down a deposit.
I usually allow them to drive it with me in the passanger seat and get ready to shut it down - pick an easy area to drive (no traffic industrial).
In any case, think that if you offer that they can have and pay for your dealer to do an inspection, they should realize that for toodling about, a test drive will show little to them. It has to be driven far harder than you will allow them to drive it.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Having said that, make sure the car is warmed up either by driving it prior to the prospect's arrival, or you driving for a sufficient time with him in the pax seat. Check that he has a driver's license. Ensure he understands the car, e.g., lift-throttle oversteer, and all its operating components. Set the ground rules for a test drive. While you're driving, wind it up to redline so he can see/feel its power. While he's driving, no more than xxxx rpm. No breaking of speed limits. Invite him to the next track event for a full-power display.
This is excellent advice. I have one more thing to add though, QUALIFY your buyer as there will be many posers that will want to take it for a spin. As I go through many cars, I also have to sell many cars. I generally tell my buyers that they can only drive it if they are prepared to buy it if they like it and it passes any desired inspections.

This was asked of me when I test drove the GT3. We negotiated the price and I told them that if it did the trick for me, I would write the check. Suffice it to say that I left with the car. This is reasonable to request as it is not a circus ride, it is your $110K+ car!

And under no circumstances let them out without you in the passenger seat and do not be afraid to ask them to ease off or slow down as it is your car!

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Adlam
When one is selling his car, what is the protocol for letting prospective buyers test drive it.

Thanks,

Chris
i tested the one i bought at thunderhill raceway for 200 miles
Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
i tested the one i bought at thunderhill raceway for 200 miles
Dude, now that is a test drive!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Dude, now that is a test drive!
understanding owner, of course.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
AW
Pro

I usually let a serious buyer test drive. However, I insist on staying below 4000 rpm until the oil temp is adequate. Then I act really scared in the passenger seat. Usually, I don't need to perform a lot of acting and that's sufficient to set the limit. If the driver is out of control, I would have no problem asking for an immediate stop and driver switch.

AW

Quick Reply: Test Drive Protocol