Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the GT3 be configured with rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lacks a 8400 redline...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:41 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Whats wrong with a 997 S with X51 and PASM?
The GT3 has the better engine, imo. Higher redline, true dry sump lubrication, less RMS risk.

Plus you don't have to get that hideous PCM screen if you don't want it!

The GT3 also has nicer wheels, imo.

The only advantage the X51 C2S would have is the absence of the GT3's boy-racer look... and rear seats!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Have you driven a 997S X51? The GT3 pulls hard away from it so either the GT3 is very under rated or the 997S is over rated! Anyway, I would not go to a 997S when the GT3 is available if that is what I wanted.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

RGT
Old 06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bora
MJSPEED,

If one is carrying kids around in the back frequently, I think the only Porsche that would be comfortable long term would be the Cayenne or the new Panamera.

I would be looking towards a product from BMW like the M6 or the M3 if frequent backseat use is required.
I agree but if one wanted to still have a track capable Porsche there are choices that Porsche gives you.

I don't see the issue with going with a 997S X51, Sport Chrono + and aerokit. It is intedended exactly for this type of application.

"I don't want to go on a rant here but," no offence to anyone but these situations are the type that end ruining a car's purpose. First it was that Porsche's didn't have cup holders, so they added those. Then it was that they were to small and not enought creature comforts, so the 996 was made bigger with more features and now the 997 even moreso. How could they not have SAT/NAV "my lexus coupe has it...", so Porsche adds it on. babies They're too dangerous and fast to drive, so here come the e-gadgets. The GT3 is too harsh and it doesn't have a sunroof, now that's been "fixed" Now you get "the GT3's would be ideal if had back seats"...then it will be since the back seats are for kids only can we get video screens on the back of the headrests with a dvd player under one seat and an XBOX 360 under the other? Where or when does it stop?!?

Here we have a case where someone is thinking about adding seats in the back of a car that was not intended by the manufacturer to have any and thus taking on liability to do so.

If you want a GT3 its because you want a track oriented street car with NO backseats, dry sump engine (only needed if you're running slicks), stiffer suspension (great for the track but terrible for back seat passengers, which its not supposed to have). If you want back seats and a more "livable" ride for you and your passengers then I would still suggest the 997S X51, sport chrono+ with aerokit and add PSE if you want.

Since I want something even more hardcore, I'm happy as a pig in you know what that we're getting the RS. Which is even more track oriented. More of but not exactly, a streetable race car.

Enough people start asking for back seats and next thing you know is in the MkII 997 GT3 or the 998 GT3 if either will even exist the US market will get the back seat option on it. Then they'll want the RS to "well be more comfortable..."

I've said it before, Porsche is catering to (and intelligently so from a financial perspective) the larger mass appeal, but I ask/warn at what expense. The cost IMHO is too high, they (PAG/PCNA) are losing it's focus/direction that made Porsche the car company it is today. They have cars and a truck that will basically fit anyone's needs. The one's that fit the needs of the pure driving enthusiasts (Porsche's original prospect) are being reduced. We're down to two or maybe three (if you include the Cayman S). The GT3 is now further from that threshold than it's predecessor was and it will only continue to do so if this type of request keeps getting asked of Porsche. Or maybe Porsche will do what they did in the past and not bring the GT3 and/or RS to the NA market.

Pick from the plethora of choices that PAG/PCNA have given you or I suggest as bora has look for something from BMW or Mercedes...either way enjoy what you spend your dollars on.

I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well written MJ.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I agree but if one wanted to still have a track capable Porsche there are choices that Porsche gives you.

I don't see the issue with going with a 997S X51, Sport Chrono + and aerokit. It is intedended exactly for this type of application.

"I don't want to go on a rant here but," no offence to anyone but these situations are the type that end ruining a car's purpose. First it was that Porsche's didn't have cup holders, so they added those. Then it was that they were to small and not enought creature comforts, so the 996 was made bigger with more features and now the 997 even moreso. How could they not have SAT/NAV "my lexus coupe has it...", so Porsche adds it on. babies They're too dangerous and fast to drive, so here come the e-gadgets. The GT3 is too harsh and it doesn't have a sunroof, now that's been "fixed" Now you get "the GT3's would be ideal if had back seats"...then it will be since the back seats are for kids only can we get video screens on the back of the headrests with a dvd player under one seat and an XBOX 360 under the other? Where or when does it stop?!?

Here we have a case where someone is thinking about adding seats in the back of a car that was not intended by the manufacturer to have any and thus taking on liability to do so.

If you want a GT3 its because you want a track oriented street car with NO backseats, dry sump engine (only needed if you're running slicks), stiffer suspension (great for the track but terrible for back seat passengers, which its not supposed to have). If you want back seats and a more "livable" ride for you and your passengers then I would still suggest the 997S X51, sport chrono+ with aerokit and add PSE if you want.

Since I want something even more hardcore, I'm happy as a pig in you know what that we're getting the RS. Which is even more track oriented. More of but not exactly, a streetable race car.

Enough people start asking for back seats and next thing you know is in the MkII 997 GT3 or the 998 GT3 if either will even exist the US market will get the back seat option on it. Then they'll want the RS to "well be more comfortable..."

I've said it before, Porsche is catering to (and intelligently so from a financial perspective) the larger mass appeal, but I ask/warn at what expense. The cost IMHO is too high, they (PAG/PCNA) are losing it's focus/direction that made Porsche the car company it is today. They have cars and a truck that will basically fit anyone's needs. The one's that fit the needs of the pure driving enthusiasts (Porsche's original prospect) are being reduced. We're down to two or maybe three (if you include the Cayman S). The GT3 is now further from that threshold than it's predecessor was and it will only continue to do so if this type of request keeps getting asked of Porsche. Or maybe Porsche will do what they did in the past and not bring the GT3 and/or RS to the NA market.

Pick from the plethora of choices that PAG/PCNA have given you or I suggest as bora has look for something from BMW or Mercedes...either way enjoy what you spend your dollars on.

I'll get off my soap box now...
Could've not said it better.

And while reading it, I got pissed, god damn pimps that ruin/try to ruin everything!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Whats wrong with a 997 S with X51 and PASM? It has the same HP, more torque and the option for Track or out with the family suspension.
M97 POS wet sump engine.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
M97 POS wet sump engine.
Why is it a POS? Because of the RMS issue...search the GT2/3 forum and you'll find that some GT3's also had RMS issues. Not as many as 996's but then again not as many were made.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:54 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Why is it a POS? Because of the RMS issue...search the GT2/3 forum and you'll find that some GT3's also had RMS issues. Not as many as 996's but then again not as many were made.
Why do the M64 GT2/3 Turbo engines cost a few times more than the M96/7 of the regular 911's?

Why do M96/7's have oil starvation problems and M64's don't?

Right, it's a punched out wet sump Boxster engine.

I don't know about you, but I am not paying 85 to 90K for a 911 with a Boxster based engine instead of the GT1 derived dry sump block that PAG races.

"Integrated" dry sump is PAG markeitng speak for wet sump you sucker who paid too much for a Boxster engine 911.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
355Spider
Advanced

I already asked the deale rand they took one look and said, "no problem we can install them before you take delivery."
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM
redcar1
Instructor

That's the right answer. While it isn't cheap, it is really not that big a deal. Every 911 is fundamentally designed to include back seats. If you don't want them in a GT3 don't put them in. If you don't want them in a base 997, thake them out.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Originally Posted by benfmd
I like the GT3, but I need the rear seats for the little kids. Is there any way to order rear seats in a 997 GT3 as a factory installed option?
I think that's a valid question and I believe the answer is 'no' to factory fit, but 'yes' to after-market fit.

Although the GT3 is homologated as a 2-seater, the 997 is type approved as a 2+2.

Obviously you would need tilting front seats and no roll cage. Then, to be on the safe side it is probably worth having the rear belts, seats, etc, professionally fitted using original Porsche parts and getting a certificate to this effect. Notify your insurers and the job's done. Your kids can be the envy of all their chums when they arrive at school in Stuttgart's finest.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

A Ruf RGT has the dry sump European GT3 engine, at least 385 naturally aspirated horses, can be purchased with back seats, has Ruf's integrated rollbar built in, has GT3 seats, and has a crossbrace with the five point belts that can be removed if you want to drive the little ones around.

There are not to many around, but Ruf's build reputation is held in high esteem, and is DOT legal in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Can the GT3 be configured with rear seats?