Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the GT3 be configured with rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by benfmd
I like the GT3, but I need the rear seats for the little kids. Is there any way to order rear seats in a 997 GT3 as a factory installed option?
You don't want to put rear seats into the back of 2-door Porsche with front seats that don't fold forward. If your car ever flips over onto its roof it will be impossible for the rear passengers to get out, sliding the seats forward while upside down is near impossible. This becomes an ever bigger problem when fire is involved as happened a few years ago to a BMW on a webforum club ride. The rear passenger burned to death...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You don't want to put rear seats into the back of 2-door Porsche with front seats that don't fold forward. If your car ever flips over onto its roof it will be impossible for the rear passengers to get out, sliding the seats forward while upside down is near impossible. This becomes an ever bigger problem when fire is involved as happened a few years ago to a BMW on a webforum club ride. The rear passenger burned to death...
Remeber that US cars have folding sport seats, not the Recaro shells that the rest of the world gets.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
gtdrei
Pro

I like the GT3, but I need the rear seats for the little kids. Is there any way to order rear seats in a 997 GT3 as a factory installed option?
No US dealer would take, or could book that order.

Technically, you could install them after purchase. All the mounting holes are there, just plugged up with some gunk. From a safety standpoint, the GT3 is probably a more crash-safe car than the other models because of the seam welded body.

It would void your insurance if there were an accident. The GT3 is certified for 2 passengers. US insurance companies first reaction after an accident is "let's see...how can we deny coverage ? "

Robin
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Terrible idea if for no other reason than liability.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And when you get ready to sell it...

"No, really. It's a GT3!"
Old 06-03-2006, 01:02 AM
yongster
Racer

Do a search, this topic has been discussed many times before.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, give it to the xzibit and boys at West Coast Customs, they can also add a koi fish pond back of the GT3 while they're at it!

Seriously, previous suggestions (about 997 S with X & aerokit) are valid.
I do understand if you want a good track car & also haul kids in it but you can only compromise so far. 997 S with X & aero is a great car at track and IMHO when you make mods such as this (rear seat) to a GT3 type of car, you are in a way "destroying" the whole idea behind it. Not to mention the chrash scenarios etc.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:53 AM
gtdrei
Pro

And when you get ready to sell it...
"No, really. It's a GT3!"

The VIN # gives you that information.

Robin
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

it would not be safe ... dont even try it.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
bora
Racer

MJSPEED,

If one is carrying kids around in the back frequently, I think the only Porsche that would be comfortable long term would be the Cayenne or the new Panamera.

I would be looking towards a product from BMW like the M6 or the M3 if frequent backseat use is required.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Not trying to tell you how to spend your dead presidents but wouldn't you be better off to get a 997S X51 with the aerokit and sport chrono +. It would be a better ride for the kids in back anyway. If you're going to really track the car then you wouldn't want the extra weight of the rears seats. If you're not a track guy then the 997S is fine after all if you don't go with slicks you won't be getting into the oil deprevation issue that would require the dry sump.

Again not trying to tell you how to spend your mula just a thought.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 PM
leslie
Instructor

I had a Mk1 996 GT3 with folding front seats. One of the first things I did was to fit back seats and belts. And I took the family to the track occassionally.

In fact, at the very end of a session, we went for a series of 4-5 relatively slow laps with the wife driving, me in the passenger seat and my son, strapped into his porsche prince seat in the rear.

It was one of those priceless moments.

Of course some of you will disapprove and say that we were not covered insurance wise etc etc. But we were careful about it, drove sensibly and as I said before, it was truly priceless to hear my son hollering in delight as we powered round the last turn and down the start/finish line....

Bet you can tell that my view on tis issue is

a) it can be done
b) life is too short - if your circumstances allow it to be done, NIKE!
Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Honnestly I think you guys are pushing it a little too far. Yes the GT3 is an amazing car but lets not forget that it was created on the same platform and therfore the holes for the backseat are still there. It's not like the guy wants to micky mouse the entire thing by drilling his own holes to mount the seats and seat belts. If I had the funds and would really want a GT3 with four seats, I would order the car and buy all the extra regular panels and seats, then if I would want to sell the car, I would just retrofit everything back to stock GT3 spec.

As liability goes I don't think Porsche would void anything because you mounted seats using the original holes. Porsche dealers sell and install techquipment rollbars and euro GT3 seats, does your insurance void the policy??
Old 06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Default GT3's make fabulous 4 Seaters!

Do a search and you should find more details, but I have a 4 passenger GT3 that I wouldn't trade for anything. My dealer did the installation and it is flawless. There is some welding of the outer seatback pivot bracket.

In addition to being able to safely take my kids, I also track the car very hard, just not at the same time!!

Seriously, as I said before, if you hesitate to do perfectly logical things out of fear of liability, then don't do it; but if you want a terrific 4 seater that you can really hammer on track days then do it. It would NOT be a good idea if you had euro style one piece front seats.

Mark
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
healeyg
Instructor

benfmd -

seems entirely possible as the 996 was designed that way (4 passangers), but
what about the safety of having racing seats, 6 pt belts and a roll bar for track work?
thats what i did b/c it really is the only "bare bones" safe way of seriously tracking the car
if you figure on that, you can't put the rear seats in as there is no way to access the back

so, how hard are you going to track the car? if your going to go 8/10ths or harder, and travel at 100+mph, i think you untimately want the safety gear

if you are going to go in "green" for a track day or two, you can prob get away with no safety equipment... but then your really not going to "use" it on the track

personally, i had the child seat airbag switch installed passanger side (i think it is called the zoom seat) and take turns giving my 3 kids a ride around town
Old 06-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats wrong with a 997 S with X51 and PASM? It has the same HP, more torque and the option for Track or out with the family suspension.

Quick Reply: Can the GT3 be configured with rear seats?