Sponsored by:

GT3 RS - official news from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 10:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MickOpalak
To clarify: the Vette, Lotus and GT3 all offer similiar levels of handling, braking and acceleration, where the Volve mentioned probably only shines in the acceleration department.
mick, many rennlister, myself included have owned elise s1 or s2. as light and as capable as the lotus is, it pales absolutely pales in comparison in terms of braking pwr compared to a GT3. and above 100mph, it runs out of power.

however, in very tight circuits, it has some advantages over GT3. but to say lotus is in the same league as porsches in the realm of braking power, it is not even close.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:36 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MickOpalak
Just off hand, besides the Z06, I'd say the Noble M400, Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, TVR Sagaris & Ariel Atom. I believe they're all priced well below $127K.
yes, all below 127k, but they are all toys, not cars.
viper comp coupe is formidable. but the GTS coupe needs brakes, or you will end up on the other side of the k wall on track. ask any viper trackers. it need brakes and tranny cooler or else the tranny will catch on fire, i kid you not.

TVR... hahhaahaha, enough said.

aerial atom, great car... but i like to say alive past 40 years old.

noble M400, very fast, but i can drive my GT3 non stop for 90 minute until the tank dries out without a prob, i am not sure you can push noble that hard for that long though.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:44 PM
KA
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Since no one has answered my question I'll ask it again...
I would as long as PCCB's come standard along with the carbon seats!
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

awe mooty.

btw, you think it's still worth going up to farnbacherloles to the drive the cayman frankencar?

I think I have to get the new GT3 for about the same money and few headaches.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:56 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Dan,

I agree with what you've said just one slight difference...I'm not buying that the PDF file is accurate
I don't think it is accurate either. There is no quoted loss of topspeed despite the increased drag from the fatboy rear
Old 05-30-2006 | 11:00 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
awe mooty.

btw, you think it's still worth going up to farnbacherloles to the drive the cayman frankencar?

I think I have to get the new GT3 for about the same money and few headaches.
B/N frankencar and gt3, i take gt3.
i am sure cayman with correct motor is still great, but i rather it coming from porsche, not outside tuner.
Old 05-30-2006 | 11:04 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since no one has answered my question I'll ask it again...
Me too!

However, it's going to be interesting to see the volumes on this car.

I wonder if the deposit game is going to be played, a la the CGT.

People with multiple deposits chasing one car, causing the Dealers to salivate and drive up "perceived" demand, Porsche responding and then the cars will lanquish on the lots.

Or will PCNA do the honorable thing and announce a limited production of 500 or so cars, and be done with it. Everyone has known (through this Board and others) that this car was coming, so if they didn't have a deposit down, too bad!

It would be hard to see how they would sell more than 500, especially alongside the GT3.
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:06 AM
Holger B
Race Car

I must be missing something, I just don't get what the big deal is about the RS. It must be about exclusivity (& maybe looks & graphics) because the weight difference is minimal, power is the same, almost no one will be able to tell the suspension apart from the regular GT3, the back end is <2 inches wider, etc. We can also be pretty sure the US version won't have the CGT seats and roll bar (it might not even have the LWF!). I'm glad that I'm still so happy with my 996 GT3 that there's no reason for me to have to justify the extra cash for the RS...
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:11 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

HolgerB,

I also noticed the "lack of mention" of the seats and LWF in the US release, while siting some specific other features and weight savings. I wonder if LWF required different emmission testing and seats required additional crash testing, since they are not in the CGT. Time will tell!

JCM
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:25 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Even if it doesn't come with the above, they can be added.

Now the sunroof, nobody's talking much about that.

What if the GT3 has it, and the RS doesn't?
Old 05-31-2006 | 07:12 AM
911 silverback
Advanced

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Holger B
I must be missing something, I just don't get what the big deal is about the RS. It must be about exclusivity (& maybe looks & graphics) because the weight difference is minimal, power is the same, almost no one will be able to tell the suspension apart from the regular GT3, the back end is <2 inches wider, etc. We can also be pretty sure the US version won't have the CGT seats and roll bar (it might not even have the LWF!). I'm glad that I'm still so happy with my 996 GT3 that there's no reason for me to have to justify the extra cash for the RS...
I agree it seems you guys are getting a bit over excited about this car, is it just becauses you can now finally buy an RS in the US?
In comparison the new RS over here in Europe has had a very luke warm reception so far..

...rob

Last edited by 911 silverback; 05-31-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 08:55 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I had my name down for an RS.But the extra £15000 for it,is a bit steep in my opinion.
It looks great but not enough of an improvement to justify the premium.I will get a standard one with CF seats and PCCB for a saving of around 40kg.The RS also has firmer PASM so probably not so handy as a daily driver.
Shane
Old 05-31-2006 | 09:04 AM
MickOpalak
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
mick, many rennlister, myself included have owned elise s1 or s2. as light and as capable as the lotus is, it pales absolutely pales in comparison in terms of braking pwr compared to a GT3. To say lotus is in the same league as porsches in the realm of braking power, it is not even close.
I guess I was misinformed. Road&Track said that their best braking distance ever from 60 mph was the Elise at 105ft. From 80 mph the Elise is only equaled by the Ferrari Enzo. But I guess they were mistaken with their database full of testing data.
Old 05-31-2006 | 09:12 AM
MickOpalak
Advanced

yes, all below 127k, but they are all toys, not cars.
What differentiates a car from a toy?!? Some people might consider the GT3RS a toy also and not a car. Its amazing how easily you dismiss other cars.

TVR... hahhaahaha, enough said.
Umm... actually you said nothing. Am I supposed to interpret "hahhaahaha" as some sort of informed commentary?

aerial atom, great car... but i like to say alive past 40 years old.
I haven't read any reports of the Atom being any more dangerous than any other car. Do you have any documented cases you could point me towards?

noble M400, very fast, but i can drive my GT3 non stop for 90 minute until the tank dries out without a prob, i am not sure you can push noble that hard for that long though.
You're not sure? So you've never tried or know anyone who has? I don't think you can so easily dismiss it then, can you?
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:04 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
At $144k (including PCCB and the rumored Manthey 440 powerkit) the GT3RS will be a bargain.
I wonder how "streetable" the GT3 RS will be. If its street-legal in name only, meaning that it is barely tolerable on the street, but you wouldn't want to drive it for more than 100miles or so, then isn't the Cup Car, at $131,000 plus the $9,000 spares package, a better buy?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - official news from Porsche