996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS - official news from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 12:51 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Here is what Autoweek says about the RS http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...024/LATESTNEWS

The last sentence: "And when they do finally come Stateside, expect North American versions to be delivered sans roll cage, fire extinguisher, carbon fiber racing seats and other race-ready features" is dissappointing though.
Old 06-02-2006 | 01:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Here is what Autoweek says about the RS http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...024/LATESTNEWS

The last sentence: "And when they do finally come Stateside, expect North American versions to be delivered sans roll cage, fire extinguisher, carbon fiber racing seats and other race-ready features" is dissappointing though.
Yep lexan windows...like I said in other posts...this was expected and isn't really a big deal...besides in another thread some one posted that Porsche is currently attempting to get the lexan & roll bar certified for the US market...
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:29 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colm
Even if it doesn't come with the above, they can be added.

Now the sunroof, nobody's talking much about that.

What if the GT3 has it, and the RS doesn't?
Actually, if Porsche goes to the trouble of certifying the RS without a sunroof, chances are very good that the regular GT3 will at least have a sunroof delete option. IMHO
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:37 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Actually, if Porsche goes to the trouble of certifying the RS without a sunroof, chances are very good that the regular GT3 will at least have a sunroof delete option. IMHO
The roll cage and the wide body could be the differentiating factor, so the GT3 might have a sunroof but wouldn't necessarily mean the RS would.

Maybe, the wide body was already tested without the sunroof?
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:04 PM
healeyg
Instructor

i'm not one to regulate, but how can convertables have vinal plastic rear windows, but cars can't have lexan rear windows? doesn't make any sense
not that DOT regulations always do...
also, how did the 360CS come in with lexan windows?
Old 06-02-2006 | 05:20 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Thanx MJ.

healeyg, the CS has a glass window between the driver and the engine.
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:30 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

How many of you had deposits placed on the GT3 before the official RS announcement in the US? I just got a call from my dealer that 8 people before me gave up their spots and I could order my GT3 this week for Aug/Sept delivery. I only got in line a month ago. If this is the case, is the RS going to dampen sales of the regular GT3?
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by healeyg
i'm not one to regulate, but how can convertables have vinal plastic rear windows, but cars can't have lexan rear windows? doesn't make any sense
not that DOT regulations always do...
also, how did the 360CS come in with lexan windows?
My guess is that the issue with lexan is how it shatters (or doesn't) in case of an accident. DOT regulations are set up so that in case of an accident there aren't any large pieces of sharp glass or in this case lexan in the cabin. That's the same thing with windsheilds. "Back in the day" glass was just glass and many individuals were injured and/or killed by large pieces of glass intruding or being shot into the cabin but now in accidents glass shatters into "millions" of tiny little pieces...making it safer.

Thus not being an issue with vinyl.

Having said that, it's my understanding that through computer simulations Porsche is trying to illustrate the minimal possibility of the rear and quarter windows causing this type of danger/situation/issues. I hope they can.

As far as the seats can anyone confirm that the reason that we might not get them is because of the side airbags.

Here's my thought, since there are no back seats in the RS (or GT3 for that matter) then the "reason/excuse" that we can't get fixed back seats because they don't allow access to the rear, should be a moot point. Also fixed back seats are safer than reclineable seats in that the potential distance traveled in an accident while sitting in it is shorter therefore keeping one's head further away from the rollbar, especially with 4 or 6 point harnesses. Does this not make sense?
Old 06-02-2006 | 06:47 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by princetonporsche
How many of you had deposits placed on the GT3 before the official RS announcement in the US? I just got a call from my dealer that 8 people before me gave up their spots and I could order my GT3 this week for Aug/Sept delivery. I only got in line a month ago. If this is the case, is the RS going to dampen sales of the regular GT3?
I used to be #1 on the GT3 list at my dealer but back in Jan/Feb I told him to start an RS list and that I would be #1 on that one as well. I told him that if the RS was/is coming then I would opt out of the "regular" GT3 list in favour of the RS.

Today he called to confirm that I am #1 on the RS list and that they're receiving calls from individuals wanting to be placed on the RS list everyday and that they're not taking any orders from out of staters.

The RS will dampen some of the GT3 sales but with it's (GT3) much broader appeal I think they're still going to move quite well. Then there are those that will forego their GT3's for RS's only to later realize that the RS is not what they want.
Old 06-02-2006 | 07:08 PM
AlanN
Instructor

Originally Posted by MickOpalak
Just off hand, besides the Z06, I'd say the Noble M400, Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, TVR Sagaris & Ariel Atom. I believe they're all priced well below $127K.

Have you ever been to a track with an Atom or ANY TVR or Noble?

1)they would probably all break down on the way TO the track
2)if they didn't they'd break at the track, normally in the first hour
3)if none of the above, then on the way home
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:24 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...Then there are those that will forego their GT3's for RS's only to later realize that the RS is not what they want.
Oh mama (with Kramer's voice)!!

I tell you there is one Finnish dude who will be knocking on their door when that time comes!

And that orange (or green) color is such a bad color for resale value too!
Old 06-03-2006 | 11:24 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

In reality I really hope that those individuals go with the GT3 and not the RS but there still will be those that make that "mistake" after all they did with the 996 GT3...
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
In reality I really hope that those individuals go with the GT3 and not the RS but there still will be those that make that "mistake" after all they did with the 996 GT3...
Without a question there will be those who whine and bitch about GT3 being too hard, loud etc. There were plenty of those with 996 GT3 who did that and I honestly just don't get it at all.

Where/are they all Cadillac Seville Coupe drivers converting to a GT3?
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:30 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't get it either Porsche is being very clear about the "race car" attributes of both the GT3 and the RS. Yet some will buy it and claim that they didn't know or think it would be that "harsh!" Serenity now!
Old 06-03-2006 | 04:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I actually meant more how soft, quiet and comfortable the GT3 actually is but I do agree what you're saying.

"Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now, serenity now..."!!!

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - official news from Porsche