Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you been at the track with a well driven C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:21 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very few manufacturers sell road cars with brakes good enough for track usage. This whole every wheel has 6 pads thing is insane though.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Boulder GT3

I didn't see the c6 z06 brake issues everyone is discussing in this thread. Granted, it was Spring Mountain in NV that doesn't have a really high speed front and back staight but still, they held up fine for me. Pretty easy to overheat the c5 Z06 brakes on the same track.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have ridden in them, never driven one...the brakes do not last a full DE session before they are over stressed. They may stop well for a couple of laps but are not capable of being used hard for long term driving or racing without serious modification.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

By the end of the year, I am sure a brake upgrade will be available for the cars, rotor, pads, calipers, for race usage. I think Lingenfelter already has them - its not on thier site right now though. I assume they have SOMETHING, since, you know, they already have a 45k package with twin turbos that makes 800 reliable HP.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Frankly, I would be disapointed as a owner if Chevy knew about these issues and let the car out the door from BowlingGreen. Great car but they dropped the ball..............
That's kinda how I felt about the first gen PCCB's
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly OT, but I was at Willow Springs as one of the World Challenge Z06's was being tested.
2900 lbs and 550 hp on Toyo spec tires. I've raced dozens of GT3 Cup cars club racers and pros,
and none can come close to what I witnessed that day.

I've been on the track with both. Stock 996 GT3's vs the Zo6 and the Vett is easily two seconds a lap faster with equal drivers. Willow isn't really that hard on brakes so in a 20 minute session brakes are not a factor. At Laguna Seca which is a Porsche track and more braking the 996 GT3 is almost equal. Can't wait for the 997 GT3.
Jimmy
993tt 3.8
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 PM
robsc
Intermediate

Of course you could boil fluid if you push your car hard, if you don’t put In some DOT 4 brake fluid. That has nothing to do with quality issues. And the Z06 brakes are awesome, you just need to switch to a race pad to get better bite, when going to the track. The quality of the new Z06’s are very good especially for its first year. Most owners are having no problems whats so ever.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:37 AM
GT2RS
AutoX

Originally Posted by JJayB
Slightly OT, but I was at Willow Springs as one of the World Challenge Z06's was being tested.
2900 lbs and 550 hp on Toyo spec tires. I've raced dozens of GT3 Cup cars club racers and pros,
and none can come close to what I witnessed that day.
Yes, maybe against a CUP car with far less power... but how about an ALMS spec 996 RSR with the restrictors taken off (~500hp)?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:33 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT2RS
Yes, maybe against a CUP car with far less power... but how about an ALMS spec 996 RSR with the restrictors taken off (~500hp)?
Too many variables to compare, but according to Porsche Motorsports Eric Bloss, its only the 3.8 Daytona prototypes that are in the 500 hp range.
Now they have proven too fast and will incure a 75 lb penalty.

Porsche needs to homologate the 3.8 in a road car to stay in the hunt in Grand AM and the rumors are a GT3 RS will be here soon with a 3.8.

The POC record for a GT3 in NI is 1:32 on "R" tires at Willow Springs. Zo6's are running 1:32's on stock run flats. I think the "R" are good for at least 2 seconds. BTW, these are with good club drivers. Nothing is ever equal in motorsports.

Jimmy
993tt 3.8
Old 05-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by JJayB
Slightly OT,
I've been on the track with both. Stock 996 GT3's vs the Zo6 and the Vett is easily two seconds a lap faster with equal drivers. Willow isn't really that hard on brakes so in a 20 minute session brakes are not a factor. At Laguna Seca which is a Porsche track and more braking the 996 GT3 is almost equal. Can't wait for the 997 GT3.
Jimmy
993tt 3.8
Actually, I think you're right on topic. Pragmatism goes out the window when people are defensive about their marque. It cracks me up when people ding the Z06 start up issues. It's going to happen on anything that is leading edge. If they get everything perfect it's too late to market. I was reading this and thinking back on the 911's I've owned. I started in the pulled stud thermo reactor era and moved through chain tensioners and lousy AC right up to RMS leaks. Loved all of them.

In the end, I think Z06's are terrific. It brings more enthusiasts and interest to motorsports and damn sure makes Porsche and Ferrari have their engineering pencils sharp.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 05-13-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:31 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Actually, I think you're right on OT. Pragmatism goes out the window when people are defensive about their marque. It cracks me up when people ding the Z06 start up issues. It's going to happen on anything that is leading edge. If they get everything perfect it's too late to market. I was reading this and thinking back on the 911's I've owned. I started in the pulled stud thermo reactor era and moved through chain tensioners and lousy AC right up to RMS leaks. Loved all of them.

In the end, I think Z06's are terrific. It brings more enthusiasts and interest to motorsports and damn sure makes Porsche and Ferrari have their engineering pencils sharp.
The Chebby engineers learned a lot from their C5R project and there is little doubt a lot of that is incorporated in the new Z. Much like Porsche where racing improved the breed. The fact GM used a Porsche turbo as its target has resulted in the bar being raised. I think that gives the public better choices.

Jimmy
993 tt 3.8
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 AM
red993tt
Racer

The new Z06 are very fast out of the box. As of right now they are not as competitive against our GT3/2 cars due the lack of Rcompound tires availability and the owners are relatively still very new to their cars. Things may change toward the next couple months for sure so don't underestimate these cars.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
tlark
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
That's kinda how I felt about the first gen PCCB's
Agreed, but you did have an option w/o PCCB's. Its not my intent to dis this car I am just noting another owners dismay in that system. All things being equal the C6 is a good car and I respect its ability. This other owner found it poor engineering with that system given and I too was surprises with the imput of Pratt & Miller and the miles put out on there test mules.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 PM
robsc
Intermediate

This is for the last post by (Tom Larkins), are you saying you think the breaks are low quality and not up to the task of track events? These brakes are very good I know because i track mine(C6 Z06). All they need are different pads (track pads) and Motul dot 4 fluid and you are set. Of course stock pads aren’t going to last long and neither is the break fluid if you stomp on the breaks hard coming into each corner. Now im not saying there better than Stoptechs, but there one hell of a OEM setup. No low quality to them.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:34 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim H.
I was at Mid-Ohio with my stock GT3 and running with C6 Z06s. Two were no contest as the owners were driving them well below the car's capability. One did slowly eat it's way toward me as I was lapping on my street tires. It did catch me (not real quick though) and when I went to move over and let it pass it pulled in behind me and fell back. Turns out it lost it's oil pressure right then and had to pull off the track and shut her down. I talked with the drivers afterward and found out the car had a full coil over treatment, different brakes, and Hoosiers. It was definitely quicker BUT they said they had been trying to catch me all weekend so they could have someone to "play with"...so it wasn't like they were lapping everyone in the group at will.

I came away very impressed with my stock GT3. It was my first time at Mid-Ohio in a rear engined porsche and only my 5th track day in the GT3. I was doing 1:44s on a stopwatch and with R compound rubber and RS-19 brakes, I feel I would have been another 2-3 (4?) seconds faster. My goal is to get into the mid-high 1:30s over time and call it mission accomplished. My sense was that with equivalent rubber, and a stock setup on both cars, they would be very equivalent on a track like Mid-Ohio.

Hope that synopsis helped.

Cheers.
Jim:
I ran against a Black/Black C6 ZO6 last weekend at RoadAtlanta. He said he had just been up to Mid-Ohio. I bet he was the guy you ran against. His name was Ed Lewis. The ZO6 was trailered in on Cmpd. tires. He was not a very good driver. I started behind him twice, passed him on the first lap, and out-dragged him on the back straight.
I run a 500HP TT on street tires.

Quick Reply: Have you been at the track with a well driven C6 Z06?