Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you been at the track with a well driven C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:45 PM
GT2RS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
Too many variables to compare, but according to Porsche Motorsports Eric Bloss, its only the 3.8 Daytona prototypes that are in the 500 hp range.
Now they have proven too fast and will incure a 75 lb penalty.

Porsche needs to homologate the 3.8 in a road car to stay in the hunt in Grand AM and the rumors are a GT3 RS will be here soon with a 3.8.

The POC record for a GT3 in NI is 1:32 on "R" tires at Willow Springs. Zo6's are running 1:32's on stock run flats. I think the "R" are good for at least 2 seconds. BTW, these are with good club drivers. Nothing is ever equal in motorsports.

Jimmy
993tt 3.8
Not true. The FIA spec RSR runs twin 30.8mm air restrictors which reduces output to only 445hp. I can tell you that if you take these restrictors out, it can easily get to 500hp. The ACO spec RSR also runs similar restrictors as well. This is information per my friends who race in ALMS, i.e. Petersen White Lightning.

I also know that on a private track day at big Willow, Cort Wagner ran a 1:30 in a GT3 with Cups and a 1:28 in a GT2 with R tires. Of course he is better than the typical club racer, but it still shows the amazing capabilities of our underpowered 911's
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

RXDOC,

Sounds familiar. The guy was pleasant and was with a woman who appeared to drive the car fairly well herself. I only saw him once on track and he (she) broke on the back straight as I was about to let them by. Talking with them in the pits revealed that they had another Z06 that also broke that weekend. Bummer.

The Z06 has many great qualities no doubt, but I'm not so sure the stock brakes, suspension, transmission etc. are as race developed as the corresponding pieces on a GT3.

They're different cars at different price points so I don't get to wrapped up comparing them. My GT3 provides a fantastic experience on the track and is by no means slow. If Z06 owners feel the same way then more power to them...well, then again maybe 500hp is enough power ;-)
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT2RS
Not true. The FIA spec RSR runs twin 30.8mm air restrictors which reduces output to only 445hp. I can tell you that if you take these restrictors out, it can easily get to 500hp. The ACO spec RSR also runs similar restrictors as well. This is information per my friends who race in ALMS, i.e. Petersen White Lightning.

I also know that on a private track day at big Willow, Cort Wagner ran a 1:30 in a GT3 with Cups and a 1:28 in a GT2 with R tires. Of course he is better than the typical club racer, but it still shows the amazing capabilities of our underpowered 911's
What is not true? I posted verifiable information from a direct source at Porsche Motorsports who happens to build the motors and dyno's them for all the race teams. I'll be at PMS this week and I'll reconfirm. Most teams don't dyno their motors, they get them from PMS complete. Not likely the 3.6's are pulling over 500 hp without restirictors. Has Uwe Bettle put together a one off killer motor for one of the teams. No way. That would kill the customer program if he did. The 3.8 sprint motors are over 500 hp. but these are used in the DP chassis.

Cort Wagner is a pro driver. He ran a 1:27 in my car with me as a passenger and we had it on multiple watches. So. I would have no debate on Corts skills. The point of this thread is how does a well driven Z06 stack up. If you read the Vett boards, the majority tend to favor drag racing. Those that do come out are vastly outnumbered by Porsches on any given track day.
The Porsche contingent are more hard core sports car racers than the Vett guys, but I'm sure someone will chime in to the contrary. GM has given the public a weapon with the Zo6. As the Vett enthusists discover how potent that car is on a circuit, you will see more cabable drivers. I don't want to get into magazine racing with numbers, as its clear the ZO6 has the advantage, just look at its time at the Nurbergring. Porsche will not let this stand for very long as the GT3rs will be out soon. BTW, what would Cort turn is a zo6?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts

RX Doc's experience is the same as I saw with my own eyes with Silvers PSI 480 car vs the C6 ZO6. And everyone said it was impossible. A modded TT will run with the Z neck and neck or a little faster or slower depending on the day. I have run with Doc at the track. His car is FAST....And I have run with silver on the street, his car is FAST.....

The new GT3s will be toasting these Z's when they arive.

There is no SUBSTITUTE
Old 05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rolo
RX Doc's experience is the same as I saw with my own eyes with Silvers PSI 480 car vs the C6 ZO6. And everyone said it was impossible. A modded TT will run with the Z neck and neck or a little faster or slower depending on the day. I have run with Doc at the track. His car is FAST....And I have run with silver on the street, his car is FAST.....

There is no SUBSTITUTE
I think that the only valid comparison is stock to stock. You go down the mod road and the Z06 can find another 50-75HP in NA format for about 5K. About the same as light modes on a TT. How do they compare out of the box?

While I will buy a 997 GT3 when they are available, I think "toasting" is a bit optimistic. i was in a C6 Z06 on the track yesterday and it is a damn competent car. the guys car I was in said there is a new/special version that will have on the order of 600HP from the factory. The guy has one of the largest CAN AM collections anywhere and is very connected to Chevy. I assume he knows.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:23 AM
GT2RS
AutoX

Originally Posted by JJayB
What is not true?

BTW, what would Cort turn is a zo6?
OK, then how much power do you think an RSR motor puts out without restrictors? We know that with two little straws it makes 445hp... so how much do the restrictors take away from it? Have you asked your friend Uwe about this?

Cort would probably pull about 1:30 in a Z06 if I had to take a wild guess. It's inferior handling in the corners would be compensated by its sheer straightline power. This is what happened on the Ring and likely what would happen at big Willow.

Z06 is a potent weapon for many people, assuming it stays put together. Personally, I still believe GT2 is the better track car. The modified ones (i.e. Alzen or Manthey 996 Turbo or even EDO Competition) could probably outrun the C6-Rs.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:58 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

stock for stock it would be hard for a GT3 to beat a Z06 given equal drivers. SCCA will not allow the new Z06 to run T1 because it is simply too fast. The GT3 has a tough time in T1(although GM is favored in T1). I am hoping to set up a 996 GT3 for T1 and B class in PCA so I like the overall feel of the GT3 much better(have not driven the new Z06, driven several C5s). I think you get an overall package with the GT3, which I can not say the same for with GM(I have a GM vehicle, so I am not against them). I plan on tracking the car quite a bit and really do not trust GMs build quality. When I saw the roof flew off the new Z06 at 60mph it reiterated in my mind why I am willing to give up some speed for the total package.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I think that the only valid comparison is stock to stock. You go down the mod road and the Z06 can find another 50-75HP in NA format for about 5K. About the same as light modes on a TT. How do they compare out of the box?

While I will buy a 997 GT3 when they are available, I think "toasting" is a bit optimistic. i was in a C6 Z06 on the track yesterday and it is a damn competent car. the guys car I was in said there is a new/special version that will have on the order of 600HP from the factory. The guy has one of the largest CAN AM collections anywhere and is very connected to Chevy. I assume he knows.
Yes, the C6 ZO6 is an incredible car. It has to be the bargain sports car of the decade! But, it is unfair to compare a new ZO6 to a 6 year old 996TT. It should compare well with a 997TT or 997 GT3.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rolo

There is no SUBSTITUTE
Rolo:

Looks like you, Silver and I are going to the June DE at RA. Look forward to it, too bad all of us are in different run groups.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Rolo:

Looks like you, Silver and I are going to the June DE at RA. Look forward to it, too bad all of us are in different run groups.

I am going see if they'll bump me up. Hopefully that will happen and we'll have some fun
Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

A guy just had a new Z06 at the Glen for the Chin event. Unfortunately he put it in the wall on the very first lap of the event. I'm not sure I've ever seen a well driven vette at the track. If someone decent showed up, they would certainly be fast. With that much power, the Z06 is probably a 2:04 car at the Glen with just Hoosiers.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
A guy just had a new Z06 at the Glen for the Chin event. Unfortunately he put it in the wall on the very first lap of the event. I'm not sure I've ever seen a well driven vette at the track. If someone decent showed up, they would certainly be fast. With that much power, the Z06 is probably a 2:04 car at the Glen with just Hoosiers.
I think that's not going to be the last one.

Numb car + Dumb driver = Armco

Quick Reply: Have you been at the track with a well driven C6 Z06?