Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find best prices on helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Where to find best prices on helmets?

I have a DE in June and just found out my Snell 95 helmet is no longer acceptable. I need a new one and would like another Bell M2 full face with shield (or something comparable). I would like to spend less than $300. Any suggestions where to look?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just do a google on the Bell Helmet and you will find plenty of Snell 2000's for sale real cheap...they are good through 2007 I think...you might want to spend a few more bucks and get a Snell 2005 if you are going to track more often...have a great time at your DE...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I would go for the most current Snell Foundation rating (2005) unless you are going to use it so much you will wear it out before it becomes outdated. Bargains, I think the profit margin is pretty tight on the Bell brand for current Snell and I have never run across any deals.

www.racerwholesale.com Bell M2 or Sport 3 full face (SA 2005) $319

Predator Race Products has listing on ebay Bell M2 (SA2005) $295 plus shipping

As GT3 Chuck said there are deals on Snell 2000's.

Last edited by enthusiast; 05-08-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Moogle
Race Car

How does one figure out helmet size online short of continuously ordering and returning.

There aren't any dealers in my area so its difficult to find a place to try one on.a
Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.speedwaremotorsports.com
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Most major brands have sizing charts in catalog / on their website. It is often best to have the vendor ship you two or three sizes of the same helmet model, try them on, and ship the non suitable ones back.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Most major brands have sizing charts in catalog / on their website. It is often best to have the vendor ship you two or three sizes of the same helmet model, try them on, and ship the non suitable ones back.
I'm looking at the arai GP5 - didn't know that vendors did that - excellent.

Arai's website... leaves something to be desired.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
How does one figure out helmet size online short of continuously ordering and returning.

There aren't any dealers in my area so its difficult to find a place to try one on.a
You ABSOLUTELY have to try the helmet on before buying. It's obvious that they come in different sizes, but my experience was that the different manufacturers make them with unique shapes. So, two of the same sized helmets of different brands will fit completely differently. So much so, that one may fit like a glove and the other may feel like a vice on your mellon.

If there's no motorsports shop near you, go to a big motorcycle dealer and try on a number of their different helmets. You'll know what's right for you fairly quickly. If you're doing DE's, I think a lot of the clubs will take M or SA rated helmets (double check on this).
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Moogle
Race Car

events im doing require snell 2000

great idea on the motorcycle dealer - i will try out their arai helmets and figure out the sizes , then find an online retailer that will ship me that size and one bigger/one smaller.

A professional motorcycle rider lives down the road from me, he should be able to tell me if the helmet is fitting properly
Old 05-09-2006, 12:48 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Tom, you will know when it fits...it will be snug (evenly) and move directly with your head (up,down, side to side), without any slippage or additional pressure anywhere on your head...if it moves when you don't move your head or doesn't move when you do it's too big...if it hurts...well, you can figure that one...are you back from HK?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Yep I'm back for the summer in manhattan/lower Connecticut

I had some experience fitting a motorcycle helmet when I was at HoWun Ducati HK - those guys are HARDCORE !!! smoking inside, next to all sorts of flammable stuff, theres always a few motorcycles with straightpipes revving inside the building. true motorheads.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

hanging out with hardcore motorheads can get you married to Sandra Bullock...Arai makes great helmets...have fun shopping..
Old 05-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
events im doing require snell 2000
There are different Snell rating categories, SA for auto helmets, M for motorcycle, etc. If memory serves correct, most clubs will take SA or M 2000 since they are very similar.

http://www.smf.org/stds.html
Old 05-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
You ABSOLUTELY have to try the helmet on before buying. It's obvious that they come in different sizes, but my experience was that the different manufacturers make them with unique shapes. So, two of the same sized helmets of different brands will fit completely differently. So much so, that one may fit like a glove and the other may feel like a vice on your mellon..
Well said!

Additionally, you'll want the areas on the sides of your cheeks and jaw to be tighter than you might think is right, this is where the greatest amount of soft padding is, it'll wear-in and become more comfortable.

People such as myself have most trouble finding a helmet that is longitudinally long enough to not crunch ones forehead. In bike terms this is called the "Shoei" head, as Shoeis are most comfortable for this scenario, and also impossible to get in SA these days.

Often motorcycle dealers will have really good sales.

Buying safety gear online or for the best price can be risky (mostly with seats, harnesses and helmets). The risk is mostly from aged products, repaired products or returns.

Try to buy from a vendor you already know or by referral. It's not unusual for retailers to not offer returns on helmets (liability), so of course best to know what you want before you buy.

...just my buck o'two

Austin
Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Do you guys use a full face helmet for autocross or not?

Quick Reply: Where to find best prices on helmets?