Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fabspeed GT3 Intake Kit - FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fabspeed GT3 Intake Kit - FINALLY!

INSTOCK!

$579 or $695 with BMC filter SHIPPED.

GT3 cars gain +10.6 HP & 7.5 FtLbs Torque. Fits all GT3 cars worldwide from 1999 ROW to 2004/2005 USA and European models

1) Allows unobstructed airflow to the engine for a MAXIMUM POWER!
2) More airflow than any other system available anywhere in the world.
3) COLD AIR is force feed to the engine's airfilter by the stock FAN and snorkel. See the photo above as the FAN blows cold air directly onto the airfilter and the intake snorkel dumps cold air directly to the filter.
4) Easy to install and saves weight. CNC air craft machined with T304SS drip edge.
5) Retains stock MASS AIRFLOW sensor plastic grate and location for maximum power and no Check Engine Light.
6) More sports car sound and CUP car sound!
7) Reuse either stock OEM paper airfilter or use a K&N and or BMC F1 airfilter.
8) Easy to install and complies with emissions and factory Porsche warranty. Saves weight and looks cool and is the best and most productive upgrade for the GT3.

LINK TO DYNO CHART http://www.fabspeed.com/Gt3%20Airbox...o%20Result.jpg
Old 05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

At what rpm does the the 10 hp gain come into play. It looks like the dyno shows a hp gain at 5000 rpm to about 7400 rpm. Is that in every gear?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you show it with the other filter? What about in the rain?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

The 1st photo show the factory OEM paper GT3 airfilter on the silver Gt3. The 2nd photo with the yellow GT3 shows a BMC F1 aifilter in the MAXFLO CUP air intake system.

The Speed Yellow GT3 showed up the the used BMC F1 airfilter. After baseline runs the only change was the installation of the CUP airintake system and the GT3 picked up
+10.6 HP & 7.5 FtLbs Torque. Fabsped system fits all GT3 cars worldwide from 1999 ROW to 2004/2005 USA and European models. We will post a dyno video up on the web soon. The gains were significant and repetable on the Dyna pack. Rafel Llopiz my customer Gt3 just cranks by bone stock GT3 cars at the track with Fabspeed Motorsport catbypass pipes, Maxflo muffler with tips, BMC F1 airfilter.........and now he added another 10+HP. Stock GT3 engine & transmission with mnay race miles.

Have a great day
Joe Fabiani
Fabspeed
www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com
215-646-4945 (9828fax)
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like this new intake does away with the sealed air box.
How can this make more power if at least some of the air being sucked into the motor is "warm" air that is in and around the engine bay?

Please explain.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I too would be interested to know how it is "cool" air going trough.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
It looks like this new intake does away with the sealed air box.
How can this make more power if at least some of the air being sucked into the motor is "warm" air that is in and around the engine bay?

Please explain.
Agreed. Also, when you dyno the car, it is typically done with the "hood" open. Thus, it aint sucking too much warm air. I also cannot see how that open style will produce "REAL WORLD" HP. With the lid closed, all I can guess is that lots of hot air would make its way into the intake tract. Then again, I am no engineer so who knows. Maybe some intake air temps would be an interesting experiement! Go drive around with the stock airbox at XX degrees ambient, then do the same with the FS kit. THAT would be interesting to see. It is possible that there is enough air coming down to feed the motor with ambient air and also wash away the hot underhood air. It just does not seem like there would be though. Only tests will tell......who wants to be the guinea pig?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my opinion,

The vents on the stock deck lid will always move cold air into the MaxFlo intake.

The hot air from the engine compartment flows underneath the car, it's such a bad design (increases rear lift). The 997 GT3 (a.k.a 997 SS for Super Sport or Super Soft) uses vents on the rear bumper cover to help cool down the engine heads, the obstruction on the mufflers was eliminated by going with an one piece center muffler. There is not enough room to move out the hot air from the engine, and these engines generates much more heat that the wet-sumpers, I've measured 50 degrees difference between my engine compartment temperature after a track session compared to an intensive driven 996 3.4 on the same track session.

The only downside I see on FabSpeed design is the loss of the pressurized airbox. These cars make more power with higher speeds, the RS air scoop makes it even better, that power increase will be gone and it will be difficult to simulate on a dyno. However, that power increase is effective at very high speeds, a few Hp over triple digit speeds.

If you want to see if it works for your car on your driving conditions, remove the cover from the airbox, seal the air filter edges with duct tape to hold it to the airbox, and drive.

I think this upgrade will work for autocross, street driving and most of the tracks. On the few track where this car expends most of the time on triple digit speeds, the stock airbox combined with the air scoop might be better.

If this could be used on the street car, it would be great, but it can't.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by vividracing
3) COLD AIR is force feed to the engine's airfilter by the stock FAN and snorkel. See the photo above as the FAN blows cold air directly onto the airfilter and the intake snorkel dumps cold air directly to the filter.
That's BS, the fan works the opposite way, by expelling air out from the engine bay.

German tuners have been cutting additional rectangular openings on the left side and in the middle of the airbox cover on turbos and GT3's for years. Free of charge for the handy!

Ciao,
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Johannes - I have inspected my decklid fan when it is running. It definately SUCKS in air. It is NOT expelling air from the lid. Tim
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If you want to see if it works for your car on your driving conditions, remove the cover from the airbox, seal the air filter edges with duct tape to hold it to the airbox, and drive.
THAT is a damn good idea. I think I will try it.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Tim,

My bad.

Anyhow I doubt that the mickey mouse fan on the engine lid would assist in providing much fresh cool air and it only comes on when the engine is very hot. I would have thought that more cool air would be fed by the louvres on the engine lid when the car is in motion. I'm cutting by airbox cover a la Manthey as per my picture above if anything at all.

Ciao,
Old 05-04-2006, 03:05 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i like the germans idea
Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The german's idea is good if it is sealed, but without a new deck lid you still have one hole sucking in cold air from outside and the other 2 sucking somewhat warmer air from the engine bay area.

I understand that more air is good, but shouldn't it be mostly "fresh".
Old 05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Originally Posted by RR
The german's idea is good if it is sealed, but without a new deck lid you still have one hole sucking in cold air from outside and the other 2 sucking somewhat warmer air from the engine bay area.

I understand that more air is good, but shouldn't it be mostly "fresh".
From the pic it is difficult to see clearly but it looks like the airbox has been bypassed???..... What are the rubber pipes on view??

As for the above comment the stock lid has the air intake hole sealed with a foam gasket. I am tempted to have a go at cutting or drilling the decklid with holes ( be better to cut a number of circles as large rectangular holes may affect rigidity too much) to match those shown in the pic in the airbox, then gasketting the holes with a closed cell foam. That would eliminate hot air in the intake. Sounds so easy why hasn't it been done?

Hmmm... perhaps I should patent that idea....

Quick Reply: New Fabspeed GT3 Intake Kit - FINALLY!