Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
What is the best tranny fluid?
Mobil 1 SHC 75W-90 is the latest flavor of the month (PMNA recommended : part #999.917.062.00) but unfortunately almost nobody in North America stocks it so you have to special order it and a gallon ends up costing $50USD with shipping.

(the bottle on the right is regular Mobil 1 gear-lube)

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 05-02-2006 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

It's not that easy to find, but Mobilube SHC 75W-90 is, according to the Mobil 1 web site HERE, now DISCONTINUED - The recommended replacement product is Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90, 80W-140. What the site goes on to say is: "Mobilube SHC 75W-90 and 80W-140 are fully synthetic drivetrain lubricants engineered to meet the most demanding extended drain and OEM warranty requirements. These products are designed for use in heavy duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected The state-of-the-art technology in Mobilube SHC 75W-90 and 80W-140 delivers unequalled performance for low and high temperature applications, including outstanding oxidation stability, wear protection, corrosion resistance, improved shear stability, extended service capability, and excellent fuel economy.

"These products meet API MT-1/GL-5 EP gear oil service classifications and are MIL-PRF-2105E quality level. The outstanding performance of these products is confirmed by their approvals for use in axles covered by Eaton Roadranger (E500TM) and ArvinMeritor Extended Warranties of 750,000 miles, with extended oil drains of 500,000 miles. They are also approved by Mack against GO-J Plus (75W-90) and GO-J (80W-140) extended service classifications."

I found a data sheet for the product that replaced Mobilube SHC 75W-90 HERE. I note that it is intended for heavy truck use and says nothing about use in cars or with limited slip differentials. That may be significant in that there is at least one truck enthusiast who says to NOT use commercial synthetic gear lubes that are meant for extended warranty and extended drain use in ANY limited slip axle. He says the clutch plates will slip and glaze. You can read his message in the thread HERE .

Based on what I have Googled this morning, it looks as though the non-commercial product is better suited to our GT3s with LSDs. You can see the specs HERE , and note that Mobil says: Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS is a supreme performance, synthetic, multi-purpose, SAE 75W-90 automotive gear lubricant designed to meet the highest level performance requirements of modern passenger vehicles in all types of operating conditions including limited slip applications, as well as, deliver outstanding power transfer performance."

I wonder if this product also has a PMNA part number and application recommendation for our cars? Where does one find that information?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Tim - Do you work for the Porsche dealer in Sacremento?
Hell no. I wish I did, then I wouldn't have to worry about the little warranty technicalities!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my independent Porsche tech yesterday to order the LWF. He was very much against installing the parts, citing the decrease in drivability and stalling problems. I know these statements are opinions, but this guy has impecable credentials and considerable racing experience. He further said if the car was tracked he would add the LWF, but for street usage he would not recommend it.
Now I am confused. I really don't need the part considering the way I drive, but I thought it would be a nice mod. He thought the crankcase vent from EVO was a good addition.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I can only speak for myself, but I have had NO street issues with the LWF and it is very noticeable in every day driving, and fantastic on the track. Would I install the LWF if I never went to the track? Probably not, but the GT3 is meant for the track, even though it is not a race car. When my daughter mentioned to one of her sixth grade classmates that I had finally decided on the GT3, he told her that he hoped I would take it on the track. (I guess that's why tuition at her school is so high.)
Old 05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Larry I'm sorry but I will say that your shop does not know what they are talking about. How many of these has he done? Does he even know what parts are in them? Doubtful. This is a great remnant from installing these LWFs back in the Carrera days. Anyone that has even done any of this work on a newer (last 10 years) car knows that there is no stalling issues at all. None. To say that shows that he is not up with the times as it is totally untrue. Drivability is increased dramatically (we wont even talk about the fun factor). The ONLY change that you will notice is that you have to give the car a touch more gas to engage the clutch. That's it. And that is not bad, it is just a little different than what you are already used to.

Sorry I just had to vent a little as I see and talk to many well respected, established, credentialed, race oriented shops all the time that are just not up on the current state of Porsche technology. That or they do pure race cars and they have little knowledge for the basic street / performance market.

Last edited by viperbob; 05-02-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry, Do not listen to the guy. the stalling issue was with earlier cars that will hunt at idel. find a performance shop that knows the GT3. You want to make sure the guy does not forget any of the parts. Someone from LA place help this guy. Macfly>>>>>>>>>>>>> where are you
Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LWF is a no brainer, especially if your in for a free rms seal repair...There is no difference in skill required for drivability on the street. Whoever says it's tough to drive...either has a poorly installed adjusted setup or are just not very skilled with a standard shift car. They have tip's for those people...albeit, not on a GT3...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Hell no. I wish I did, then I wouldn't have to worry about the little warranty technicalities!
Tim, let me know when the time comes I'll call Don F. at Niello for you and talk to him about it and why/how it should not disrupt the warranty. I'm of course ASSuming that's your local dealer.

Austin
Old 05-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I have read nothing but good vibes about the LWF and intend to order it anyway. Funny thing...I asked him about the Europipe and he didn't know what it was. He did suggest the Fabspeed cat bypasses, saying they will give me 12 hp. In some ways, although I have a lot of education, I think I'm stupid. Perhaps ignorant is a better word. My Porsche salesman tells me the LWF is a very good mod, and then proceeded to tell me the interworkings of the single mass versus the dual mass factory unit. This man has studied the Porsche evolution for years and is a valuable source of historical data. I wish my rich Porsche tech was as knowledgeable.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rolo
Damn......here I go again.......Where is the best place to buy the parts......my sons can work their way thought college
And they will be better off for it! Someday they will be able to say "hey, our dad was really cool - he even had a LWF in his GT3!"
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I think I'm having a lack of communications problem with my Porsche tech! I went over what we are planning to do on my GT3, and in conversation I asked him again if he liked the idea of a crankcase vent. (From what I have read on previous posts the vent is around $50.00 plus installation)
He says they are $178.00 EACH, that I need two, and that they will not leak as "the factory Porsche ones are made of plastic, and his are made of brass" Because he was busy with another ringing phone I didn't have the time to pursue my questioning.
Is he talking about diverter valves?? Or what ??
My local Porsche store is very passive and is reluctant to add anything to an existing car. There aren't many indy shops in my area. Arling isn't too far but I hate the idea of driving and then leaving my car overnight.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes it does sound like he is discussing divertor valves. Just don't let him sell you on the idea that you need to modify your wastegates. Oh and yes the vents are about $50....

Find a new shop would be my recommendation.....

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I think I'm having a lack of communications problem with my Porsche tech! I went over what we are planning to do on my GT3, and in conversation I asked him again if he liked the idea of a crankcase vent. (From what I have read on previous posts the vent is around $50.00 plus installation)
He says they are $178.00 EACH, that I need two, and that they will not leak as "the factory Porsche ones are made of plastic, and his are made of brass" Because he was busy with another ringing phone I didn't have the time to pursue my questioning.
Is he talking about diverter valves?? Or what ??
My local Porsche store is very passive and is reluctant to add anything to an existing car. There aren't many indy shops in my area. Arling isn't too far but I hate the idea of driving and then leaving my car overnight.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Thanks Viper Bob, and all those who offered their coments/suggestions. I think I do need to look around. I've used this shop for 20 years, but I guess people and places change
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a LWFW in my Boxster S and it is the single best modification I've made to that car. It will be one of the first things I do to my "new" GT3, which feels like its got a boat anchor on the end of the crankshaft when I blip the throttle. Sure it makes a bit of noise, but this isn't exactly a quiet car to begin with. GO FOR IT!

Andy

Quick Reply: LWF in a GT3