Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWF in a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:30 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the post.. I did not do the math.. this is from Cupcar..

I did the LWF installation virtual weight and horsepower savings for a GT3 using the equation in the link I gave above.
Values used:
Tire diameter= 335mm
Flywheel diameter=282 mm
Flywheel weight difference= 15.4 pounds
Gears 1 to 6 = 3.82/2.15/1.52/1.21/1.0/.85
R&P= 3.44
Weight to HP= 8.8 pounds per horsepower

Results:
Virtual weight saved in pounds per gear 1 to 6= 277/98/57/42/33/28
Virtual HP gained per gear 1 to 6= 31.4/11.1/6.5/4.7/3.8/3.2
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Shenandoah is a tight track fo rthe most part, but those numbers are certainly consistent with my experience. Next is Pocono (including a piece of the NASCAR bowl), and then Watkins Glen, so I will get some further experience. It's really like a new car, and a LOT of fun. Makes me consider installing a LWF on my Ducati, too!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great Chris. I knew you would have a fun time with the LWF setup. Glad that you were paying attention to the tach as the revs do happen much faster.. See Chris, even a dealer can install a LWF, with a little help
Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

It's a good dealer that accepts, and an even better one that seeks, advice. The service looks good so far!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Well said Chris. I was happy that when they had any even little question, they called to make sure they were doing it properly.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

How loud is the rattling. Is it really annoying? I only street the car, I would love to do the mod but the difference in acceleration would have to be noticable if the the noise is very loud.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

At idle in neutral there is a bit of rattling, less than what I would call clatter. One can hear it even without listening for it. When the clutch is depressed the noise stops. From stationary into second gear under load there is a bit of a whine. As Bob notes, different oil may eliminate these noises. Compared to the squeaking of the front springs rotating in their mounts on low-speed, tight turns or the creaking of the suspension as it awakens from a nap, the noises from the LWF change are more audible. Compared to my front floating rotors, which at every expansion joint sound as though a wheel fell off, or the muffler bypass pipes which drown out the Harley passing by (well, not quite, but they are pretty darn loud), the LWF is a nothing. The car is a GT3 without insulation and undercoating. I LIKE the noises it makes.

The difference in low speed acceleration (2-3, for example) is amazing, especially on the track but very noticeable on the street. I have had no issues with stops on modest hills and then getting underway again.

(If you want to try the muffler bypass pipes for cheap, there is a thread HERE. )
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in Seattle the hills are very steep and I have had zero issues. 911.... if the GT3 is already borderline for your senses the LWFW will not help... go with the 997 GT3 or Turbo---
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a mod I have been considering for a while. I am still on the fence. I have had LWFW's in other cars, and they were noisy. But the performance difference was worth it.

I do have a question.....

Correct me if I am wrong on any point please...

The "required" oil for the tranny/gearbox is the "Swepco oil used in the GT2". This crap is $$$.

If one were to run Mobil 1 in the box, would this void/alter the warranty on the gearbox?

I want to do the LWFW, but I don't want to give the dealer a reason to void out any portion of my warranty.

I do not have my manual handy, so i don't know the spec of the gearbox oil. Is there a specific spec for it (ie: GL-5). If so, I guess it is possible that the Mobil 1 could meet it. Comments?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Tim - The Mobil1 you get at the local autoparts store is fine. I have some customers in the Bay Area with the LWF setup if you are around sometime maybe I could arrange for you to meet someone for a test drive. I am also going to be out there in a couple of weeks and might be doing a LWF or two in some GT3s (are you listening Alvin???) You are welcome to check it out if you are in the area. Do you work for the Porsche dealer in Sacremento?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
racing97
Banned

It is amazing when you drive with a LWF it gives you the sensation that far exceeds the math that quantifies such things. One benefit that dirvers in competition note is the reduced time it takes to complete shifts. I believe the reduced mass of the Flywheel allows the syncro to decellerate and engage with the next cog thusly reducing the dead time between gears, this also saves wear and tear on the syncros if I am not mistaken.

Best regards
Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the best tranny fluid?

The LWF does not make that much noise... In the corvettes it was insanely loud, this is not the case with the GT3.
If you were going to do the LWF you should do the regear as well, the cost is not that high at this point and the gains are large, the factory has it that you can change the gears easily, take advantage of this...it works. If you change the gears think about your needs at the local track...corner exit rpm as well as the end of the straight ..rpms/mph..needed.. and the mph in the end of each gear... as well as overall cruising rpm...that is if you drive it on the hyway.

At one of my tracks 3rd gear takes me to the end of the straight 99mph 8000, 4th will take me in the next straight 124 mph..8000 rpm... then cross check this with the corner exit rpms..this is how i figured out my gear ratios... check the GT3 Cup gearing and drops between shifts..as well as the stock car..... then look at what rpm they land at.. it should increase to a higher rpm with speed...more wind resistence....6500 rpm being the minimum.

I have my car from what i can remember.. when shifting, starting from 2 to 3rd (6900) ..most shifts land between 6600 to 6900.. the higher it lands at the quicker you will go... the first to second lands at 4500 rpm. There is a difference between 6600 and 6900.. a big difference.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
It's a good dealer that accepts, and an even better one that seeks, advice. The service looks good so far!
Chris, ....No LWF for me; stock is good enough for me but care to share the dealer name either here or via private msg? My current dealer is excellent but it is always good to know who else is good out there in the vicinity should the need arise (especially one good enough to consider advice by calling independent professionals as a later post seems to suggest).

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 640 Posts

Damn......here I go again.......Where is the best place to buy the parts......my sons can work their way thought college
Old 05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

There are a number of people who can get the LWF parts, but Bob Brooks seemed to me to have the highest level of customer service and knowledge of exactly what parts are needed and how to install them. Bob Brooks is also Viper Bob and VB Motorsports 650.743.6801.

I bought my car (and many other bits, such as GT3 seats) from Brandywine Porsche and have been very happy with their warranty work and customer service. Erik Haas drives with the Riesentöter PCA club and was service manager until recently; now he does performance parts at Brandywine. Eric Delahaye is now the service guy, and is very good to work with. I think my LWF might have been one of the first they have done on a GT3, but they talked with Bob Brooks to benefit from his experience.

I'm very happy with the work and the whole experience.

Last edited by Phokaioglaukos; 05-01-2006 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Add Bob's contact info

Quick Reply: LWF in a GT3