Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 - the Last of the Breed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I went through a few sets of them (tirerack @ $129 each ), from my experience tire life was surprisingly good. I used them for street driving between trackdays, and unless there was standing water or hard rain, they're fine for the street.

With the first set, I had some rear wear issues because my kinematic toe was off, chewed the insides very quickly. But once that was corrected I would say wear wasn't too bad, you could probably get 6000 miles on the street with RS spec alignment. Fronts last about 1.5x rears. They like negative camber especially in the front, the sidewalls are a little soft.

They chunk badly at full tread, recommend shaving! They don't have quite the grip of MPSCs or Victo's, but last longer and are very easy tire to drive, very progressive even when they get too hot.

I don't know what I'll use this summer when I do trackdays again, the DSSR were a great bargain but no longer available

OK, I might have to call B.S. on the 2:35 time if you are running stock suspension (limited negative camber), the DSSRs, and are still getting that kind of wear. Just about any tire driven hard on a stock suspension Porsche will not have enough negative camber and will wear out very quickly. I was killing DSSRs and MPSCs in ~2 days with my Turbo on stock suspension with max-possible negative camber.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 AM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, for what it is worth here is a relative newbie's point of view on PSM. I recently did Porsche Driving Experience and had Dave Donahue do a few hot laps with me in a stock 06 997 S. He was bumper to bumper for several laps with another instructor/passenger due in front of us. Needless to say, the ride was as close as I'll ever get to "racing" and Dave's skills are far in excess of any DE instructor I've ever ridden with. No offense meant. Point is, PSM never kicked in once. I never felt it and I asked him to confirm that it didn't kick in and he said it didn't. Since that ride, and I know he wasn't driving "100%" with a customer on board, I firmly believe that PSM will not slow the vast majority of us down at DE. Maybe a Donahue, Roehrl, Henzler, etc. are faster without. But not me and I venture to guess not most of the guys I do DE with. I love my 996 GT3 and not having the safety net does feel macho. And I do get a sense of satisfaction when I catch an impending slide, but net net, I'd prefer to have it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

My old 996 had TC and it sucked at the track when I forgot to turn it off. Clearly, I'm no pro, but I was slower with it on and it wasn't going to save my bacon if I made a mistake at speed. "Safety net"....not really.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:21 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people prefer to have electronic driving assistants. I don't like them for the simple reason that they're computer programs, and as any computer program, they need an input to provide an output, they can't anticipate what's ahead on the road.

The best driving aids are on the human senses, especially the common sense.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PK996C2
OK, for what it is worth here is a relative newbie's point of view on PSM. I recently did Porsche Driving Experience and had Dave Donahue do a few hot laps with me in a stock 06 997 S. He was bumper to bumper for several laps with another instructor/passenger due in front of us. Needless to say, the ride was as close as I'll ever get to "racing" and Dave's skills are far in excess of any DE instructor I've ever ridden with. No offense meant. Point is, PSM never kicked in once. I never felt it and I asked him to confirm that it didn't kick in and he said it didn't. Since that ride, and I know he wasn't driving "100%" with a customer on board, I firmly believe that PSM will not slow the vast majority of us down at DE. Maybe a Donahue, Roehrl, Henzler, etc. are faster without. But not me and I venture to guess not most of the guys I do DE with. I love my 996 GT3 and not having the safety net does feel macho. And I do get a sense of satisfaction when I catch an impending slide, but net net, I'd prefer to have it.
You have put your finger on a very good point. Good drivers pilot cars at much higher velocities and lower G-forces than bad drivers, whose irratic rtesponses lead to less flowing progress and greater transient G-forces.

This is a very good reason why drivers working towards inmroving their technique should leave PSM/ESP ON. When it cuts in, it is telling them that they have done something wrong. They know that next lap they will have to cope with that corner differently.

Note, I am not talking about racing, racing is a different situation, although I should point out, en pannant, that TC is desirable on a track car, look at F1 if you need convincing.
R+C
Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PK996C2
I may have been in the car in front of David Donahue with PK996c2, with Hurley Haywood driving our car. PSM didn't come on for him either, and it was not disabled. I don't have a problem with PSM on my 997S on the track, and I would be surprised if there is a problem with the GT3 when it arrives. Thats my $.02.

PDE
Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The 997 Gt3 does not have PSM. It has PASM which is an adjustable suspension. Silly acronyms are too similar and many confuse them.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I stand corrected. It has TC. But my thought remains. Wouldn't mind having TC on my 04.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 - the Last of the Breed