Sponsored by:

Uni-ball Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:16 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uni-ball Upgrade?

There have been several references made to "upgradeing the suspension uniball". Could someone explain the need to do this and what changes are actually made to this assembly to facilitate an improvement? Also any costs associated in doing this would be appreciated. TIA
Old 01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you. This can be a misleading topic.

I have Manthey Racing uniball strut tops on my car (a.k.a. Camber plates: $1000). I also have TRG monoball (uniball in Europe) strut mounts for the rear ($500).

Then you can change the suspension control arms, toe arms, kinetic arms (5 arms at each corner at the rear), by monoball units. The cost is between $3000 and $5000, depending on brands. This more expensive upgrade have the benefits of reducing the changes on dynamic camber and toe. I don't know if there is a similar upgrade for the front axle.

A full uniball/monoball setup for a street GT3 should be on the $6000+ for parts and probably over 12 hours for installation.

The teams racing on the Speed GT perform this upgrade to their GT3Cup. They also include the RSR uprights, and replace all the bushing for metal parts.

This suspension upgrades are not exclusive to the GT3 or GT3Cup, they can be done on the GT2, Turbo, Carrera 2, 4S, 993, Cayman, Boxster, etc.

Most of the enhancements on the GT3 suspension we mention here, apply to all the 996/986/997/987/Kman cars.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone told me the uniballs need to be replaced pretty frequently or it is a nightmare on the street from a sound standpoint. Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:06 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

That's not what I hear from Devek. I still have yet to install mine. Still the ice age up here, but I understand that doing the toe arms and rear uniballs gives you the best bang for the buck on your suspension and it will stay aligned(toe) in the rear much longer...$1,700 excld. labor. Obviously tightens up the rear *** end handling. I'm excited about it.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

It would seem to me that noise would be a prime concern when considering the change from the OE configuration. Based on their location and proximity to loads of vibration, a lac of vibration damping would yield an unacceptable level of noise for any normal, whatever that is, road car. I have no feedback to substantiate this but it just stands to reason.

It would be informative to hear from members that have first hand or ear knowledge regarding the impact of a change of this type.

My experience with cars (non P cars) that I've "tightened the suspension" on resulted in an outstanding track car but one best left on the trailer, otherwise.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Someone told me the uniballs need to be replaced pretty frequently or it is a nightmare on the street from a sound standpoint. Thoughts?
unless i am super brutal on my car, i speak from experience, that when new monoball is SMOOTH and dead quiet on track or on street. after about one year of pounding, they get pretty noisy. it is tolerable on the streets, but by no means enjoyable.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Street driving for this GT3 is no longer a priority. It's f-ing boring and risks my license to much in this car...if the ***** are noisy, so be it. It will be great for those track days...
Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

stop wasting your money and practice driving the goddamn car. when you have the car at its max performance on OE suspension then move up. why not just buy an F1 car so you can pass everyone and feel fast
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Street driving for this GT3 is no longer a priority. It's f-ing boring and risks my license to much in this car..

noblegt3, i do agree with you. fo 99% of us (me inc. learned the hard way ;-), that oem suspension is WAY WAY more suspension than i am a driver. maybe give me another 100k track miles, i will upgrade to better suspension.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
stop wasting your money and practice driving the goddamn car. when you have the car at its max performance on OE suspension then move up. why not just buy an F1 car so you can pass everyone and feel fast
Wow, he even asked nicely..
Old 01-11-2006, 11:15 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Hey, happy new year to you too f-head!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by rockitman
Hey, happy new year to you too f-head!!!
keep modifing that car for the what 2 track days you have ever done in your life?? we went down this road before and you got shut down...so why not give up while you are being lapped....on and off track...your car looks like a christmas nightmare by the way...stone chips wont make you slower ,i promise!!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

keep modifing that car for the what 2 track days you have ever done in your life?? we went down this road before and you got shut down...so why not give up while you are being lapped....on and off track...your car looks like a christmas nightmare by the way...stone chips wont make you slower ,i promise!!
ohhh, your so fast...geeze, I haven't seen the great racer "Noble Prickhead" on speed tv. Guess you ain't fast enough...LOL
Stick to your own business Noble. Remember, ******** always finish last....and are masters of none !
Old 01-12-2006, 05:07 PM
DCLee
Pro

Uhmnn... On a slightly more constructive note...

I have done the full monoball thing on my GT3 RS Evo project, and I have to tell you: The suspension, with JRZ doubles, is not real noisy; it will be fine for a hard-core track-street car (mine has a full Cup suspension) but a bit much for some folks.

Lee in D.C.

Cayman RS Evo???
Old 01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLee

Cayman RS Evo???
Weren't we supposed to break your legs to stop you from doing this?

Quick Reply: Uni-ball Upgrade?