Sponsored by:

Oil leak and "clicking" noise from rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Oil leak and "clicking" noise from rear wheel

I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor of my garage about where the front of the engine (rear of car) is on my GT3. the car has about 11,000 miles and is a 2005 model, about a year from delivery. I took to the dealer a while ago and the technician took it for a test drive during which he heard a "clicking" noise from the rear wheel on a tight turn. They asked me to leave the car.

Today I heard that I can pick the car up. The oil leak was traced to a "crankshaft pulley" and has been repaired. The clicking noise is a mystery to them. (I have to admit that I have not heard it, but when I pick the car up I'll ask the technician to ride with me and point it out to me.) They think the noise might be typical of GT3s, and they don't have another one around to compare.

As you know, there are a number of noises unique to the GT3, and I love them all. The prominent engine noise, the rubbing of the front tires on the inside fenderwells on tight turns, the cries of the front springs as they rotate in their perches, the squealing of the RS-19 pads on the street and the clanging of the floating front brake discs over highway expansion joints and rough roads. I'll have to listen well to hear the clicking the technician heard.

Any suggestions about what to ask about the oil leak or the clicking when I collect the car?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 603 Posts

I assume you dont track the car. so for now lets rule out wheel bearing, besides this car is so loud that for you to just hear the begining of the wheel bearing going bad, is almost impossiable.

So lets look at other things. I say RR the rear pad and caliper and see what happens.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

24 track days this year, but it's just my first year. The service manager at my dealer is also in my PCA club.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front main seal oil leaks do occur. Apparently, the seal is somewhat exposed to dust and dirt blowing through the engine compartment. For example, if you spin off the track and raise a big cloud of dirt , the chance for a leak increases.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

It was muddy the day I spun off the track, so no cloud of dust.

Are you guys following me around, or do I just post too much here?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Clicking sound on tight turns from the rear wheels?

When my car broke the diff on my first transmission, I had a clicking sound coming from the rear wheels when turning, it was a repeating sound at the rate of the inside wheel rotation.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Vader13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Busted CV Boot???????
Old 12-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Picked the car up today and had a test ride with the technician and a good long chat.

The oil leak was the front main seal. He said that the lip was actually bent and visibly sticking out. He suspects that it was so in the original installation and just got worse. To replace the seal the cats and air cleaner came out, and the engine was dropped. New seal and oil, cooling system bled and engine cleaned. All on warranty.

After warming the car up on a drive, the technician pointed out during low speed tight turns the clicking noise he heard. I would consider it more a grinding noise and I associate it with the LSD. The LSD passes the 3.5 to 11 foot pound torque test, he said, but he was not familiar with the noise on a tight turn. It's a noise I hear regularly under those conditions. When the car was new on a tight turn on the street it would kind of "crab" around the corner. With almost 12,000 miles it doesn't do that any more, but I have heard that noise and considered it normal. The technician will check it against the next GT3 with a few miles that comes in to the shop. The have a customer car (an '04) but it only has 17 miles on it, so that would not be a useful comparison even if they could do it.

All in all, I'm happy to have it back again. On the way home I exchanged looks, and maybe a bit more, with a fellow in a Cobra Mustang.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how suprized was the snake?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Hard to say--the driver was not happy looking as he took an exit ramp.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:01 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"only 17 miles on it".........what a waste
Old 12-24-2005, 01:47 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hope it all works out good. It is hard to do much to the engine, transaxle, or gearbox on the 911 Model family without removing the power package.

Quick Reply: Oil leak and "clicking" noise from rear wheel