996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Gt3 for 2002 Gt2

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005 | 09:59 PM
4carl
Race Car

i had a 3 for 6mo and i bought a 2, same car a 02 red/blk . Sold the 3 after having them both for a year. i love the power and its a great car on the track you need to use bigger gears and not jump on the gas to quick. The ride is stiff but not as jarring as the 3 and it makes a better driver because of the tourqe. The market is 110-115 your car is mid to high 80s so somewhere in the upper 20s and you car seems Ok. Use my skill for buying high and selling low. Paid 122 for the 3 out the door and got 82 18mo and 11k mi later $3.81 per mile pluss tires and brakes. carl
Old 11-18-2005 | 12:17 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is a very nice looking GT2, however I would stick with your 2005 GT3. You know your cars history, you have 3+/- years of warranty left and the GT3 is such a great overall car. Sure the GT2 is faster in a straight line, but overall your GT3 will be on par on the track unless you are highly skilled. I also think long term you will have less depreciation on your GT3 and it will be easier to sell when the time comes, as it is a lower overall price and has a much broader appear amongst the faithful.

On the other hand if you are a Turbo/Torque junkie and you want to modify the GT2 you can easily get 100 hp and the GT2 will be a real thrill ride on the weekends. The rest of the mods are pretty much the same for either car.

The GT3 is a more liniear drive and probably better overall car in terms of track and street. The GT2 is a more exciting car, but also can be humbling, so it offers its own unique challenge.

You have to consider how you use your car and what is most important to you. You have weigh how much you value warranty, history and ease of sale in the future. All that being said don't get the GT2 without getting a drive in one, even if you have to fly down to MCI and test drive the one you see there.

For perspective I have a 2003 GT2 and a Cup car. I love the GT2 and when I was choosing which to buy I chose the GT2 and I am happy I did. But I have driven a number of GT3's and wouldn't make the change to one if I had a newer GT3. What is kinda funny is I live in S. Calif. and I bought my GT2 from Annopolis Mercedes, where it was traded in with just a few miles on it.

Good luck with you decision.
Old 11-18-2005 | 01:48 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GT2 is much more fun (and challenging) to track than the GT3. It demands more but it delivers more...but it's not for the faint hearted or impatient souls out there.

Do a forum search and see what guys like Bob Rouleau have to say ( they may even favor the GT3) but there is plenty of opinion from those who have owned both.

I say disregard opinions from anyone who has not owned (or extensively driven) both a GT2 and a GT3, they don't know of what they speak !

They're spouting convential wisdom, and that is often just plain wrong!

New (GT2) to new (GT3) is probably not worth the premium, but currently a used GT2 versus a used GT3..... the GT2 wins hands down.

It's the torque, (and versus the TT, well the TT is a pig).

I've owned all three, The GT2 is the "stable" one in the stable.
Old 11-18-2005 | 02:44 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only actual weight I know from a GT2 is from the guy that sold me the PCCB. 3240# with 1/4th of a gas tank (stock weight), 3109# after the mods and before the car was totalled at Road Atlanta. My stock car with 1/8th of gas tank was 3130#.

Drive it first and then decide.

My car is around 400# lighter than a stock GT2. That compesates a little bit for the lower power, and adds more fun to the GT3 experience. My choice is the GT3.
Old 11-18-2005 | 08:33 AM
4carl
Race Car

if track is your main thing do what i did buy the 2 and a Elise. I'm 3 secs faster in it than i am in the 2 the it's the most fun car i've ever had. carl
Old 11-18-2005 | 11:51 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Advice please. I can trade my 2005 Gt3 3100 miles, for a 2002 Gt2 with 3800 miles on it. 30k and my car. What do you think? The car is flawless. My concerns are any warranty issues, since it probably expires in 06, the car's history, (bought my Gt3 new). And is a Gt2 that much faster? I've never driven one, 456 hp is very tempting.
i'd do it. grind em for 5 more/ your car is worth 85 so 85+30=115. red is your colour. make them throw in certification so you have no warranty issues and do it. a gt2 is light years better than a gt3

... but then like colm, i am just speaking from experience: 3 gt2's and 4 gt3's
Old 11-19-2005 | 12:05 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by watt
a gt2 is light years better than a gt3
Please explain why Mr. Wattster other than the fact of it's straight line advantage on the track...

It certainly is NOT better in the turnstyle
Old 11-19-2005 | 02:01 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I think I fell in love with that guards red GT2
Old 11-19-2005 | 11:58 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

GT2 should really only be driven by two types of people, those who know they're not the best drivers in the world and those who are [instructors]. It's all about respect. I've driven both and prefer the GT3 - the scream of the engine at 7000rpm is the best Porsche sound, next to the Carrera GT.
Old 11-19-2005 | 02:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

the scream of the engine at 7000rpm is the best Porsche sound
Old 11-19-2005 | 09:38 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

9eleven,
If you want a ride, I am less than 2 hours away. You can ONLY get the car Porsche certified if it goes through a Porsche dealer...no other way.
I paid $1500 for the Porsche extended warranty.
I bought my 993 Turbo from Motorcars sight unseeen and it was "Exactly as advertised"...perfect.
Honestly, $30K sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

The power is absolutely addicting!!

Best,
Pete
610-745-3488 - cell
Old 11-23-2005 | 02:18 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Driven both. Boost is a very nice (bad) drug, reaching the top of the on ramp doing 135 and not knowing it can create issues under certain circumstances. Getting to 8K rpms and being able to remember how you got there is dream come true. Being a passenger in the GT2 was the scariest time in my life, I had no idea the car could stick like glue while boosting through a sharp right-hander. The GT3 is a great driving car, the GT2 is bad ****.

Get the GT2. If you don't like it you can sell it and buy your car (or one just like it) back.
Old 11-23-2005 | 03:55 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

I ran my good friends GT2 on a roll.. I always hit it first, It's completely stock.

first run I started at 4krpm, he instantly jumped one car length.. drove right by me about one to two car lengths, untill I got into the range and then it was close. he was still pulling away..slightly.

Second run..on a roll... .I started at a higher rpm .. jumped him 1 1/2 car lengths... eased off a little, to let him get going .. split second..jumped back on it.. No chance, he could not catch me.
He may have been gaining on me, but not by much if any.

my GT3 has been regeard and is a bit lighter than stock.. 110lbs. he had a pasenger.
I also pull away from stock GT3's as well.
Old 12-09-2005 | 04:57 PM
BBGT2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z06
I ran my good friends GT2 on a roll.. I always hit it first, It's completely stock.

first run I started at 4krpm, he instantly jumped one car length.. drove right by me about one to two car lengths, untill I got into the range and then it was close. he was still pulling away..slightly.

Second run..on a roll... .I started at a higher rpm .. jumped him 1 1/2 car lengths... eased off a little, to let him get going .. split second..jumped back on it.. No chance, he could not catch me.
He may have been gaining on me, but not by much if any.

my GT3 has been regeard and is a bit lighter than stock.. 110lbs. he had a pasenger.
I also pull away from stock GT3's as well.

Z06, that is just unbeliavable that you would pull on a GT2. Especially when you eased off and let him go and than left him in back of you. What have you done to that GT3 of yours to have that much power over a GT2 ? I am not trying to say it didnt happen I duhno wasnt there but being that I have driven both a GT3 many of times (a friend) and own a GT2. Havent raced him yet, but will as soon as the weather breaks here in the Midwest (prolly in 5 months ) .
How heavy was his passenger ? The HP differnce is 76 stock and even with a passenger in his vehicle that should have not happened IMHO .
I dont mean to sound disrepsective, but just asking.
Bajo

Edited: Just saw that yours was re-geared, but still.
Old 12-09-2005 | 06:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is no way a stock GT3 will pull on a stock GT2, assuming both are applying full throttle, and are being competently driven in each case.

It's the torque!

Quick Reply: 2005 Gt3 for 2002 Gt2