996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Gt3 for 2002 Gt2

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 02:35 PM
AW
Pro

Larry, I could not agree more. With the stock suspension setup, the GT2 is very easy to drive with a lot of understeer.

I also question the 1/3 wreck number. Who publishes these stats? Where is the data from? My guess is 2/3 are garage queens and less than 30 cars have been wrecked. Each time one is damaged it is all over the net.

A
Old 12-10-2005 | 03:23 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have no idea of how many GT2's have been wrecked, but like AW and Larry I find it hard to imagine it is 100 of 299. I have seen 2 totaled in OC and Newport Porsche Claims to have repaired 10+ from some type scrape - mostly light body damage and suspension damage (curbs). So I would agree most of the GT2's with issues probably happened on the street.

As Larry mentioned the GT2 had the same handling/set up issues from the factory as the GT3. They need to be corner balanced and aligned correctly. At that point they handle just fine. AW, I was able to dial out all the understeer with stock suspension and make the car very neutral. The car does have progressive springs, so it has to compress to take a set. However once it does, it has endless grip.

The GT2 demands respect and when driven smoothly is very fast, very exciting and very safe. It does not offer a saftey net like the Turbo, which is why I like it. I tell anyone who will listen if you can drive, buy a GT2 it is the car to own. However it is not for everyone and Porsche offers us all 2 other great choices in the GT3 and Turbo. One of these should meet most anyone's needs!

JCM
Old 12-10-2005 | 06:21 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Well Larry, let's see I had one for about a year and I took it to the track about once a month. I don't know if that qualifies me as an "expert", but how often did you drive one at the track? The GT3 is more nimble and is better balanced, but maybe not as challenging. They both seem like heavy cars to me these days, but I plan on keeping the 3 since I realize that I still have a lot to learn.
Old 12-10-2005 | 07:06 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BBGT2
Z06, that is just unbeliavable that you would pull on a GT2. Especially when you eased off and let him go and than left him in back of you. What have you done to that GT3 of yours to have that much power over a GT2 ? I am not trying to say it didnt happen I duhno wasnt there but being that I have driven both a GT3 many of times (a friend) and own a GT2. Havent raced him yet, but will as soon as the weather breaks here in the Midwest (prolly in 5 months ) .
How heavy was his passenger ? The HP differnce is 76 stock and even with a passenger in his vehicle that should have not happened IMHO .
I dont mean to sound disrepsective, but just asking.
Bajo

Edited: Just saw that yours was re-geared, but still.
My GT3 has been regeard..LW flywheel.. lighter...seats..battery..pccb on the rear...fab mufflers.. I must have removed over 100lbs. the reagearing has made a huge difference.

The GT2 was completly stock...with a passenger.. 160 lbs.

When i eased up ..I was almost instantly back on the throttle...just wanted to make sure he got going..(GT2) .the turbos need some time to get going..where as the GT3 ...when in it's power band will jump...when you hit the throttle..

I think who ever hits the throttle first will win a race...as long as the GT3 is in it's range.

My GT3 does not feel as fast as the GT2...the same goes with my old Z06 which made 420 rwhp...and I drive by that car.

However the GT3 gets it done...it's quick.. with less hp.. go figure,
I would never expected it to happen...it's all math

HP x weight x gearing = thrust
Plus the GT3 is a narrow body with less down force which means it uses less HP.

Today in the Toronto Star wheels section the had a write up on the new Z06...went on a roll with a Gallardo...dead even... how did that happen?
Old 12-10-2005 | 07:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Well Larry, let's see I had one for about a year and I took it to the track about once a month. I don't know if that qualifies me as an "expert", but how often did you drive one at the track?
Good point. I drove one long enough and fast enough to know that the "evil handling GT2" is a myth. I am not an expert either, but I am pretty fast, and very experienced, and I know when a car is working and when it is not. I can offer proof if you need it.

So then I am at a loss to understand why you tout Motons as the cure for the evil beast since you have owned and tracked one. If I have heard it once, I have heard it 1000 times, these cars (the GT2s & 3s) don't work unless you mod the suspension. I went through this on the GT forum. They work fine out of the box with a proper alignment, even with race tires. Will Motons, springs, and other tweaks make the car better? Of course, but only incrementally so as the car works well as is. Will Moton prevent someone without the proper experience from stuffing it into the guardrail? NO. Part of the problem with these cars is the race shops pushing expensive parts to help average drivers try to go faster. These cars don't need anything more than an experienced hand. They are not for novices, and it is only since Porsche has been making such high HP cars that there has been such an influx of new drivers in 400 hp cars. Maybe that is why the myths persist.

If it seemed that my previous post was aimed directly at you, it was not, and I apologize if you felt that way.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-10-2005 | 07:12 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

What was realy great the last time I drove my GT3...It was very cold ... I was in third gear..which is my shortest gear.. It had some serious pull...put a huge grin on my face..WOW.

I would sure like to keep the extra power it had that day... I think it's 1% gain in HP with every 10 degree drop in temp. It was cold out.
Old 12-10-2005 | 07:45 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

The one I was looking at sold that same day. I have been keeping my eye on Autotrader, Cars.com and eBay, there are several for sale in the 120k to 130k range. I keep trying to play down losing 30k to 40k on the deal. I have been comtemplating having the 3.9 litre bore kit done. It would run about 25k. HP claims are in the 450hp range. A place in Georgia will ship the engine to Belgium and it comes back a 3.9 litre monster. Maybe I'll be the forum lab rat. 450hp in a Gt3? I bet I would be a popular guy on this forum if it worked with no mechanical issues.
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:33 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
The one I was looking at sold that same day. I have been keeping my eye on Autotrader, Cars.com and eBay, there are several for sale in the 120k to 130k range. I keep trying to play down losing 30k to 40k on the deal. I have been comtemplating having the 3.9 litre bore kit done. It would run about 25k. HP claims are in the 450hp range. A place in Georgia will ship the engine to Belgium and it comes back a 3.9 litre monster. Maybe I'll be the forum lab rat. 450hp in a Gt3? I bet I would be a popular guy on this forum if it worked with no mechanical issues.
Do some home work... there are several packages out there.. some 4.0... 4.2
http://www.albertweb.de/Porsche/Tuni...gskit445PS.htm
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:55 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

larry,

I think that the GT3 suspension is fine out of the box, it was the GT2 that I still feel has issues. I am sure that you are a very fast driver, I wasn't questioning that, but I put 8k miles on a 2 in a year so I do have a pretty good feel for the car and it is not as good as the 3 at the track in my mind. The power is intoxicating granted.
Old 12-11-2005 | 01:10 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

9Eleven;

Did you see this red 2004 GT2 in Houston, Texas?

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:24 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993_996_enthusiast
9Eleven;

Did you see this red 2004 GT2 in Houston, Texas?

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/
Dude, that thing is sick. It's exactly like my 3. The only difference is that I've got red gauges. This one even has the Porsche crest on the storage bin lid and it has the the red dash strips. An 04'!!!!!! I'm going to give them a call on Monday. What do you think, my car and 70k?
Old 12-11-2005 | 03:31 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
These guys offer a 3.9l 440bhp kit and they are a very credible tuning shop for GT3s.

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainfra...lang=de&e1=197

http://www.manthey-motors.de/nextsho...pdf.asp?id=257

Pricey, though!
Old 12-11-2005 | 04:19 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

9Eleven;

Glad I could help. My wife and I saw your 2005 GT3 when it was in the dealer's showroom.

Anyway, I think Ray Joseph is supposed to be a good dealer who knows the cars he sells very well. He doesn't mess with car's with stories and his prices reflect that. You can do a search on Rennlist 993 Forum, "Joseph" for customer comments. Reference point for you; I noticed that he has a 2005 GT3, 7700 miles listed for $84,500.
Old 12-11-2005 | 04:37 PM
wbrownie
Racer

That GT3 is sold....to me!!!!
Old 12-11-2005 | 09:01 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanH
These guys offer a 3.9l 440bhp kit and they are a very credible tuning shop for GT3s.

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainfra...lang=de&e1=197

http://www.manthey-motors.de/nextsho...pdf.asp?id=257

Pricey, though!
Are they in the U.S.? Are any of their web sites translated into English?

Quick Reply: 2005 Gt3 for 2002 Gt2