front light (unstable) at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front light (unstable) at high speeds

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I sold my mk1 a while ago and have now picked up my mk2 from Porsche and its fantastic, black with black full leather interior. I
have one concern though; it feels like the front of the car gets pretty
light in higher speeds (unstable), not as my previous mk1. What do you guys think I should do to resolve this, is an alignment due? I had Mantheys setup
(alignment) on my mk1, what shall I do? Thanks!

GT3´s rock
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Get an alignment done and have them lower the front end 10mm.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

I was feeling the same issue with my Mk2. I just had a FarnbacherLoles alignment setup done on my car last week and the ride home was like night and day from the delivery setup.

Chet
Old 08-18-2005, 06:23 AM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Thanks guys........so an alignment should resolve the problem? Would the motorsport front splitter make any difference??

Last edited by MatroxMGA; 08-18-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Sauron
Intermediate

Guys -when you refer to alignment, do you mean a new suspension setup - retune geometry, ride height etc.... or????
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Get an alignment done and have them lower the front end 10mm.
Spec is 115-120mm for the front axle and 122-133mm for the rear axle (measured as noted in the manual). Are you lowering the front to 105-115mm? any changes to the rear?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CME
I was feeling the same issue with my Mk2. I just had a FarnbacherLoles alignment setup done on my car last week and the ride home was like night and day from the delivery setup.

Chet
I must have just missed you, I dropped of my car just before you picked yours up. I totally love the color of your car.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

How fast were you going to make it kinda unstable? Alignment seems to be the solution for that. I don't think you'll really need to lower the front-means more lip spoiler scraping kinda thing unless it's solely used for the track. The motorsport spoiler lip pretty much looks like oem length but width is same from corner to corner versus oem is tapered down on the corners. I think it's only effective on high speed sweepers-downforce in a straightline should be the same given same length. It maybe longer but it's oh so small. It's cheap though versus oem one. I paid $110 from TRG. Regards. Mike
Old 08-18-2005, 01:27 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
I must have just missed you, I dropped of my car just before you picked yours up. I totally love the color of your car.
Thanks. I picked up the car last Friday around 4:30pm. They also installed the TE rollbar, GT3 seats and harnesses.

Feels like I got a new car....

Chet

Last edited by CME; 04-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wish those GT3 seats would fit my fat ***, I have to live with EVO3's. He's also doing a custom shifter with Cup bits and pieces for me... How many hours did they charge you for to install everything?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by CME
Thanks. I picked up the car last Friday around 4:30pm. They also installed the TE rollbar, GT3 seats and harnesses.

Feels like I got a new car....

Chet

Nice, but the bottom of the stock 3-point belt should go thru the hole (towards the outside of the car) in the seat and the top loop. Numerous threads on this issue. I've got mine set up that way and it does make a difference.

Last edited by Holger B; 08-18-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Thanks for your replies. I will have an alignment done (meaning camber settings etc...????) So the cup spoiler is bigger than the oem? Anyone have a comparisson?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
just wish those GT3 seats would fit my fat ***, I have to live with EVO3's. He's also doing a custom shifter with Cup bits and pieces for me... How many hours did they charge you for to install everything?
They charged me 8 hours and that included bar, seats and harness.

[QUOTE=Holger B]Nice, but the bottom of the stock 3-point belt should go thru the hole (towards the outside of the car) in the seat and the top loop. Numerous threads on this issue. I've got mine set up that way and it does make a difference.

With the harness only the top of the belt should loop through the seats as per Porsche. The bottom slot is exclusively for the lower lap belt of the harness - if you have it installed. No harness and the way you mentioned is correct. They messed that up and I am going have to get that fixed.

Thanks.

Chet
Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 AM
healeyg
Instructor

[QUOTE=CME]They charged me 8 hours and that included bar, seats and harness.

Originally Posted by Holger B
Nice, but the bottom of the stock 3-point belt should go thru the hole (towards the outside of the car) in the seat and the top loop. Numerous threads on this issue. I've got mine set up that way and it does make a difference.

With the harness only the top of the belt should loop through the seats as per Porsche. The bottom slot is exclusively for the lower lap belt of the harness - if you have it installed. No harness and the way you mentioned is correct. They messed that up and I am going have to get that fixed.

Thanks.

Chet
so, what was the total bill? are you going HANS?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by CME

I run mine thru the loop & the slot even when the harness is in with no problems.

Quick Reply: front light (unstable) at high speeds