Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new battery.... should I get an cell battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new battery.... should I get an cell battery?

Like an Optoma (sp). Anything I should know about in changing a battery?

I've thought about going through a dealer (under warranty) but the hassle is not worth the 80 bucks I think....
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
mds
Pro

I'm happy with the Optima Model 35. Its reverse terminal orientation works with the stock battery cables, but its footprint is smaller so you will need a mounting plate of some sort. I used a HDPE plastic plate cut to fix the stock tray along with some spare hardware.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Mike - thanks - that is exactly what I needed to know. Questions: what is HPDE plastic (looks kind of like a plastic cutting board) and where did you get it? And you put a piece on the bottom too? Nice hardware - I assume that is not stock either?

-Kevin
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM
mds
Pro

HDPE is like cutting board plastic. Get it at Tap Plastics or any local plastic supplier. Tap sells pieces cut to size at low cost. The lower piece is sized to slide into the stock battery tray slots and bolted down using the stock bolt. The hardware is a couple of threaded aluminum rods with countersunk flat head bolts on the bottom and regular bolts on the top.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Perfect - thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Darn that's a very nicely done mount for the optima. Selling ne : ). Regards. Mike
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

I got an Optima for my 914 as I don't drive it very often- it went dead (even though I put it on a trickle charger every so often) in about 6 months and won't hold a charge. Was disappointed as I like the no leak characteristics. Maybe I got a bad one- need to take it back to Sam's Club where I got it....
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a parts list and or measurement of the hardware?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Unless your handy with fabrication (and even if you are), the Optima is not worth the effort. Just get the proper Autozone/Pep Boys battery and you'll be good to go - no worries!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Very nice install Mike.

I would think the GT3 to be a perfect candidate for an AGM battery like the Odyssey PC680. These cars are less likely to be used in very cold conditions and less likely to have lots of accessories. The only down-side is that a trickle charger would be essential when the car is parked for long periods with the alarm on.

Seven kg for a battery is a powerful incentive in my book -- an advantage that the Optima battery doesn't have.

Stephen
Old 10-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that a traditional trickle charger is not compatible with the Optima battery.

Kevin -- why don't you get a lightweight battery. The Braille battery weighs 11.5 lbs and is a variable mounting, non-spilling, sealed unit which is compatible with the Porsche battery maintainer (trickle charger) . I recently put one in the Lotus -- works great.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:15 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack
It's my understanding that a traditional trickle charger is not compatible with the Optima battery.

Kevin -- why don't you get a lightweight battery. The Braille battery weighs 11.5 lbs and is a variable mounting, non-spilling, sealed unit which is compatible with the Porsche battery maintainer (trickle charger) . I recently put one in the Lotus -- works great.
The Optima is just a normal lead acid battery. The Porsche trickle charger should be perfect for it.

The Braille is an AGM battery similar to the Odyssey PC680 (slightly lighter, more money). Ideally, the voltage is very slightly higher on an AGM battery. There are chargers designed specifically for the AGM battery. I have the AccuMate PRO 12V 7A-S Odyssey:

But the standard trickle chargers will also work though they will not keep the battery at full charge.

Stephen
Old 10-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stephen,

I stand corrected -- it was my understanding that the Optima was a "gel" type battery. I got my Braille for less than the cost of the Odyssey, but I've got connections.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:29 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jack
Stephen,

I stand corrected -- it was my understanding that the Optima was a "gel" type battery. I got my Braille for less than the cost of the Odyssey, but I've got connections.
The weight of the Braille makes it a really impressive battery. Wish I had known you had a source before I bought my Odyssey. I would have had you get me one.

I believe the charging circuit on a gel battery is almost identical to the AGM battery. But there doesn't seem much point in using them anymore as the AGM does the same thing (leakproof, sealed) with less weight. Gel was ideal for aircraft but now I'm noticing that Experimental builders seem to be moving to the AGM battery.

Stephen
Old 10-15-2005, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

mike, you ought to start marketing that contraption you use to hold down the battery. i'll get one.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery.... should I get an cell battery?