Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the RS that much faster than the GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,057 Likes on 625 Posts
Default Is the RS that much faster than the GT3...

I saw on top gear the RS ran 22s where the 3 ran 27s...I know it should be faster, but that much?

Besides suspension, whats really the difference?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 got a 1.27 because it was tested in the rain, while the others were in the dry; doesn't provide much for comparison, does it?

Geoff.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffucla
The GT3 got a 1.27 because it was tested in the rain, while the others were in the dry; doesn't provide much for comparison, does it?

Geoff.
That's true, the GT3 literally ran that time in a rain storm. The more I watch that show the more I agree with Mr. C4. He wrote this on another thread when we were discussing why everyone was selling their GT3's and I cited that the show had just tested a GT3 and they were all raving about it. Mr C4 wrote,

"The Top Gear show is a auto testing program produced by BBC that is known for favoring British made cars and pissing on anything German. Jeremy Clarkson himself has demonstrated in one program how to destroy a 911 and he should be shot for that. He hates all things Porsche and swears by the F cars."

Mr. C 4 is right. Clarkson compared the F car as something being built by God in last nights show. And when the Porsche equaled the F car around the track he didn't look very happy. Hell, he passed the F car around the track and the F car was being driven by a professional F car tester. If it isn't British or an F car he doesn't like it. Based on the time the RS ran, the GT3 should be right up there. Not behind the Lotus who tested in perfect conditions. But what the heck, it's just a show.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For the price difference in Europe between the GT3 and GT3RS you can convert the GT3 in a faster car. As much as I like the GT3RS, the price in US is too high and I will take a 360CS instead.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
For the price difference in Europe between the GT3 and GT3RS you can convert the GT3 in a faster car. As much as I like the GT3RS, the price in US is too high and I will take a 360CS instead.

What is the price difference in a RS and a 3?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3RS isnt for sale in the US, or so I thought.

Rad - Congrats on the latest AutoX win.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

To be fair to Jeremy...he had praised the GT3RS and GT3 rather strongly. His aversion to the German marque is abating.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Top Gear is about having fun. The main presenter, Jeremy Clarkson is not PC and is not from a working class background. As a result a lot of people get their knickers in a twist about this program and Clarkson's opinions.

For the record, I've heard and read Clarkson say as many nice things about Porsche as he has said critical things. He is a good buddy of Jay Leno, who understands Jeremy's sense of humour and turn of phrase.

A lot of posterior orifices drive Porsches in Britain, this has led to a great deal of pisstaking, which is reflected in popular culture. As well as the aforementioned orifices, there are also a great many anoracs, this latter group is woefully short on humour and quick to take offense. Clarkson pointed out that he (the world's worst driver), could pass a Ferrari driven by a factory pilot, the GT3 RS was THAT good. Then he said that he still wanted a Ferrari. Clarkson acknowledged that we are all illogical at times, I can't see that its a reason to condemn the man as anti-Porsche. Its a glamour issue.

R+C
Old 07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
GT3RS isnt for sale in the US, or so I thought.

Rad - Congrats on the latest AutoX win.

I don't think its for sale anywhere. I have heard of this car, seen in on tv, read about it in magazines, but can't find it on any Porsche site in the world....I think its a bit marketing ploy by PAG , its realy a 3 with a different wing and some air vents in the front
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There is/was an alleged GT3 RS (street version) for sale in FL.

Just to make sure you guys are clear on this, the Top Gear episodes that air on Discovery Channel are at least 1 yr. old and have been re-cut w/new studio scenes for the American audience.

Greg A
Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

It's readily available in Europe, although production has or is about to cease, AFAIK--

Geoff.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Im waiting for the 997S episode where the gear **** comes off in his hand, he also complains about his leg always hitting the memory button on the door causing the seat to move forwards - He really hates porsche with a passion.

I really wish they would show the new episodes of Fifth Gear already, it's the better show, plus the presenters know who to drive unlike Clarkson.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Don't forget that the RS is equipped with DOT-R race tires, so any laptime comparisons are rather sketchy. For instance, the BMW CSL comes with DOT-R and does the Ring in 7:50 while the similar M3 has street tires and does it in around 8:20
Old 07-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don't forget that the RS is equipped with DOT-R race tires, so any laptime comparisons are rather sketchy. For instance, the BMW CSL comes with DOT-R and does the Ring in 7:50 while the similar M3 has street tires and does it in around 8:20
Similar..... you wish!

R+C
Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Similar..... you wish!

R+C
Well, the CSL has 5% more power, slightly less weight, and firmer suspension. I'd be willing to bet that the tires account for the lion's share of the laptime improvement.

Quick Reply: Is the RS that much faster than the GT3...