Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the RS that much faster than the GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few still available in South Africa...

http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthre.../page/0#110583
Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,834 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Similar..... you wish!

R+C
In an issue of Top Gear Magazine (might be another British mag), they tested the M3 against the CSl and the M3 was faster in a 0-100mph test...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Well, the CSL has 5% more power, slightly less weight, and firmer suspension. I'd be willing to bet that the tires account for the lion's share of the laptime improvement.
and I think some of this stuff helps improve the laptime: lighter wheels, revised steering, modified DSC w/m track mode, CF roof, lower Cg, revised aerodynamics, etc.

Grant,

You posted while I was typing. The magazine test you mentioned, AFAIK is the only one in which the CSL was actually slower than an M3. Most likely there was something wrong with the test car.

Greg A
Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Im waiting for the 997S episode where the gear **** comes off in his hand, he also complains about his leg always hitting the memory button on the door causing the seat to move forwards - He really hates porsche with a passion.
If by 'hates Porsche with a passion', you mean he doesn't 'mindlessly worship at the temple of Porsche', then I agree with you. You might have noticed that Porsches are not well set up from stock for tall people, surprising when you consider the number of tall German and American customers, and as for gear levers falling off, thats nearly as nasty as the turn indicator jambing the steering, repeatedly, which nearly made me leave more than 'my heart in San Francisco'.

I rather enjoy the way they howitzer old cars into caravans and such, instead of banging on about what bloody good drivers they are. Unlike most of the motoring media, they have realised that being able to write about cars does not mean you are a driving genius.

The frequently voiced preference for FifthGear, or what ever Tiff's program is called is curious. Tiff, despite beoing able to drive quite well when he has too, mostly drives really badly on camera, and when reviewing cars in general. However, the technique he shows is straight out of the Maxpower play book, and therefore finds a ready audience amongst chavs and other Essex boys.

Take a leaf out of the great republican's book, and love your Porsche 'warts and all', rather than your Panglossian approach.

R+C
Old 07-15-2005, 01:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,834 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
and I think some of this stuff helps improve the laptime: lighter wheels, revised steering, modified DSC w/m track mode, CF roof, lower Cg, revised aerodynamics, etc.

Grant,

You posted while I was typing. The magazine test you mentioned, AFAIK is the only one in which the CSL was actually slower than an M3. Most likely there was something wrong with the test car.

Greg A
Greg - you make some good points and I agree that they all contribute also (although any driver who can break 8 min with a CSL probably had the DSC turned off), but I still maintain that tires are the biggest (not only) improvement. I would say that an M3 with DOT-R tires would probably beat a CSL with street tires at the Ring...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If by 'hates Porsche with a passion', you mean he doesn't 'mindlessly worship at the temple of Porsche', then I agree with you. You might have noticed that Porsches are not well set up from stock for tall people, surprising when you consider the number of tall German and American customers, and as for gear levers falling off, thats nearly as nasty as the turn indicator jambing the steering, repeatedly, which nearly made me leave more than 'my heart in San Francisco'.

I rather enjoy the way they howitzer old cars into caravans and such, instead of banging on about what bloody good drivers they are. Unlike most of the motoring media, they have realised that being able to write about cars does not mean you are a driving genius.

The frequently voiced preference for FifthGear, or what ever Tiff's program is called is curious. Tiff, despite beoing able to drive quite well when he has too, mostly drives really badly on camera, and when reviewing cars in general. However, the technique he shows is straight out of the Maxpower play book, and therefore finds a ready audience amongst chavs and other Essex boys.

Take a leaf out of the great republican's book, and love your Porsche 'warts and all', rather than your Panglossian approach.

R+C
I could not have said it better... I find JC very entertaining!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 529 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolo
I don't think its for sale anywhere. I have heard of this car, seen in on tv, read about it in magazines, but can't find it on any Porsche site in the world....
The GT3RS was only built for 04.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:53 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 529 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
There is/was an alleged GT3 RS (street version) for sale in FL.
Greg A
That car sold in 2 days after the ad ran in DuPont.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Where can I find when they're showing it again?? Thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Where can I find when they're showing it again?? Thanks
Just found it:

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/se...=0&channel=DSC
Old 07-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

I guess each magazine or TV program will get different results, so there is no way of saying which is faster and by how much. Here is some additional information.

As far as acceleration is concerned, both cars are very close, if not the same, depending on the particular car being tested. Porsche lists a 0.1s advantage for the RS to 62mph, however real tests have not shown that. Another test gave advantage to all acceleration results from standstill and between gears to a stock GT3 (not RS). The RS being tested was brand new, so it was not properly broken-in, that migh the the difference. Net net, the difference, if any, is hardly measurable as far as acceleration is concerned.

Where the difference is significant is on the track. The same RS posted 2.4 seconds better time on a 1.2Mile track. This difference was due to better R compound tires (P Corsa) that come from the factory on the RS as mentioned earlier, AND an improvement in the front suspension components and settings. The early GT3 had a slightly "wondering" and imprecise front suspension on certain cars (hardly noticeable to other than a professional) due to a defect in a rubber component at the upper point where the suspension is bolted to the chassis. The RS also has different length when it comes to some of the front suspension links, and they are adjustable.

The RS has been weighed at 1360Kgs, 30Kgs more than what Porsche states, (including radio and A/C which are free options), the GT3 at 1,380 Kgs (around 45 lbs more) and the GT3 Clubsport is the heaviest at 1,410 Kgs (around 70lbs more than the GT3 and 115lbs. more than the RS) due to the roll cage.

The RS is a wonderful car and the "feel" is fantastic as far as responsiveness and the interior sound is concerned, whether it is worth the extra price, it is each one's perception!

Quick Reply: Is the RS that much faster than the GT3...