Sponsored by:

Turn Signal going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal going crazy

Couldn't find this by searching the 996 forums or this one, if it has been answered before please direct me to it

On my 05 GT3 the right turn signal seems to be malfunctioning, when i turn it on, it flashes about 3 times as fast as the left one. only the right one is malfunctioning.

this happens while applying pressure (lane change), OR while fully activating the stalk.

not really a big issue, but im concerned it may burn out the relays or bulbs if they weren't designed to flash that fast.

any quick fixes? mabye a fuse or something that can be jiggled?

i suspect it has something to do wtih the additional vibrations that are experieneced inside the cabin after installing bypass pipes.

thanks!

Tom
Old 05-19-2005, 09:37 AM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Usually a rapid blinking indicates a burnt out bulb. Have you checked all of the right side bulbs to verify they are all working?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Agree -a burt out bulb is the most likely cause. Perhaps a filament that didn't like the vibration from the new exhaust (note, I did not say muffler).
Old 05-19-2005, 10:14 AM
GreigM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a common feature in european cars - if one of the bulbs goes out it blinks fast to let you know...very common with a lot of the suspect french and italian wiring we see over here....commonly known as the "renault disco".
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 PM
AW
Pro

I have a similar issue with my GT2. Unfortunately it is not the bulb but a bad connector. It was fixed once but came back.

AW
Old 05-19-2005, 12:30 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

AW -- Check all the bulb bases and bulb sockets for any corrosion/build up. If the resistence is a bit higher than normal, the signal could do that. On BMW's they are very sensitive to variations in resistence (ie: aftermarket bulbs, corrosion, etc.). So give them a good look over and look for anything that may cause resistence. Also, if you have a "cheap" bulb in there, swap it out for a "good" one. I had problems like this on my M3 and cheap bulbs and slight corrosion were always the culprits. Hopefully it is that simple in this instance too.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 PM
AV8TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom

I just figured this out. I don't post on the board very often, but do read...I had this same problem, in fact my whole right headlight assembly was out. I had the fast blink and thought the bulb had burned out. What happened when the headlight got loose, the connection was gone and when it rattled itselft back in, everything was fine.

I was typing how to put the headlight back in, but started thinking about someone trying to steal them. If you PM me, I'll tell you if you don't already know what holds it in place. I couldn't believe it was so simple...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Moogle
Race Car

hey guys, thanks for all the responses, just got around to looking at the lights yesterday. thanks AV8TR for bringing it up again.

an update, the rear bulb was burnt out, replaced it with a new one, works like a charm now.!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

That's interesting, a week after my car was delivered the right headlight stopped working. It turns out the connecter came loose. Plugged it back in and it's been fine ever since.

Why do we all have the same manufacturing flaws (sway bar, headlight, etc)? It really pisses me off when I think about what they charge for these cars. They're making the UAW look good...

The directions to remove the headlight assembly are in the manual. Takes all of about 2 minutes.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal going crazy