Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Headliner Removal - Your thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink GT3 Headliner Removal - Your thoughts??

Based on my rather large size (6'6" and 44 inch waist) the top of my head is slightly rubbing on the headliner.

I am going down two paths in order to improve my headroom.

1. I have an EVO 3 SPARCO seat on order that will be modified and installed by Dave White Racing in Tampa, FL.

2. I will remove the headliner and have an Upholstery Shop redo the headliner as needed. The shop recommended that the Porsche Dealer remove the Headliner, then they will evaluate and probably glue thin foam and black leatherette material as required to cosmetically improve the interior..

Would more experienced GT3 owners weigh in on the questions below:

a. Does the GT3 RS or GT3 Cup use a headliner?
b. Has anyone else tried this measure to get room for their helmet?
c. How ugly is the A,B,C pillars and interior roof metal after the headliner is removed?

Thanks for your support!

John in Jacksonville Florida
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

John - I don't think there is a lot of extra head-room to be gained by changing the head liner. Most people find a way to lower the seat. This can be done with different mounting brackets or in extreme cases by bolting the seat directly to the floor pan - you lose adjustment of course. Another thing which helps is to find a helmet which has less of a "dome" on top. For example the SA2000 Bell open face helmets are a good inch taller than a similar SA 2000 Simpson, the Bell also sticks out way farther in back causing a number of people using race seats into a chin down position.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Some additional info: I have the GT3 seats with the Brey-Krause 1" lower seat brackets on factory sliders and there is still over 1" of clearance below the bottom of the seat. Some guys are drilling an additional set of mounting holes lower for more headroom. That should also buy you some more room. Although there is some discussion about safety, its been done.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shoulnd't have to do that. On my setup (EVO 2 with custom seat mounts) it was easily possible to lower the seat 2 to 3" more, and I am only 4" shorter than you.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John,

If you do something with the headliner I'd just remove the whole thing and leave bare painted metal.

If you do something, please post experience & maybe some pics also, I'm thinking of removing my sunroof (I have 993) and headliner for the weight reasons.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT3 seat and the BK lowering bracket drops your seating position at least 2+". I'm 6'7" and with a helmet, I still don't rub the roof...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Reworking the headliner would be the last option IMO. To start with I would remove the seat bottom cushions when wearing a helmet. At 6'4", I find that solution works for me. If thats not enough then go for the BK lowering brackets.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BK Lowering Brackets with 6pt anti sub ?

Rockitman said:
GT3 seat and the BK lowering bracket drops your seating position at least 2+". I'm 6'7" and with a helmet, I still don't rub the roof...
Rockit,

I can't remember, do you have the 6 point installed? Will the BK lowering brackets work if you have the anti-submarining belt ?

Robin
Old 05-11-2005, 08:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdrei
Rockitman said:

Rockit,

I can't remember, do you have the 6 point installed? Will the BK lowering brackets work if you have the anti-submarining belt ?

Robin
no 6 point. There should be no problem using the sub belt with the lowered bracket. I made sure of this for I may install the 6 point down the road depending upon how much I end up tracking...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Do not remove the headliner under any circumstances. Get the lowered seats option from Porsche and have the dealer install it. If that doesnt do it, remove 10mm of foam from your seat cushion.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Do not remove the headliner under any circumstances...
Why not?

GT3RS doesn't have it or does it? I really don't know, just assuming it doesn't since 964 & 993 RS Clubsports (in a way equivalent to 996 GT3RS) didn't have headliner.

But even if GT3RS has it, why not?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
cigarette1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
But even if GT3RS has it, why not?

Got to sell it one day
Old 05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

There is nothing between the headliner and the metal. The headliner is fairly thin, light and has sufficient "give" in it. One's head can touch the metal with or without headliner and certainly with a helmet. If you tap the headliner with one finger, you will hear the metal! Unless someone forgot to include something in my GT3, I do not see how one can gain headroom by removing it unless one is picky about one's hair or helmet touching the headliner (for those with cosmetic considerations as regards car or self or both).
Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cigarette1
Got to sell it one day
I understand what you mean but I always worry much more about my car's current owner's preferences than it's next owner's preferences.

Ran here gives better reason, there doesn't seem to be not much to be gained (neither weight savings of extra room), although I think bare roof looks very cool...
Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

My take on this: removing the headliner is tantamount to molesting a perfectly good Porsche which was delivered with a perfectly good (and very well made) suede headliner. It is for this reason that I have not had my V1 hardwired. I do not want anyone getting into the headliner without being sure they will be able to get it back to the way it was.

Sitting lower in the car is always a good thing IMO, as you fell more "connected" to whats going on with the chassis. This is why I would always recommend a lower seating position to remedy any perceived lack of headroom. Being a tall guy myself (6'4"), I ordered the car with the 10mm lower seats. Not a cheap option ($750?), but well worth it. Feels like I'm driving a 400hp go-kart. It makes a big difference, it's a factory part, and the car remains unmolested.

JAX- It sounds to me like the upholstry shop does not want to remove the headliner because they don't want the liability. The approach they are suggesting, to "glue thin foam and black leatherette material as required to cosmetically improve the interior", sounds like a complete nightmare to me. Just the thought of some $6/hr kid with a glue gun in my perfect GT3 interior is giving me a panic attack! I would NEVER put my faith in an upholstry shop to "do their best" to bring my interior back up to Porsche standards. The headliner in your car makes up a large portion of it's interior surfaces. To say nothing of all the places where the hadliner meets interior body panels; all of these interfaces will be looking "exposed" if you remove the headliner. I fear you will not understand the consequences of attempting this approach until you have already gone too far.

They are right about one thing; let the dealership handle it. For less time and money you can do the 10mm lower seat tracks and never have to rip anything out of your interior.

Quick Reply: GT3 Headliner Removal - Your thoughts??