Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Point Belt Installation Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:22 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Point Belt Installation Question?

I will be mounting a 5 point racing belt system to replace my original seat belts.

How do I disable the warning switch for the seat belts? Is there a plug? Does the local dealer disable via PST2? Or do I jumper out somehow?

Thanks,John
Old 04-26-2005, 03:25 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did-- I bought a pair of Boxster seat belts on eBay, cut the male plug off the nylon belt and pitched the inertia-reel spool, and plugged the thing into the stock belt receptor housing. That way, I can run harnesses when I want to and those spiffy yellow seat belts when I want to. The 993 belt prongs won't fit, they are just a tad too wide.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS clone
Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

If you're going to drive the car on the road, you're going to need the original seat belts as the 5 points are not DOT legal. I just run the stock belt behind the seat and plug it in when I'm using the 5 points on the track. Otherwise, drop it down a gear and run it at 6-8k rpms and you won't even hear the gonging!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default Great Info to a Newbie

I am a newbie to Racing Seats and 5 Point Belts.

While using stock seatbelts; How do I clip the stock seatbelt male end into the female receptacle between the racing seat and the center console? I guess it would have to fit through the rectangular hole by my right thigh? But isn't there an unused 5 point harness going through that area also?

I realize this sounds quite stupid!!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:23 PM
DCLee
Pro

Not at all... what I/we meant to say was...
Buy a harness bar like a Brey Krause or (better still) a rollbar such as DAS or Techquipment piece and attach your race harnesses to the crossbrace. Keep your stock seat belts in the stock location and either latch them behind your seat when you're at the track or do as I did and buy male prongs to snap into the female receptors-- presto, no warning lights. It's a good idea to retain your stock belts for the street, as fryd said, and, unless you're tracking the car, it is not a good idea to get the harnesses. Hope this is clearer.

Lee in D.C.
'04 RS clone
Old 04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default One more question?

1. Do you use your stock seatbelts for daily driving on public roads with your racing seats?

2. Is it possible, or a PITA, to use the 5 point belts for daily street use?

Thanks,John
Old 04-26-2005, 04:59 PM
DCLee
Pro

I use the harnesses because I have a full rollcage and I don't want to lurch forward into the thing. I don't drive much on the street, only to and from my mechanics' to drop piles of money on them.

It is a major major PITA using harness as your daily safety device for the street--they are bulky and they get hot. Some people on this list, I'm sure, do it, and maybe they're more tolerant. You also have to keep your harnesses very tight, and your range of motion, for times when you want to reach into your pocket for toll money, etc., is zip. Just my opinion...

Lee in D.C.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

i have both harness and oem belt with gt3 race seats.
when on street, the top of the oem belt goes through the hole near your shoulder and the lower portion goes through the hole near your left thigh. to buckle it, you pull toward the femail buckle but OVER the thigh bolster, no need to pass through the hole near your right thigh. (i think this is what you are asking?)

while using the oem belt, you pull the harness back out of the shoulder holds and let them hang on the roll bar while the lap belt part of the harness can be either hidden under seat cushion (not under seat, only under cushion so you are sitting on them) or thread them back out of the holes near your thighs and let them rest on the floor. not sure i am making this clear.

when you are on track and using harness, thread them into the proper holes and buckle up. i think this part is self explanatory. leave the oem belt as is. to kill the warning chime, i do what DCLEE does or you can wrap the oem belt behind the front seat and insert male buckle into female receptor as usual.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:50 PM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks sooo much for the replies. I now understand the process. This forum is a terrific place to share information!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

John, let me add to the confusion.

I've got the GT3 seat, 6 point harness & Techquipment roll bar with cross brace. I only use the harness at the track, it's too constraining and impractical for everyday use.

When using the harness, I have a separate male end buckle that I put in the receptacle to keep the light/buzzer from coming on. The male end I got from a junkyard for $2 off a VW (I'm told Audi's will work too), bring some scissors and go cut one out.

I think my stock belt is set up a little differently than Mooty's. Mine goes thru the top (shoulder) loop but not thru either of the side holes in the GT3 seat. It works well that way and doesn't bother me when I use the harness. I remove the harness (very easy to do) when I'm not at the track.

Also, I don't know what your plans are, but I wouldn't use a harness without the proper seat (GT3 or otherwise, but not the stock one). The stock seat isn't designed to be used with a harness and it won't hold you in place at the track. You'll also need a harness bar or roll bar. That's how I ended up with the setup I have now. It's very safe and allows me to fully focus on driving instead of thinking about how to brace myself for the next turn.

If this isn't making sense, I can take some photos if need be.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2 cents (you get change back)

If you are buying harnesses, I would suggest considering 6 points.

There have been numerous discussions in the DE forum, quoting people like Tom Gideon of GM Racing/Engineering about the shortcomings of 5 points vs 6 (or even 7 points) in impacts.
A search should yield additional info.

FWIW, I run Schroth Titanium Hybrid II 6 points (which replaced my TeamTech Rampacs) and was surprised at exactly how comfortable the Hybrid sub mounting system is.

Holger B is absolutely correct. Proper harnesses require proper seats. I would consult with your mechanic, folks at the track/DE region people, etc and discuss your options.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 AM
JAX GT3
Instructor

Default Thanks to all!!

Thank you all Again!!

I am planning to have Dave White Racing in Tampa, FL install a SPARCO EVO 3 seat (because I am a 'full-figured fella'). The EVO 3 is a new seat that is designed for XL size people. Looks like I'll have to do some fiberglass mods to get the seat to fit on the left shoulder area due to interference, we'll see during a dry fit. I need a better seating position, especially headroom, since I am 6'6" , 44 inch waist, 56 inch chest, and 270 pounds.

I'll retain the stock seatbelts, install a harness bar and 5 point belts.

Dave White is very supportive of doing what it takes to get me comfortable for both Daily Driving (about 550 miles per week) and AutoCross events.

Again, Thanks for your terrific advice.

John

Quick Reply: 5 Point Belt Installation Question?