Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear wheel looks like a 19"...
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 PM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
997 Cup cars are only sold to Supercup race teams. Who made up your silly homologation story - this car does not need homologation?

R+C
And they will only ever be raced in Supercup.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffucla
That's definitely true about the power. A couple of weeks ago I was at the DE at Texas World Speedway. This is basically a Nascar track with an infield. During the last run session, I was running with a 996TT and another GT3. When on the Nascar part of the track (basically the straight), I would put some serious distance on the TT. I'd get on the straight at about 50ish mph, and by the end, I'd be hitting an indicated 150. And by the end of the straight, the car felt like it was just beginning to get moving! I was really amazed at how it would pull on a TT in the straight--there must really be some power there. True that the TT is all wheel drive and has the wide body, but I was also running the Cup front air splitter and the 8 degree wing shims. Man, that was fun!

Geoff.
The distance you gained on the TT was probably more a factor of coming through 13,14,15 faster than the TT, thus you carry the higher speed down the straight. A stock 996TT is capable of 160 (indicated) down the front straight and 1:55 lap times with R tires at TWS with an experienced driver. My experience is that GT3's and TT run similar lap times with similar drivers.

Paul
Old 04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

That would make sense, but because he had r-compounds and suspension work (versus my stock tires), he would gain some distance during those last few turns, and would enter the straight at a higher speed--

Geoff.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:33 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been at TWS one particular time in my 996TT (stock engine, Ruf PSS9 coilovers) with an instructor driving a GT3 and was able to pull him down the straight (both on R tires). I attributed this to the higher exit speed, not more power. I have a similar experience at MSR with a different GT3. I haven't heard any GT3 lap times at TWS although I have timed others in 996TT's at 1:55. What lap times was the TT turning that weekend?

Regardless you probably are coming through 13-15 quite well which is definitely important for that long straight. Similarly turn's 5 and 6 are so important to get a good drive for the back straight.

Paul
Old 04-28-2005, 04:47 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

You're definitely right about the exit speeds on those turns--they're extremely important! I'm not sure what times the TT was running because I don't even know my own times! I've learned that I have to make sure I bring a transponder for the hotlap timer!

Geoff.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

That's definitely true about the power. A couple of weeks ago I was at the DE at Texas World Speedway. This is basically a Nascar track with an infield. During the last run session, I was running with a 996TT and another GT3. When on the Nascar part of the track (basically the straight), I would put some serious distance on the TT. I'd get on the straight at about 50ish mph, and by the end, I'd be hitting an indicated 150. And by the end of the straight, the car felt like it was just beginning to get moving! I was really amazed at how it would pull on a TT in the straight--there must really be some power there. True that the TT is all wheel drive and has the wide body, but I was also running the Cup front air splitter and the 8 degree wing shims. Man, that was fun!

Geoff.
Exiting from 15 at 50mph is quite slow. By comparison my exit speed on the straight is about 90-95mph and before I dive to turn 1 I'm about a buck 35. I'm pretty sure you had a much higher exit speed than 50mph as gaining 100mph before diving to turn 1 is not real even in your GT3. If you are running at the Green group I'm afraid you cannot compare as truly the exit speed from Mo is of paramount importance and the newbies anyway you slice it do not know the track or their cars really well. Well driven TT's have seen 160+ at the end of the straight.
TWS is a great and fast track and GT3 cup cars run it at 1.47 on race weekends. Like Paul said turn 6 is another important turn for the run to the back straight as well as having the guts to carry over speed on turn 7 at 100+mph. If you get below 2.00 its quite a good time.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:27 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Well, to be quite honest, I have never looked at the speedometer as I'm coming onto the banking, so I was estimating my speed. Between the last turn and coming onto the banking, I'm in the process of shifting from second to third, so it really can't be much more than 70ish (remember, I'm on street tires, and I do not want the end to step out with all the extra concrete around there!). I'm driving in the white run group, so I believe I do have a fair idea of the track, but on streets, I definitely do not have the guts to carry 100+ through 7. I don't know how else to explain it, but the GT3s are fast--

Geoff.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For the non believers. If you have a GT3, bring it to a dyno. Be sure to go on a dyno day, as many cars show up and you can establish a baseline. A dyno session is cheap (around $100).

Check other posts in this board about rwhp on the 996GT3, and you get the idea on how good the enhanced 997GT3 wet sump engine will be compared with the 996GT3 one.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:03 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
For the non believers. If you have a GT3, bring it to a dyno.
Why would PAG allow such discrepancy between the stated HP at the crank and the RWHP? You are talking about 40 HP difference here not to mention the RWHP is higher than at the crank. That is ALOT and very "backwards"!

Are you sure the dyno was set up correctly?
Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche dyno the engine when it's tight; after ~1000 miles the engine is producing noticably more power - mine was. If the engine leaves the factory with 380bhp +-5% at the crank, by 1000 miles 400bhp should easily be seen.

A modified version of the Carrera S 3.8 in the 997GT3 suggests a more massed produced car, which in turn suggests a GT3 that has to appeal to more people. This isn't gonna be a homologation special.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:24 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, to be quite honest, I have never looked at the speedometer as I'm coming onto the banking, so I was estimating my speed. Between the last turn and coming onto the banking, I'm in the process of shifting from second to third, so it really can't be much more than 70ish (remember, I'm on street tires, and I do not want the end to step out with all the extra concrete around there!). I'm driving in the white run group, so I believe I do have a fair idea of the track, but on streets, I definitely do not have the guts to carry 100+ through 7. I don't know how else to explain it, but the GT3s are fast--

Geoff.
No need to sell me on the GT3 power... with my humble race car I know exactly what it feels like seeing GT3's pulling away like there is not tomorrow on the main straight
Sorry I was under the assumption that you were a newbie at TWS reading your post. I dont blame you for not having the guts on street tires to take 7 at 100+mph! Its a leap of faith for me too even on R tires
I also dont blame you for not wanting to push on 15. Once too many times my tail has kicked out on full throttle there especially if i get a lot of understeer and I'm more on the right part of the turn instead of keeping it tidy on the inside. Slippery indeed that corner. Its interesting though that you are still loading 2nd gear there, although I have not driven a GT3 ( mostly because I KNOW I will want one ) usually from people I know and from my car we are loading 3rd gear at the exit. Even on streets I use to load 3rd gear , maybe you should try next time to "throw away" 13 read slower entry, to set up nicely for 14 and 15. keep it tight on 15 and let the car unwind and the tail should stay where it should even at full throttle on 3rd gear.

Like I said I truly believe the power the GT3 makes, its an awesome machine for sure and I love seeing them on the track getting a proper workout! Maybe we'll meet someday at TWS. Would love to see your GT3!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:58 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

DJF1, no worries about the "green" comment , and that's actually a very good point you make about throwing away 13. I usually try to hit that well to set up the rest of the complex, but that's definitely true if I tossed that corner to line up for a straighter 14-15 exit, then that would work. The amazing thing about the GT3 gearbox (one that we usually say around here that we want to change) is that the gears are so tall. That combined with a very high red line, and you can stay in a gear forever! In fact, I've found that going down the straight, I end up with a higher top speed by staying in 4th to 8k+ RPMs rather than shifting into 5th. Hope to see you there sometime. There's another DE in June!

Geoff.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoff - Have you discussed with RJ which gear he is in exiting Mo? Would be surprised that he'd drop back to 2....but as you say the GT3 gears have legs.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:04 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Hey Bill, how's it going? San Marino was awesome last weekend, huh? I haven't talked with RJ about which gear he's in through there. Instead of downshifting to 2nd right before turn 13, I could just stay in 3rd. It would lug a little, but could be easier than shifting on the exit. We'll see. Next time with r-compounds, I have a feeling the whole track will be much different!

Geoff.

Quick Reply: Update on 997GT3 engine