GT3 Pagid PS 19 Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Pagid PS 19 Brake Squeal

Gentlemen,

I have searched the GT3/GT2 Forum for suggestions, I have drressed down the Rennlist supplier for a poor product that does not meet specs and fit properly, and I find myself back at square one. (Rennlist Supplier was unhelpful and this is being very polite.)

Brakes were installed by a certified Porche mechanic at the dealership. They scrream, not squeal. Sounds like something from a Potergiest junkyard nightmare. The brakes work fine but man are they loud...You can hear me from far away.

Brakes were installed per the Pagid written instructions.

Help, I am soliciting suggestions/recommendations, tips etc.

I purchased this car to track it but I really enjoy driving it aroung town and my family embarrassed to ride in it9 I am too.)

I have tracked the car very succesfully at VIR and Summit Point 6 times since February and love it but I would like to take my wife to dinner in it without the screaming brakes.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MacGT3,

The noise you hear is perfectly normal for a race pad. The RS19 according to the Pagid motorsport website (http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html) is for the following purpose:

RS 19 Yellow
Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS 14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation. Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1.100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs realised with this pad compound is unmatched up to now. Due to its outstanding wear rate and driveability also used at many sprint races. Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup) up to GT and Sport-Prototypes. A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc change.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

i have had rs19 and rs44, my DOES NOT squeal or scream. you need to pad them in properly. also, this is a track pad, if you only drive on street, you will have to re-bed them every 3-400 miles else they will squeal. if you bedded them properly and use them mostly on track and occasionally on street, they will be pretty silent. and if you don't track a lot, like at least 15 days a year, you should change to street pads when on street. rs19 doesn't have enough bite when cold.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:16 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i have had rs19 and rs44, my DOES NOT squeal or scream. you need to pad them in properly. also, this is a track pad, if you only drive on street, you will have to re-bed them every 3-400 miles else they will squeal. if you bedded them properly and use them mostly on track and occasionally on street, they will be pretty silent. and if you don't track a lot, like at least 15 days a year, you should change to street pads when on street. rs19 doesn't have enough bite when cold.
does anyone have the proper bedding instructions for PCCB pads? tia
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The RS-19's are race pads, so if you can't take the squeal then put the street pads in when you aren't on the track. Quite simple really.
I think that the problem is not with the product because they are fantastic when put to the use for which they were designed. Not too many good restaurants on the Mulsanne straight to take the wife too, but if there were and there was room in the car for her with the roll cage etc. I'm sure that you could hit the parking lot from 150mph+ with next to no brake squeal.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

If they bother you change them at the track, some Pagids squeal more than others depending on compound.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting. My GT3 with RS 19 pads does not squeal except for the occasional low volume squeek. My wife's car with te same set up squeals like mad. The differences are:

My pads are chamfered all around - hers are not. Mine have the anti vibration plate hers do not. Lastly because her rear pads were too think to fit, the dealer removed the anti vibration "cups" for lack of a better word. Mine fit just fine. Larry Herman also reported fit problems with his RS 19s. Inconsistent perhaps?

Rgds
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

my rs19 and rs44 are installed as the come, edges are not chamfered as far as i can tell and i took out the factry spyder (anit squeal pad). they don't squeak on my cars. but the cars are used on track most of the time other than my drive to and from track.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 609 Posts

Sqeal smeal, why did you buy a GT3 than? The car is loud abnoixious and wonderful all at the same time.

If I don't hear loud squealing, banging, knocking, popping, or grinding noises, I think something is wrong.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosmos
Sqeal smeal, why did you buy a GT3 than? The car is loud abnoixious and wonderful all at the same time.

If I don't hear loud squealing, banging, knocking, popping, or grinding noises, I think something is wrong.
And that's even before you turn on the ignition.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Thank you for the responses, the rear pads would not fit without the removal of the anti squeak shims, per your helpful recomendations, from many months ago Mr. Rouleau, I insured that the pads were chamfered per instructions from Pagid and I was aware of the fit issues with the pads on your wifes car. You also mentioned that after 4 track sessions that enough pad had worn off so that the shims could then be installed the squeal was reduced.

After six such sessions I had the shims installed today and although the noise is slightly less it is still very loud, however, per the suggestion by Mooty, I did not try to rebed the pads today and this is a very valualble suggestion and I will try this tomorrow.

If this effort is not successful then I believe I will move to the suggestion by JASCLASS and I will have deicated pads and rotors for the street and track which will overcome this issue. I was hopping to avoid this but I may not be able too.

I thank all of you for your responses and hope that I will only be fortunate enough to one day meet Racerron at the track to see who can best parrallel park at 150+mph with or without sqeaking breaks at the track restaurant.

Racerron, you must be an exception, although I have raced numerous Nissan Z cars and Corvettes for many years and now include a GT3 in my stable, it is a rare Porche guy that is willing to go 150+mph anywhere much less a parking lot.

I look forward to meeting you.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
brucegre
Banned

MacGT3, yeah, they do squeal. I've got the Brembo floating rotors, with the new RS-29 pads, so now my car clicks and squeals. The looks from people at stop lights are the funniest - "look at the dweeb in the p-car, can't even afford to maintain the brakes". If they only knew ...

Anyway, I really wanted to ask about your comment "it is a rare Porche guy that is willing to go 150+mph anywhere ". Really? I know that me, Bob Rouleau and all the other GT3s in our region hit that on every lap just before we run out of straight. At Mosport, it's closer to 160, and the car is loving it. These things were built to run, if you've done it in a vette, you have to do it in your GT3.

Enjoy,
Bruce
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 609 Posts

Bruce,

How do you like the 29 pads??

I have to jump in and flex my speed muscle for a second. I hardly ever do it in real life and this forum is great.

The fastest I have gone in the GT3 was an indicated 186mph. I hit 167mph before braking for turn 1 at California speedway.

My take is, that if you don't take this car on the track regularly, then you are missing out on somthing very special.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

My take is, that if you don't take this car on the track regularly, then you are missing out on somthing very special.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

btw, i just had brembo floating rotors put on my front. oh yeah, they do click noisily ;-)

Quick Reply: GT3 Pagid PS 19 Brake Squeal