Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day with PCCB: No Problem, But ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:43 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Track Day with PCCB: No Problem, But ?

I took the GT3 to the track on Friday at Carlolina Motorsport Park. It was an open day where GT1 class cars were doing test and tune, and someone from the local Porsche dealership put togather about 18 cars to run in between the GT1 cars. I did 5 30 minute sessions on the 2.235 track. There were 4 GT3's at the track.

Thanks to everyone on this board that has listed hot tire temps. No surprise here. The first couple of sessions proved to be challenging getting the tire pressures correct. Take a look at my front tire. It they would not melt, it would not be an issue! I knew the tires would melt.

Now the PCCB debate. The big day! The brakes worked great. Great feel, no fade, etc....Take a look at the picture. Also, the car has 5100 miles on these brakes. Rotors look fine, but what is going on with the pads? After every session I watched them transform into what they are now. Thoughts? Do they need replacing? They look like they are caroding.
Attached Images    
Old 03-27-2005, 10:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just getting hot, are those the new generation versions. The first ones have a history of short track life, while the new gen have superior cooling.
BTW, sweet color on a GT3!
I'm so jealous, my first track outing got cancelled bc of SNOW!!!!
Chris
Old 03-27-2005, 11:13 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those are the not the new generation rotors, they are the first generation. It weems that the problem with the first generation occured when the ABS engaged and hammered on on the disc, causing flaking..which in turn caused the pad to disintegrate.

So it would seem that on your excursions you did not overly engage the ABS (to cause any damage). Is this correct?

With respect to the discolouration of the pad..I think it's just the effect of the heat..but I would (and did) replace them.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:17 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops!

I also noticed that those pads are black..and if they are they are what I think they are ( a softer version of the yellow pad) then you don't want to use them on the track. You want the yellows or greens..sorry I can't remember the part numbers. However, a search will yield gobs of information and advice on the "correct" pad compounds and part numbers.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As Colm said, those look like gen 1 PCCB. Beautiful cobalt car! GT, your tires will be toast soon. Regarding your pads, it's probably just the effect of heat/moisture.

Pop 'em out and take a good look at them. If they're chunking/pitting or the edges are crumbling, I'd replace them.

Colm, where did you find that the PCCB flaking was likely the result of the ABS?

Cheers
Old 03-27-2005, 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

RJ, are you getting a black on black GT3? My brother(DJ996) in H town has a friend who jut ordered such a car, he's extremely jealous!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

The pads are the yellow pads that were delivered on the car. After the first run, there was no yellow left. I have engaged the ABS before, but only maybe once at the track.

Does anyone know a good place in the US to buy new pads at list price?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:24 PM
DonneyJ
Instructor

After you've finished tracking have a short slow drive trying not to use the brakes to cool em down and then park up in gear without the handbrake on. (source Porsche PDE instructor)
Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
RJ, are you getting a black on black GT3? My brother(DJ996) in H town has a friend who jut ordered such a car, he's extremely jealous!
Yeppers, that's me. However, I'll be the one who's jealous if he decides to Ruf up his C2. Chris, I'm sure that you can help him make that decision.

Perhaps we'll all get to track at the same event someday!

Last edited by RJFabCab; 03-27-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My Yellow pads with PCCB's cracked after one day of mild lapping...less then yours...if those pad fall apart they could hurt your PCCB rotors...change them.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
It weems that the problem with the first generation occured when the ABS engaged and hammered on on the disc, causing flaking..which in turn caused the pad to disintegrate.
Colm: I could be wrong, but I think it's the other way around. The pads overheat (due perhaps to excessive abs activation) and that causes rotor damage eventually. Also, it seems the "green" racing pads can really cause premature PCCB rotor damage (due to pad destruction and the resultant metal to ceramic contact) or so I've been told. Who knows the real story???

As an aside, according to the F-car tech, it's the number of heat cycles (not external wear) that determines when the 360 CS carbon rotors are due for replacement -- the CS computer measures this factor. Apparently it's the bonding agent (holding the carbon/ceramic composite (??) together) that can eventually go bad and causes the "flaking" type of deterioration to occur. Don't know if that's the same issue that occurs with the PCCB's. No F-car negative experiences with the Brembo carbon brakes have been reported yet, but it's probably too early to tell.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:36 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Does this mean that if we disable the abs on the track we might slow the PCCB rotor wear?

Another benefit would learning how to threshold break again.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:02 PM
rmrmd1956
Instructor

What times did you turn? Anything under 1:50?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A few observations:

Gen 1 PCCB become unusable due to excess heat and or a lack of cooling,

ABS may contribute to overheating but there is no evidence of this that I know of.

Porsche changed the Yellow "Sport" pads last year. The new compostion is a different color although still called "Yellow". I think I heard that thaey are black and white (striped) but I am not sure.

PCCB will last longer if you try and cool them after each session.

PCCB will last longer if you replace pads before they are 50 percent used. Thicker pads absorb more heat and help prevent overheating the rotors.

Gen 1 PCCB will last a long time if you replace them with steel rotors like I did.

Rgds,
Old 03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Maybe it's me, but I though that your tires looked fine. When they look all nice & smooth, you're not going fast enough!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Track Day with PCCB: No Problem, But ?