Old 03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Well, stop by and see car. Almost 50,000 miles on my factory orginal brakes system, including pads. But I guess it must not be true because you said it can't be. Maybe I am driving with no brakes?
maybe you could get "Just Another Porsche" to stop by and see your car. Then he or she could post back to the board!!!!....
Old 03-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
maybe you could get "Just Another Porsche" to stop by and see your car. Then he or she could post back to the board!!!!....
Is that the guy that likes to play with himself? I thought the chastising The Pope gave him would have put an end to that...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he hears voices, or something like that. Maybe he channels the spirit of Windward Performance?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Would you define "driving hard, but properly"?

Those are longer lives than I've heard of for consummables.

Mike: I consider hard street driving as just that..hard. Fast sprints, tight fast corners, etc. Thins inclde some staight line tracking. I am sure you can imagine how hard I drive my SC'd 996? As far as the wear and tear on brakes and clutches, I have always gotten high mileage out of both, no matter what carit is. Too many drivers think its less wear on the brakes to lightly apply them and slow down to a stop gradually. This is the complete opposite of what is true. Firm, short braking will always be easier on the brake pads and dics. With a manual transmission, downshifting also helps.

I have never gotten less than 40,000 miles out of the front brakes on any car (37 so far). This includes the heavy automatics such as the BMW 740IL and SUV's. Braking to a stop should be a short firm process and the engine should be used for the slow decreases in speed.

I don't know why you are surprised, but most people I know experience similar life out of their brakes, except for the ones that are told by the dealer that they NEED new brakes so they can make a buck.

I have almost 50,000 on the factory brakes and clutch on my 996, and orginal clutch on my 126,000 mile accord. I expect to have to replace the brakes on the Porsche probably closer to 55,000 - 60,000 miles. The clutch should last well to 100,000 miles.

However, I know of 2 people with Porsches who make me cringe every time I hear them take off burning up their clutches due to improper technic. Some people can't seem to get the process down right.

I guess I shouldn't tell you that I also have the original sensors, such as the MAF, on my car cuz some people on this board will challenge me on that too. It is unfortunate that some people would rather try everything they can to discredit others just because their experience is different. Others look to forums such as this to get different ideas and incorporate them into their driving experience as appropriate.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Mike: I consider hard street driving as just that..hard. Fast sprints, tight fast corners, etc. Thins inclde some staight line tracking. I am sure you can imagine how hard I drive my SC'd 996? As far as the wear and tear on brakes and clutches, I have always gotten high mileage out of both, no matter what carit is. Too many drivers think its less wear on the brakes to lightly apply them and slow down to a stop gradually. This is the complete opposite of what is true. Firm, short braking will always be easier on the brake pads and dics. With a manual transmission, downshifting also helps.

I have never gotten less than 40,000 miles out of the front brakes on any car (37 so far). This includes the heavy automatics such as the BMW 740IL and SUV's. Braking to a stop should be a short firm process and the engine should be used for the slow decreases in speed.

I don't know why you are surprised, but most people I know experience similar life out of their brakes, except for the ones that are told by the dealer that they NEED new brakes so they can make a buck.

I have almost 50,000 on the factory brakes and clutch on my 996, and orginal clutch on my 126,000 mile accord. I expect to have to replace the brakes on the Porsche probably closer to 55,000 - 60,000 miles. The clutch should last well to 100,000 miles.

However, I know of 2 people with Porsches who make me cringe every time I hear them take off burning up their clutches due to improper technic. Some people can't seem to get the process down right.

I guess I shouldn't tell you that I also have the original sensors, such as the MAF, on my car cuz some people on this board will challenge me on that too. It is unfortunate that some people would rather try everything they can to discredit others just because their experience is different. Others look to forums such as this to get different ideas and incorporate them into their driving experience as appropriate.
I guess there are degrees of "hard". One man's "hard" may be another man's "soft".

I find OEM pads short-lived when driven "hard", but they are quiet. How much pad material is left on yours at this point?

BTW "Properly" is probably how every driver feels he drives.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
I guess there are degrees of "hard". One man's "hard" may be another man's "soft".

I find OEM pads short-lived when driven "hard", but they are quiet. How much pad material is left on yours at this point?

BTW "Properly" is probably how every driver feels he drives.
I haven't had the front wheels off since last summer. At that time there was probably 30% or more left. When the car had about 20,000 miles on it, the pad sensor light came on and since I was going to the dealer to have the coolant tank replaced under warranty, I had them check it. They told me that I needed new brakes ALL AROUND). I laughed and haven't been back since.

I'll probably put new pads on and bleed the system at the end of this summer whether they need them or not. I should have 55,000 plus on them by then. But you know brakes...the last of the good material can go pretty fast.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arenared
Any guess as to how much "more" feasible is this on a later eGas 986/996?
Its the same situation for installing 3.4's or 3.6's into Boxsters; one must use a cable throttle motor in a cable throttle car and one uses the E-gas motor in an E-gas car.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
I don't think that's the reason. The C4 chassis is more rigid ahead of the firewall. Also, the GT cars have a seam welded body rather than the typical 996 spot welded version.
Hartmut Kristen was quoted in Excellence June 2003: "Incidentally, we use a Carrera 4 shell (for the GT3) because, once you take the front differential out, you can get a bigger fuel tank in. Adding a new bottom to the tank provides 89 liters (of capacity) instead of the 64 liters that the C2/C4 has - although US versions will get the 64 liter tank as US crash regulations do not allow the fuel tank to be in the center of the axle."

It makes perfect sense for the C4's chassis to be more rigid with all four wheels being powered. The extra room for the larger fuel cell is probably just a bonus.

This thread started out sloooooooow but sure is finishing strong! Man, I love this place!

Cheers
Old 03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I have almost 50,000 on the factory brakes and clutch on my 996, and orginal clutch on my 126,000 mile accord. I expect to have to replace the brakes on the Porsche probably closer to 55,000 - 60,000 miles.
I estimate you have 10 posts in this thread - none funnier than this.

I just hope no one else read your remaining 815 posts and thought they learned anything. I know I'm not going to read them and risk a head explosion from laughing so hard.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1999Porsche911................You must be the shock manufacturers worst nightmare..........the rule of thumb for a daily driver according to the good folks at Monroe, Michigan is that the best life of an average shock is used up by 50-60,000miles. After that yes the shock will still damp to some extent but will be worn enough to warrant replacement. Unless that is, you like to see daylight under the tire when driving on a slightly bumpy surface, unfortunately the tires don't like it very much and become quite worn but only every other inch of circumferance. So if you can figure out a way to only use the good inches of the tire I would reccommend the shocks were changed a little more often than never as you are suggesting.
It would be a very interesting excercise to take your lifetime shocks and dyno them just to see how much the performance has degraded.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni

I just hope no one else read your remaining 815 posts and thought they learned anything. I know I'm not going to read them and risk a head explosion from laughing so hard.
So are you saying that I am lying?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni

Oh,and by the way, there are at least 3 posts on this forum in which you thanked me for my help. But...I guess I know nothing. It's ego time for you I guess. I bow to the king.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you saying that I am lying?
umm...I'm pretty sure EJ is not calling your a liar............
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Are you lying that shocks can last 100,000 miles - YES!

Are you lying that a clutch can last 50,000 miles - nope

Are you lying that front brakes on a 911 can last 55,000 miles and still be safe - YES!

You said it, not me
Old 03-24-2005, 10:08 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Crap, I need to edit my post, don't want Denny Crane coming after me.

Quick Reply: Sticking GT3 engine in regular 996