Sticking GT3 engine in regular 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Steve,
Well let's just get it back on track then... Do you think a GT3 Engine would work in my 993? Where would I mount the radiator or the coolant holding tank?
Hi Greg:

I'd agree, good idea......

The GT-3 engine in a 993 offers a whole new realm of performance, given the ease of 400-450+ HP. Further, it mates perfectly with your gearbox. Early Mk I versions are cable throttle; later drive-by-wire versions require compatible wiring harnesses and throttle assembly.

Under the heading of "anything is possible", one would mount the radiators in the front of the tub with a custom nose, suitably modified of course, and exhaust the air over the front decklid.

The coolant holding tank must be positioned slightly higher than the engine to facilitate purging air in the cooling system and that could go either in the engine compartment or up front. I like the rear, personally, closer to the water pumps.

I think Kelly-Moss did such a car,.......

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-25-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KMR did a 993 with a GT-3 Cup car motor and a lot of tricks (it was featured in excellence a few years back) Neat article and of course steller work.
They placed a single radiator in the front - in front of the fuel cell with ducting from the bumper into the radiator then exiting out a vent in the hood. seemed like a good solution - plus it keeps the radiator safe from derbis (to an extent)
a GT-3 motor in a early 911 would be interesting too....
Old 03-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That was a very trick car as they even mounted the engine/transmission a bit forward for improved weight distribution. Moving 600+ lbs an inch or two makes a very big difference.

Exhausting hot air from a radiator (water or oil) over the hood instead of under the car or into the wheel wells, reduces lift and increases front downforce; both being very good objectives.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember and have seen that car. I heard the build was well over $300k.... Also PCA will not allow such a hybrid to race with them any longer.

Quick Reply: Sticking GT3 engine in regular 996